Clean filters

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Carlton

Clean filters

Post by Carlton » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:44 am

I've had my apap for about six months and its starting to get noisy so I decided to clean the filters but there is no filter box on the back and it looks like the filter must be built inside the machine.
I have a Respironics REMstar auto the model without the Cflex.
Is this right? Can Anyone offer advice?
The machines model no is 1007382

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:45 pm

Carlton,

Is there a rectanglular "hole" in the back?
If there is, it sounds like you might be missing something.....

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ozij

The Remstar Auto Manual

Post by ozij » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:03 pm

The Remstar Auto Manual

There's a drawing of how you insert the filters, on page 9.

O.

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:11 pm

I also have a Remstar Auto and the filters go on the back of the machine. They go over the air intake, and are covered by a small black plastic cover with the slot (opening) pointing downward. Hopefully you haven't been running without filters all this time.

The filters are supposed to be changed (fine filter) or washed (gross particle filter) much more often than 6 months.

Usually changing and/or washing filters is easy preventative maintenance, as opposed to waiting for the machine to make noise.

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:50 am

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately it looks as though i've been running without filters for over six months. They were not supplied with the machine and there is no filter cover either. I'm hoping this has not been TOO bad for my health.
I'm contacting the sleep clinic that supplied me today but if I get no joy then does anybody know where I can get the filters and cover unit?

Many Thanks

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:44 am

The filters you can definitely get at https://www.cpap.com.
Why not call them and ask about the cover?

They have a 1-800 no. that you can dial - it won't be free from the UK - but it will get you the connection.

You seem to have survived those filterless months - I'm not so sure about your machine though....

Take care, and good luck.
O.

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:34 am

I agree with the comment about wondering how your machine is doing.

Noise is not a good thing in any machine (cpap or any other). Do you own this or is it a DME rental? I would carefully consider whether or not you would want to own (rent to buy) this particiular machine if you don't already. If it is a rental, I would think that the DME should have gone over it with you and installed the filters with you and given you instructions on how often to change The info is also in the user manual...

If you BOUGHT it from a brick and morter DME they probably still should have gone over it with you and you should still have that manual.

In either of these cases assuming they did not go over it properly with you and you are missing a piece of the machine I would go back to them with the noise issue now.

If you bought it outright from an online vendor, then you should have carefully read the manuals and I would think you would be liable for repairs should damage have been done by not installing filters.

Good luck, and lets hope that the filters are purely for you health and not the health of the machine.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:58 am

The machine was supplied and set up by the sleep clinic, we don't have DME's over here in the UK its either National Health Service, Private Insurance or pay yourself, in my case the NHS wouldn't help so treatment, studies, machine etc came out of my own pocket.
I have emailed the sleep centre today and am expecting them to try and get out of it, but who knows.

brasshopper

booty1996

Post by brasshopper » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:56 pm

This idiot has been posting crap in a bunch of the topics here. He is probably just trying to stir up crap, or troll, or whatever.

Goofproof

Booty waste

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:20 pm

It must be raining again, or it's parents, ran away for the weekend and forgot to turn off the utilites. Maybe they forgot to put the chair under the door knob on the closet door. However it's for certain his low IQ can reach the keyboard, although it has no idea what one is for. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

birdiebaby

Post by birdiebaby » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:40 pm

It must be raining again, or it's parents, ran away for the weekend and forgot to turn off the utilites.
My guess is that he isn't properly titrated. Does anyone mind if I show him where to stick a hose???

RedThunder94

Post by RedThunder94 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:45 pm

birdiebaby wrote:
It must be raining again, or it's parents, ran away for the weekend and forgot to turn off the utilites.
My guess is that he isn't properly titrated. Does anyone mind if I show him where to stick a hose???

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:21 pm

Carlton,
Please try to ignore the rude 'guest' posts that appear from time to time.
Most of us are here to help each other. As for your problem, I think you should push for another machine, or at least a tear down and clean..

mild6

Post by mild6 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:35 am

ozij
how do u change your paper filter on your pb420e?

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:48 am

Carlton
You have the same CPAP machine that I have. There are two filters in the back of it. There should also be a cover. one filter is a piefce of grey foam. the second filter is white you can get them from your DME or from https://www.cpap.com