Disposing of worn out supplies?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
library lady

Disposing of worn out supplies?

Post by library lady » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:36 pm

What is the best way to dispose of worn out tubing, cushions, etc.? I hate to put them in the trash where they will just end up in the landfill. Is any cpap related stuff recyclable? I have a hose to discard and would like to dispose of it responsibly if that's possible..

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Wulfman...

Re: Disposing of worn out supplies?

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:01 pm

I've been using the same hose for nine years. Hasn't worn out yet. And, I'm not sure how one WOULD wear one out.
I did wear out one set of headgear for my UMFF mask at four years (2009) and swapped it out with another from my backup mask and finally broke out a new one at the beginning of 2012 (and put the backup headgear back on the backup mask). Still using them both and they're not close to wearing out. The old one is in my box of supplies (doesn't take up much space).
I used my original full face mask cushion for six years and in 2011 I decided to try one of the spare cushions I'd stocked up on and put the original back in its package for possible future use. It still had good leak numbers when I quit using it, so it is probably still very usable.
I'm also still using my original UMFF mask that I started with in May of 2005.

"Disposing" of this stuff has never crossed my mind. I just keep using it.

Den

library lady

Post by library lady » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Some things I do keep for backup, but my hose is really stretched out, and the coupler somehow keeps popping off the elbow during the night and what with sudden whooshes of air and/or sudden loss of therapy air, I keep waking up to reattach it. After a week of that and not finding a way to prevent it, I think there's no point in keeping it. I picked up an extra hose a month ago as a backup since I was due for one on the schedule.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Sheriff Buford once commented that he cut up a dead hose, and it is now a cord minder.
It seems that cutting off the ends and putting a slit down the side would turn it into a nice flexible conduit.

library lady

Post by library lady » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks, Chunkyfrog, that's a great idea!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:36 pm

Not my idea, but I do agree.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:24 am

library lady wrote:Some things I do keep for backup, but my hose is really stretched out, and the coupler somehow keeps popping off the elbow during the night and what with sudden whooshes of air and/or sudden loss of therapy air,
that happened to one of my hoses a couple of years ago, I stuck it on the coupler, and then wrapped some heavy thread tightly around the end, all it took was one neat layer, about a quarter inch wide, and it never popped off again.

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:27 am

library lady wrote:What is the best way to dispose of worn out tubing, cushions, etc.? I hate to put them in the trash where they will just end up in the landfill. Is any cpap related stuff recyclable? I have a hose to discard and would like to dispose of it responsibly if that's possible..
This is a perpetual, unfortunate issue -- likely no, not really recyclable because of mixed plastics and silicone -- at least per old recycling requirements of things being marked #1-5, etc. Although if you threw it into a recycling bin, I guess it would be the recycler's concern and, perhaps, with the miracles of 2014 technology, my traditional thinking is incorrect and now they can recycle it. You could always call the local recycling company to find out, or the CPAP manufacturer to ask what the plastics are.

I would absolutely not hesitate to replace things per the stated instructions. These things, even if washed, develop a bio-film on the surface and that's pretty disgusting. Especially inside tubing. Would you wear the same pair of contact lenses for 5 years? Toothbrush?

Ultimately, you could box up accumulated items and ship them back directly to ResMed or Respironics with a note asking them to recycle the items themselves. And state that as a consumer, that issue is important to you. Perhaps if enough people do so, the manufacturers may actually start listening and making these products simple to recycle.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:07 pm

The silicon & plastics in our masks is indeed recyclable. but not as defined by the typical numbering guidance system... but not all communities are set-up for it yet... its best to check with your local agencies.

I have given up trying to match the reported longevity of other members supplies. Mine get replaced when I feel they need to be... quattro cushions last me about 3 months & the headgear lasts about 10 months. I get about 12- 14 months out of my padacheek liners. I'm closing in on 2 years of use on my hose now.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

library lady

Post by library lady » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:54 pm

That's probably the best way to go, Dave. Replace as you see the need, which is what I'm planning to do - I just haven't been doing this long enough to really need to think about it.

BrandonB

Post by BrandonB » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:01 pm

Dave's schedule sounds like mine. I'm on original hose, original headgear (needs to replace - Velcro not holding much anymore), 9 month old cushion (old one was in good shape but weight loss required me to go down in size to maintain seal), and about 14-18 months on my Padacheek liners. My ClimateLine wants to come off easily from the connector on my mask, so I plan to use a thin layer of plumbers Teflon tape to provide a thicker grip onto the mask. Haven't done it yet since I'm going in this Friday to try out the N10 and Wisp as a potential replacement to my EasyLife. I am looking forward to seeing again with my glasses as I wind down!
Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!