trouble adjusting-- anxiety and noise =(

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jillianwi

trouble adjusting-- anxiety and noise =(

Post by jillianwi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi! I am hoping someone here can give me some suggestions... I am getting ready to try the CPAP for the second time after taking a month off. My first try lasted about 3 weeks-- first 2 nights fine, although i didn't feel any different during the day. Then, I got a cold. With the cold, I couldn't sleep, and somehow that got tangled up with my ideas about CPAP and I ended up with anxiety that kept me from sleeping.

Sleep MD recommended a break and to try a mouthpiece (ow!) and a body pillow to keep me on my side (no problem there); also to see my psychiatrist to help with the anxiety. Obviously he explained that these measures are not as good as CPAP for treating my apnea. My psychiatrist recommended taking either Ambien or alprazolam when I first go back on CPAP, to try to break the cycle. Also to try "mindfulness"-- need to go back to the library, the first book recommended focusing on breathing which as I'll explain is my problem.

I find that when I am trying to get to sleep with the CPAP I am really bothered by the sound of my breathing, and get so fixated on it that I can't relax. I tried earplugs which (obviously to me now) make it worse! It didn't occur to me that changing the mask might affect that noise until I saw mentions of it in other threads, but I wasn't sure what "noise" the posters were referring to. I should mention the mask is comfortable and is not causing me any other problems (just had a little bit of nasal soreness the first night).

So, I am hoping for suggestions on quelling the anxiety, and also to ask if anyone thinks a different mask might help quiet the sound of my breathing.

Thanks so much in advance!

I currently have a Philips Respironic System One RemStar Auto with AutoFlex. Mask is nasal pillows, Philips Respironics Nuance.

kteague

Re: trouble adjusting-- anxiety and noise =(

Post by kteague » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Welcome to round 2! Do those things you can to minimize the machine sounds, but I don't know that much can be done to lessen normal mask sounds for each mask, aside from setting the machine lower to make the sound of the air going into the hose farther away, making sure the vent air isn't blowing onto your sheet, and that the hose isn't resting against something that conducts more sound. Have you already tried background noise such as a fan or low soothing background music? Just want to encourage you try to reframe your thinking about the sounds. I've read descriptions others have posted who considered the sounds affirming, maybe even endearing. For me the sounds are like a security blanket, reassuring me that when I fall asleep I will not be jolted awake by choking,coughing or with my heart racing while I frantically try to catch my breath. I am calmed by the sound of my breathing. Some find their rhythmic nature lulls them to sleep. Maybe you can find your place of peace with them. If not, it would be a tough decision giving up a good fitting mask, but maybe another would be quieter. Good luck.

jillianwi

Post by jillianwi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:41 pm

I haven't tried white noise, because I like it as silent as possible when I am trying to sleep. But, at this point, maybe that little distraction would help. Thank you for your reassurance about my mask. =) Part of my problem is that without CPAP, I sleep just fine, I never wake up with symptoms. BUT I am so tired during the day that getting anything done is a struggle. So I know I really need to get this under control.

sleepy1235

Post by sleepy1235 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Try nasal pillows.

Think about something to take your mind off the noise. Something that will require sustained thought, but not engage you in exciting thought. I used to calculate prime numbers in my head and would fall asleep. However, after a while I knew them by heart up to 137 and it didn't work. Plan a garden in your mind is both fun and preoccupying. Think about your favorite hobby. Or think of something that will engage you. What ten cities would you like to visit and why. Something that won't frustrate you and take your mind off all other things.

If you are tired you will fall asleep. I think time will get you used to the sounds.

However, others may have other suggestions. That you need the CPAP is a given. I am sure people find different ways to adapt.

I adapted instantly, I was so overjoyed that something could be done about being sleepy and I feel the air was life giving. I actually like the CPAP pushing air into my lungs. Maybe it was just my positive thinking, or the nasal pillows.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:02 pm

jillianwi wrote: Part of my problem is that without CPAP, I sleep just fine, I never wake up with symptoms. BUT I am so tired during the day that getting anything done is a struggle.
IF you slept fine without cpap, you wouldn't NEED cpap. just because you don't remember choking and gasping in your sleep doesn't mean you slept fine... just that you slept through it.

the right mindset helps.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepingZ

Post by SleepingZ » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:10 pm

I find the Pilairo Q nasal pillow mask to be very quiet. It has a filter on the exhalation holes, and it seems to work as a muffler.
Here is a link:
http://www.fphcare.com/files/documents/ ... pec-sheet/

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:20 pm

I sewed a fleece "hose cozy" that covers the hose from the point of exit at the cpap machine, to within about 10" from where the secondary hose enters the mask. It fits loosely, and is held on by a hair tie at each end. I don't know if it cuts any noise level down, but it's less distracting to have that bump me in the night than a plastic hose. Could the hose itself be bothering you? If the machine is making too much noise, try lowering it a few inches from the height of the mattress, if it's not already. If it's the mask...I have no clue what your pressure is set for, mine is really low, so the only time the sound bugs me is if I knock it loose and get leakage. In which case, it's a good thing to wake up. If you have a higher setting, maybe ramp the pressure?
If you're having issues getting to sleep, there are apps available with white noise. I had an alarm clock that let me choose a background noise (wind chimes, water, forest, etc) that would play for a set amount of time, then turn itself off. It was helpful, in my case.
Recently I've realized that I've turned into more of a light sleeper. And since I always slept like a rock, this bugged me. With therapy, once I get to sleep, I tend to sleep more like I used to. Hopefully you find your trick to finding a good nights sleep.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

jillianwi

Post by jillianwi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:23 pm

Thank you, SleepingZ! I am nearly due for a new mask from my DME (I think) and I will ask to try that one.

And, thanks Sleepy, I'll try calculating in my head and see if that helps me ignore the noise. =) That makes sense, and a better idea than concentrating on my breathing!

Tattooed Lady, I love to sew and was planning on making a cozy just to make it look pretty, this is another good reason! Thanks for the suggestion! And I didn't know about the apps, definitely better than buying one of those "white noise" machines... The machine itself doesn't seem too loud-- I actually have mine on the floor so I can run the hose up behind the headboard-- otherwise I am constantly worried I'll knock something over with the hose.

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:30 pm

So far, the quietest nasal pillow mask I have come across is the Airfit P10 made by ResMed. Hopefully the Nuance works for you, if not you may consider trying that one. I have actually had people tell me it was so comfortable and quiet, they forgot they had it on. Rather than directed airflow out the vent, it is diffused through a mesh material.

Also, another item that helps nasal pillows seal is using lanolin. You'll find that at any drug store or pharmacy where the maternity products are sold.

Regarding the pressure setting of your autoset, of course I don't know where it is now but would suggest a start pressure of 5 cm H2O to on the low end and +2 above whatever it took to keep your airway open in the lab.

Good luck, hope that helps.
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

dumborat

Post by dumborat » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm just starting CPAP too! I am surprised at how well I am adjusting, because I am autistic and very easily overwhelmed and upset by sensory input. So here are the things that might be helping me:

I have slept with a fan on for years to block out household noise and calm me down, so I haven't noticed the noise of the machine much, apart from my breathing sounds at first. A long time ago, I didn't sleep with a fan, but now it sounds way too quiet without one. It might be easier to adjust to that than to adjust to the noise of the CPAP machine. You could put it on even if you are taking a break from CPAP so it becomes something your brain associates with sleep.

Have you tried headphones instead of earplugs? If I am listening to something, it not only helps block out the noises from the machine, but it helps take my mind off the whole CPAP thing entirely, which could help you with anxiety. Especially if it's something like a podcast or an audiobook. I'm sure that would keep some people awake, but for me I just start drifting off. I also like to read on my iPad. And when I'm too tired for listening or reading, I do the prime numbers thing too. Lying there doing nothing is the surest way for me to stay awake being anxious or something (I am anxious in general). But again, these are things I've done before CPAP. My body associates "headphones or iPad in bed" with "time to relax and sleep" and it might be different for you.

The noise generator site I use is http://mynoise.net and they have an iOS app too. Most of them are free on the website. On the app most of them cost 99 cents, but I think they're better than the average noises because you can customize them the way you want. They have the typical white noise, but also things like rain, a fireplace, meditation drone sounds, and even a cat purring.
Last edited by dumborat on Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask: Philips Nuance nasal pillows
Headgear: Modified Philips Wisp fabric attached to Nuance Pro frame
Accessories: Weighted blanket, fan, eye mask 8)

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Someone on the forum suggested an app called White Noise Pro by tmsoft last year. I put it on my iPad and it helps me sleep when I'm out of town. Every sound you can imagine is available and you can also control the volume. $2.99 and worth a try.

JLtheDrone

Post by JLtheDrone » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi. I am pretty new to the forum too but welcome. I have a free app on my android called Relax and Sleep. The have 20 or so different sounds to choose from and you can adjust the volume of each separately. You can also combine sounds, which is pretty cool.

Personally I like to play campfire and brook sounds. Then I can visualize sleeping in a peaceful setting
For once I feel as good as I look. -- Kent Brockman

jillianwi

Post by jillianwi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:44 pm

THANK YOU everyone for your suggestions, found an app and here goes nothing!

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:58 pm

Once you've done all you can do to desensitize, it's quite likely time will take care of a lot of it. Your brain does not associate these new sounds as normal yet. Over time it will, unless you are truly one of the hypersensitive types, at which point those more experienced than I would have to chime in. Most things we adjust to when we have no choice. Give us a choice and it's easier to choose not to adjust. My first thought is of when I've had dental work done, such as a crown or fillings. The first few days I'd keep running my tongue over the newly done area. Felt so odd. Let a few weeks go by and I wouldn't even notice it any longer. It became my new normal. If you persevere, I'm guessing your awareness of the sounds will gradually dim, as long as you don't allow yourself sleep time without the mask. Seems that off-an-on use would prolong the adjustment. Good luck. Hope you're sound asleep by now and won't see this till morning.

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:06 am

jillianwi wrote:Hi! I am hoping someone here can give me some suggestions... I am getting ready to try the CPAP for the second time after taking a month off. My first try lasted about 3 weeks-- first 2 nights fine, although i didn't feel any different during the day. Then, I got a cold. With the cold, I couldn't sleep, and somehow that got tangled up with my ideas about CPAP and I ended up with anxiety that kept me from sleeping.

Sleep MD recommended a break and to try a mouthpiece (ow!) and a body pillow to keep me on my side (no problem there); also to see my psychiatrist to help with the anxiety. Obviously he explained that these measures are not as good as CPAP for treating my apnea. My psychiatrist recommended taking either Ambien or alprazolam when I first go back on CPAP, to try to break the cycle. Also to try "mindfulness"-- need to go back to the library, the first book recommended focusing on breathing which as I'll explain is my problem.

I find that when I am trying to get to sleep with the CPAP I am really bothered by the sound of my breathing, and get so fixated on it that I can't relax. I tried earplugs which (obviously to me now) make it worse! It didn't occur to me that changing the mask might affect that noise until I saw mentions of it in other threads, but I wasn't sure what "noise" the posters were referring to. I should mention the mask is comfortable and is not causing me any other problems (just had a little bit of nasal soreness the first night).

So, I am hoping for suggestions on quelling the anxiety, and also to ask if anyone thinks a different mask might help quiet the sound of my breathing.

Thanks so much in advance!

I currently have a Philips Respironic System One RemStar Auto with AutoFlex. Mask is nasal pillows, Philips Respironics Nuance.
When I started using my P.R. DS400S with C-Flex after my October 2007 sleep study it took me some time to get use to the noise I heard while using that machine so to cancel out the noise I set up a small Honeywell 10" fan in my room just to generate white noise and the fan did the trick plus the fan helps silence the ringing in my ears which I also experience during the night before I finally go to sleep.

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
06/16/14