This is driving me nuts

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pettyfan45

Re: This is driving me nuts

Post by pettyfan45 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:41 am

I got the report from my sleep study...
The patient underwent 16-channel polysomnography secondary to a previous study of mild obstructive
sleep apnea back in December 2014. He has lost 30 pounds since then. He is still having fatigue and
excessive daytime sleepiness. He is taking Ambien at bedtime.

Looking back at the previous study of 12/28/2014. That study again showed an apnea-hypopnea index
that was mild pushing moderate 14 with a respiratory disturbance index of 16. Average sat was 96%, low
down to 90%. The arousal index was only 13, snoring at 152 per hour. There was no leg movements and
there was no significant tachycardia or bradycardia. He did not sleep well for that night, only slept about
a third of the night.

The recorded weight back then was 235 pounds with a BMI of 35. Now his recorded weight is 220 with a
BMI of 33. He is studied on 10/15/2015 from 10:25 p.m. to 4:33 a.m. Total record time was 368 minutes.
Total sleep time 195 minutes. Sleep efficiency was 53%. Sleep latency was 10 minutes. REM latency
was 191 minutes.

IMPRESSIONS:
1. No significant sleep disorder breathing on this study. Apnea-hypopnea index was 33, respiratory
disturbance index was 4. This was based off of 2 obstructive apneas, 7 hypopneas and a respiratory
effort-related arousal (RERA) index of 1.
2. No significant nocturnal desaturations. Average sat was 96% and even though the low was reported
down to 85%, in realistic terms there was only artifact of less than 90%.
3. Very mild arousal index at 16 per hour which are predominantly spontaneous. Rare leg movement.
4. Mild snoring at 56 per hour.
5. Mild leg movements at 18 per hour.
6. Average heart rate at nighttime was 118, that was while awake. Low was 55. Average for the entire
night a heart rate of 112 while asleep. Finally it did come down after he relaxed a little bit.
7. Again he did not sleep great for the night. We got just over 3 hours in the middle of the night. But we
got enough results to show sleep and his sleep apnea is better with just the little bit of weight loss he had.

RECOMMENDATIONS: Continued weight loss and consideration for evaluation of nonsleep related issues
for insomnia, fatigue

This run around is fracking ridiculous. All the non sleep related tests I have done on me have come back normal, that is why they had me do the sleep study in the first place. Where should I go from here, see about going to different hospital, or something else?

tiredandscared

Re: This is driving me nuts

Post by tiredandscared » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:24 am

This sounds like UARS or mild sleep apnea. I'd go off symptoms. Remember that sometimes that sleep study equipment hinders us from sleeping like we should.