12VDC to 24VDC converter or a 12VDC to 120VAC inverter

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: 12VDC to 24VDC converter or a 12VDC to 120VAC inverter

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:48 pm

terrydk wrote:ResMed still hasn't released the DC to DC converter for the Airsense 10 and I need to find a power source from my 12V battery supply in my travel trailer to power it. I sent ResMed an email asking about using a modified sine wave inverter but haven't heard anything back yet. I don't use the humidifier or the heated tube. I found a couple of 12 to 24vdc converters on Amazon for $25-$35 that look like they would work. Does anyone have any idea of the size of the power plug on the Airsense 10? I also found a cigarette lighter plug type on the internet that has the option of several different adapter tips but don't know which one I need to fit the Airsense 10.
the switched mode power supply that the AS10 uses doesn't care that much about what kind of power feeds it, true sine, modified sine... maybe even square wave, the old linear power supplies with transformers didn't like the harmonics that blocky power had, it would cause them to overheat, switched mode pretty much doesn't care.

think about all the cheap ups's that power computers without any problem... the as10 ps is similar in design to modern 110-240v computer power supplies.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

js12278

Post by js12278 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:52 pm

I'm betting D'Cruz is a typo and was intended to be DC.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:58 pm

terrydk wrote:ResMed still hasn't released the DC to DC converter for the Airsense 10 and I need to find a power source from my 12V battery supply in my travel trailer to power it. I sent ResMed an email asking about using a modified sine wave inverter but haven't heard anything back yet. I don't use the humidifier or the heated tube. I found a couple of 12 to 24vdc converters on Amazon for $25-$35 that look like they would work. Does anyone have any idea of the size of the power plug on the Airsense 10? I also found a cigarette lighter plug type on the internet that has the option of several different adapter tips but don't know which one I need to fit the Airsense 10.
S9 machines are crippled to only work with ResMed power supplies and ResMed DC converters. I would expect A10 machines to be similarly crippled. There's a 3rd wire with an undocumented signal on it that the S( machine won't work without. Someone posted that it has a serial data signal on it.

S9 machines have what appears to be a custom plug. I haven't seen the A10 plug yet.

You'll probably be stuck with using an inverter. ResMed has a new battery and inverter guide http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/ ... lo_eng.pdf, but it doesn't specify whether the A10 can use a MSW inverter.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

terrydk

Post by terrydk » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:01 am

archangle wrote:
S9 machines are crippled to only work with ResMed power supplies and ResMed DC converters. I would expect A10 machines to be similarly crippled. There's a 3rd wire with an undocumented signal on it that the S( machine won't work without. Someone posted that it has a serial data signal on it.

S9 machines have what appears to be a custom plug. I haven't seen the A10 plug yet.

You'll probably be stuck with using an inverter. ResMed has a new battery and inverter guide http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/ ... lo_eng.pdf, but it doesn't specify whether the A10 can use a MSW inverter.
I got a reply back from ResMed last night.

"Thank you for Contacting Resmed technical Support. The Part number to the A10 Converter is Pt# 37297. As for Inverters, the minimum requirement for the unit is a 150w Modified Sine Wave inverter. The Requirement for the S9 and A10 machines does not change with the use\absence of the Humidifier. Your current Inverter is more than adequate to power the A10 unit.

As for power consumption: The Humidifier does greatly increase the power consumption of the unit, and you will save quite a bit of power by not using it."

So the 300 watt I have wil be more than adequate but is pretty old so I think I will look into picking up another smaller one. No mention of needing to use a True or Pure Sine wave type even with the humidifier.