Cleaning Silicone Cushions (Poll)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What do you use to clean your silicone mask cushions?

Water Only
6%
Diluted Vinegar
4%
Soap and Water
18%
Dish Soap & Water
26%
Baby Shampoo & Water
13%
Isopropyl Alcohol
3%
Baby Wipes
7%
CPAP Mask Wipes
12%
Something Else
9%
What's cleaning?
2%

Total votes: 116

The Latinist

Cleaning Silicone Cushions (Poll)

Post by The Latinist » Sun May 11, 2014 6:18 pm

I've been wondering what other people use to clean their silicone CPAP mask cushions. I'm not talking about other components (frame, tubing, etc.) or other materials (if you don't use silicone cushions, feel free to post about your cleaning methods but please don't participate in the poll). I've read lots of suggestions, including many conflicting warnings and also got advice from my DME; but I'm curious which of the many options people prefer.

Personally, in my two weeks on CPAP water only, mild detergent, baby shampoo, baby wipes, and am now using isopropyl alcohol which seems to be by far the most effective for preventing leaks from my Quattro™ Air mask (based, admittedly, on one night's and one nap's usage).

If people think I've left off something important or you need the ability to choose more than three options, please let me know.

9forus

Re: Cleaning Silicone Cushions

Post by 9forus » Sun May 11, 2014 6:23 pm

I use the antibacterial liquid hand soap I keep by my sinks. I just squirt some in my fingers and wash it with my hand and air dry. I wash it first thing in the morning and its dry by noon.

chunkyfrog

Re: Cleaning Silicone Cushions (Poll)

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 11, 2014 6:24 pm

--boiling
--premium whiskey

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Sun May 11, 2014 6:26 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:--premium whiskey
Ha! I have some 18 year old Macallan; maybe I should try that.

ETA: It looks like I can't add another option without deleting one. Is there something people think I should remove/combine to fit boiling on there?

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun May 11, 2014 6:40 pm

You left out two big ones in your poll. 1) Control III solution available from our hosts Cpap.com (use as directed), followed by a good two hour soak in clean rinse water. 2) There is also gently simmering the cushion a sodium bicarbonate mix and water for 5-7 minutes then rinsing with fresh water. This can extend the life of the cushions 2-3 times their normal life, or at least that's my experience. Of course, this isn't an everyday cleaning procedure.

Here you go on boiling: viewtopic/t74686/Boiling-Stuff-Part-2.html

Here's the Control III link: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Contro ... eaner.html

Just a side note: On this forum, alcohol is widely believed to have a deleterious effect on silicone cushions, however I can't put my finger on those posts at this moment.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

alpha752

Post by alpha752 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Citrus II wipes (sold by cpap.com) daily. Works great to remove the previous nights face grease.

About monthly a good boil in baking soda water to get it like new. P

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sun May 11, 2014 9:44 pm

I voted "other" because I do the following:

Weekly I lather up my cushions with Dr. Bronner's liquid soap and then rinse very well.

Monthly or so I boil them in distilled water and baking soda, as described above.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Mon May 12, 2014 6:15 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:Just a side note: On this forum, alcohol is widely believed to have a deleterious effect on silicone cushions, however I can't put my finger on those posts at this moment.
Interesting. My research shows that silicone and isopropyl alcohol are very compatible.

glarnold

Post by glarnold » Mon May 12, 2014 8:39 am

I use very small amount of Woolite in sink full of warm water, hand rub, and rinse with warm tap water. Every two or three weeks, as needed. Wash mask only, not headgear. Then I replace the silicon portion only, every two or three years. I did have to replace a headgear after five years. Been working fine this way for about eight years.

G L Arnold
Quattro FX full face mask.

SmoothieMom

Post by SmoothieMom » Mon May 12, 2014 12:08 pm

I've only been on therapy less than a month, but my daily cleaning is wiping the mask/cushions with a Citrus II wipe, then it all goes into the SoClean 2. And once a week everything gets cleaned with Seventh Generation clear and free dish soap, air dried, and back into the SoClean.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon May 12, 2014 1:34 pm

There isn't much that will hurt silicone. I use unscented non-alcohol baby wipes nightly. Soak in water with mild soap weekly. Boil with a little salt every 5 or 6 months to remove film and keep flexibility.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue May 13, 2014 1:00 am

I'm very sensitive to fragrances, so I use a scent-free dish soap--Seventh Generation dish soap I got on sale at target. I use just a drop, the bottle is 3 years old and still half full. It works fine.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

PST

Post by PST » Tue May 13, 2014 7:32 am

The Latinist wrote:My research shows that silicone and isopropyl alcohol are very compatible.
True. It is the combination of silicone and ethyl alcohol that can become volatile.

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Tue May 13, 2014 11:21 am

PST wrote:
The Latinist wrote:My research shows that silicone and isopropyl alcohol are very compatible.
True. It is the combination of silicone and ethyl alcohol that can become volatile.
Really? I had read abstracts for several papers (e.g., here) which suggested that even prolonged exposure of silicone medical devices to ethanol solutions caused only minor changes in the elasticity of the silicone.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue May 13, 2014 11:46 am

SmoothieMom wrote:I've only been on therapy less than a month, but my daily cleaning is wiping the mask/cushions with a Citrus II wipe, then it all goes into the SoClean 2. And once a week everything gets cleaned with Seventh Generation clear and free dish soap, air dried, and back into the SoClean.
Since I noticed you are using a PR System One machine and also a SoClean machine to insure germ-free equipment, I'll bet you don't know about the two silicone port gaskets inside the humidifier housing that need to be cleaned from time to time. To find them look under the hatch lid and then at the back of the space where the tank sits - you've obviously taken out the tank at this point. Almost nobody cleans those two small gaskets and they are also in the direct airflow path. Both gaskets pop off and are easy to clean and replace... I don't clean them every day, however once a month when my hose gets a Control III bath, I pop those in the solution for a half an hour.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.