ASV and Encore Reporting - Experiments

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JDS74

ASV and Encore Reporting - Experiments

Post by JDS74 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:36 pm

As I previously have commented, Encore (Pro in my case) seems to round off the Breaths per Minute number to an integer, Tidal Volume to the nearest 10 mL. I speculated that this was either a "feature" in the program or a "bug" in the program.
Examining all of my ASV reports, I discovered that sometimes the Breaths per Minute number got reported as 13.5 or 14.4 while the Tidal Volume got reported not at 760 or 730 mL but as 779.2 or 725.1 mL.
I examined all of the days where this difference occurred and found that all of them occurred when I had a split night, I woke up in the night, had difficulty going back to sleep and got up with the machine off in between. This results in two sets of records being recorded for that night and I speculated that the display computations were different if there were two or segments.

So, for the last few days, I have been experimenting with forcing split nights by the simple expedient of breathing for about one minute, turning the machine off, and then on again. In every single case, the numbers reported showed up as having one decimal place for the Tidal Volume and sometimes for the Breathing Rate as well.

I also have an undiagnosed condition ( thought to be endocrine in nature ) that wakes me up several times each night. My ability to remember exactly how many times each night is poor to say the least so I decided on an additional experiment.

Each time I woke up for this reason, I would turn the machine off and then back on so I could count the instances in the morning. The off then on cycle takes about 15 seconds. To my surprise, the night before last I was on the machine 8 1/2 hours and had 8 instances. Last night, 6 1/2 hours with 6 instances. So it looks as if my sleep pattern is about 2 1/2 hours after going to sleep and then waking every 45 minutes or so for the rest of the night.

No wonder I don't feel 100% in the morning although I do feel much better on the ASV as compared to before CPAP and the period using Auto BiPap.

At least its progress.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

shortcake

Re: ASV and Encore Reporting - Experiments

Post by shortcake » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:32 am

Good catch about the 'split night' data showing the more precise values!

Are you currently being tested for various endocrine issues? I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. TSH was normal-to-subclinical, but I tested positive for mildly elevated anti-Tg antibodies and there's a family history, so I was put on low dose Synthroid. Even with a normalized TSH and free T4, I still tend to wake up several times per night, usually in the same type of pattern as you mentioned here (a few hours straight, then every hour after that). I'd be interested to hear if you get a confirmed diagnosis and how treatment affects your sleep.

In the meantime, I would try the experiment you mentioned to count how many times I wake up each night, but I loathe the loud BEEP every time the machine goes on and off. I don't think the hubby would appreciate hearing that beep 8 times per night either

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:22 am

You can turn the beep off I think.
I had my complete thyroid removed several years ago and have been on Synthroid ever since.
No one has mentioned Hashimoto's to me. Interesting sleep pattern - I'll have to look into it and then start asking some questions.

Do you get some nights with very few awakenings?
Mine vary all over the place.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

shortcake

Post by shortcake » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Neither I nor my DME has found a way to stop the beep. I think they even contacted Respironics about it. We could turn off all the alarms, but not the beep that occurs while turning the machine on or off. If anyone knows how to disable it (without opening up the unit), I'm all ears

You posted a few weeks ago that your RR appears to be declining slightly (more frequently dipping to 10 BPM and less PTB %), correct? I've read about a link between hypothyroidism and slow RR, so perhaps your current Synthroid dosage isn't as effective as it used to be? Might be something to ask your doctor if you haven't had a check up recently.

Yes, some nights I have very few awakenings (maybe 2 or 3). Other times it's more like 8. Haven't really found anything in particular that triggers more wakeups either. I keep track of any meds, supplements, eating before bed, etc and it all appears completely random. Unfortunately I feel about the same in the morning whether I woke up twice or eight times. Which makes me think my residual tiredness isn't due to the sleep apnea. I'm currently focusing on potential problems with my iron levels (Ferritin is 26, technically normal but low enough to cause issues). But I also can't rule out something endocrine in nature, especially since I already have one autoimmune endocrine disorder. Keep us posted on how you're feeling and hope you find some answers soon!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:41 pm

shortcake wrote:Neither I nor my DME has found a way to stop the beep. I think they even contacted Respironics about it. We could turn off all the alarms, but not the beep that occurs while turning the machine on or off. If anyone knows how to disable it (without opening up the unit), I'm all ears
it doesn't look to be that difficult to open up, remove the knob, two T15 torx screws, and the top cover comes off, there's one circuit board, and the squeaker is likely on the bottom. the service manual I came across a while back doesn't show the bottom of the circuit board, just the top, and how to remove it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.