Bad bad bad night. Did I go too far?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Daydream Believer

Bad bad bad night. Did I go too far?

Post by Daydream Believer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:53 am

I increased min pressure to 7 last night. I woke suddenly around 2:30am in a hazy panic... Got up out of bed. Spent the morning napping on the couch and trying to get my brain to work.

Could 7 be too high for me?

Amy

BlackSpinner

Re: Bad bad bad night. Did I go too far?

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:55 am

I don't know what it was before but we generally suggest only a .5 increase and leave it there for a few days.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:06 pm

I stepped from 5 to 6 a few days ago. Tried 7 last night cause my AHI just isn't going down. I'm backing down tonight. Maybe back to 6 just so I can catch up on sleep. Sleepyhead show periodic breathing for the last couple minutes before I startled to wake. Silly me - I thought this would be a steady improvement.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:34 pm

one night does not a trend make.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:54 pm

palerider wrote:one night does not a trend make.
+1

Give it several nights to a week before making another change.
In 2005, I started out on a pressure of 10 cm. and a year later I decided to bump my pressure up from 10 to 12 and I had a helluva time getting to sleep for a couple of nights.

Den

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:13 pm

Did you do a titration sleep study? What did it show?

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:09 pm

englandsf wrote:Did you do a titration sleep study? What did it show?
No titration. A home sleep test ordered by my doc. It said the apnea was slight at around 7.5 AHI. I've had worse AHI than that many nights while using cpap. But I really only slept about 2hours that night so hard telling what it really is. I was prescribed minimum pressure of 4 with the max open to 20. But in my month on cpap I've only had like 2 nights with an AHI under 5.

Blah! I need some good sleep.
Amy

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:29 pm

You might consider trying straight pressure. It could be the pressure changes are wrecking your sleep and waking you up.

Den

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:02 pm

I'm with Den. It looks like your machine is set at 7 - 20. I'd move that max down to around 10. It doesn't appear that you're going much over that, anyway. Lowering your min pressure from 7 probably won't do much for you since the machine will just raise it once it sees you are having apneas. It looks like the machine wants to keep you around 8, so you could raise the min to 8. An 8-10 spread might be less disturbing. Or as Den suggests, you could try a fixed pressure, say around 9. You have quite a few CA which are contributing to your overall AHI, but I'm guessing you're awake (1:30-2:30) or being disturbed by the pressure and nearly awake so they shouldn't count. Forget about your ahi for a while and concentrate on getting comfortable with the machine. Your first goal should be to sleep through the night and then worry about bringing your ahi down. Once you're comfortable, you can make small changes over a longer period of time to improve your therapy. My experience, similar to Den's and others, is that it take me about a week or maybe a little longer to adjust to a change in therapy (mask, pressure, epr, etc). So, take it slow and I think you'll have better results.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:26 pm

I liked the suggestion of setting at 7-10 and giving it a week without further changes.
Your leaks look excelent.
Just give yourself a chance to get used to CPAP.

What happened after 1:30? If you just took the mask off and went back to sleep that could be a major problem.
You need to learn to keep the mask on.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Daydream Believer wrote:
englandsf wrote:Did you do a titration sleep study? What did it show?
No titration. A home sleep test ordered by my doc. It said the apnea was slight at around 7.5 AHI. I've had worse AHI than that many nights while using cpap. But I really only slept about 2hours that night so hard telling what it really is. I was prescribed minimum pressure of 4 with the max open to 20. But in my month on cpap I've only had like 2 nights with an AHI under 5.

Blah! I need some good sleep.
Amy
Your "sleep professionals" leave alot to be desired.

I would suggest a fixed pressure of 8 or 9 for a week and see what things look like.

When first starting out, there are too many things that can cause the pressures to bounce around. Therefore, I highly recommend fixed pressures for new users.

Den

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:45 pm

bwexler wrote: What happened after 1:30? If you just took the mask off and went back to sleep that could be a major problem.
You need to learn to keep the mask on.
I've only taken the mask off once in this month. A couple weeks ago.

Last night I woke around 2:30am (with my mask on) feeling panicked - came into the living room and laid down on the couch after a while. I've never had this feeling before. That's why I worry about a higher pressure.

Through this month I've found I tend to have more centrals and hypopneas and they tend to be spread out throughout the night. Sometimes clusters of two or three. Usually only a few obstructive apneas.

My "sleep like Android" app says I didn't have any REM sleep last night. Not very scientific but it usually does a decent job recognizing my active vs. non active sleep time. I made some weird noises while asleep too. Lots of grumpy, unhappy sounds.

I really don't want a repeat of last night. I have a rough time with fatigue through the day even when I get 8 hours of sleep.

Uncle Sigh

Post by Uncle Sigh » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Daydream Believer wrote: Amy
Last night? That was Saturday.

Saturday I had too much play, too much food and too much alcohol. My night in bed wasn't so good. Had nothing to do with CPAP.

You do understand there is a lot more than CPAP settings that affect your sleep?

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:16 am

BlackSpinner wrote:I don't know what it was before but we generally suggest only a .5 increase and leave it there for a few days.
I took your advice - backed down to 6.5. Much better night! I also increased the "aflex" to 3 - which helps me to relax a bit more I think. I'll stay here for a bit and see if it improves any more.

Amy

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:25 am

Uncle Sigh wrote:
Daydream Believer wrote: Amy
Last night? That was Saturday.

Saturday I had too much play, too much food and too much alcohol. My night in bed wasn't so good. Had nothing to do with CPAP.

You do understand there is a lot more than CPAP settings that affect your sleep?

I don't have "too much" of anything these days! Except doctor appointments, that is. But I'll happily live vicariously if you ever want to share stories of your exploits.