Quick question about SleepyHead

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bookbear

Quick question about SleepyHead

Post by Bookbear » Fri May 09, 2014 12:18 pm

I am currently using v. 0.9.1 of SleepyHead. I cannot get any changes in the mask vent rate to stick in my profile. It always reverts to 25 L/s. Since I use the Breeze mask, which has a leak rate of 25 at my pressure, this is OK. But I am trying a new mask (AirFit P10) which has a vent rate of 37 at my pressure, so the reported 95% leak rates are all off. Do the newer versions of the program (v.0.9.5 I think) solve this problem? Otherwise, I am very satisfied with the program as it stands. True, I can do some mental math for each day's data, but it would be nice not to have to do this first think in the morning, before I've had my coffee!

Regards,
Mark

turbosnore

Re: Quick question about SleepyHead

Post by turbosnore » Fri May 09, 2014 4:30 pm

What does the SW do then?
I understand that the limits are CPAP-specific - the leaks they are able to compensate.
The SW can't change that, but if the SW doesn't show something then, that's a different matter.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri May 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Bookbear wrote:I am currently using v. 0.9.1 of SleepyHead. I cannot get any changes in the mask vent rate to stick in my profile. It always reverts to 25 L/s.
Not quite sure what you mean by the changes won't stick.

However, I will offer this: In SH versions 0.9.1 through at least 0.9.4, if you go to the CPAP tab of the preferences window, you should see information about the mask, the leak rate for the mask profile type and a pull down menu for "Leak Calcs" that currently has two choices: Mask Profile and Statistical Model. But the fine print under at the bottom of this part of the CPAP preferences tab specifically says, "Note: Leak profiles currently does not yet .."

And it's my understanding that for PR machines, SH defaults to using the experimental Statistical Model for approximating the expected leak for the graph from the total leak data that is recorded.

And if you have doubts about whether that Statistical Model is deciding on a reasonable estimated leak rate, then you can always look at the total leak graph instead of the "estimated excess leak graph." Just compare the total leak graph to the numerical value for your mask at your pressure.
Since I use the Breeze mask, which has a leak rate of 25 at my pressure, this is OK. But I am trying a new mask (AirFit P10) which has a vent rate of 37 at my pressure, so the reported 95% leak rates are all off. Do the newer versions of the program (v.0.9.5 I think) solve this problem?
I can't speak to what happens with v.0.9.5 since that is still unstable, at least on the Mac, and I have not installed it yet. But as near as I can tell versions 0.9.2, 0.9.3, 0.9.4 all still say that the mask profile stuff for calculating the unintentional leaks are not yet working.
Otherwise, I am very satisfied with the program as it stands. True, I can do some mental math for each day's data, but it would be nice not to have to do this first think in the morning, before I've had my coffee!
Why not just allow SH to use the Statistical Model to calculate the estimated leak rate?

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Fri May 09, 2014 7:49 pm

robysue wrote:
Bookbear wrote:I am currently using v. 0.9.1 of SleepyHead. I cannot get any changes in the mask vent rate to stick in my profile. It always reverts to 25 L/s.

However, I will offer this: In SH versions 0.9.1 through at least 0.9.4, if you go to the CPAP tab of the preferences window, you should see information about the mask, the leak rate for the mask profile type and a pull down menu for "Leak Calcs" that currently has two choices: Mask Profile and Statistical Model. But the fine print under at the bottom of this part of the CPAP preferences tab specifically says, "Note: Leak profiles currently does not yet .."

And it's my understanding that for PR machines, SH defaults to using the experimental Statistical Model for approximating the expected leak for the graph from the total leak data that is recorded.

And if you have doubts about whether that Statistical Model is deciding on a reasonable estimated leak rate, then you can always look at the total leak graph instead of the "estimated excess leak graph." Just compare the total leak graph to the numerical value for your mask at your pressure.
Since I use the Breeze mask, which has a leak rate of 25 at my pressure, this is OK. But I am trying a new mask (AirFit P10) which has a vent rate of 37 at my pressure, so the reported 95% leak rates are all off. Do the newer versions of the program (v.0.9.5 I think) solve this problem?
I can't speak to what happens with v.0.9.5 since that is still unstable, at least on the Mac, and I have not installed it yet. But as near as I can tell versions 0.9.2, 0.9.3, 0.9.4 all still say that the mask profile stuff for calculating the unintentional leaks are not yet working.
Otherwise, I am very satisfied with the program as it stands. True, I can do some mental math for each day's data, but it would be nice not to have to do this first think in the morning, before I've had my coffee!
Why not just allow SH to use the Statistical Model to calculate the estimated leak rate?
Interesting blog you created about CPAP "robysue"; is there anyway to remove the flowered background so I can read everything else on your blog's page? The flowers are pretty but it does make it hard to read your blog. Several others posted similar comments on your blog; they too said they couldn't read the other information on your blog because of the flowers.

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
05/09/14

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Wed May 14, 2014 8:31 pm

turbosnore wrote:What does the SW do then?
I understand that the limits are CPAP-specific - the leaks they are able to compensate.
The SW can't change that, but if the SW doesn't show something then, that's a different matter.
I am not at all sure what to make of your response. Were you perhaps intending to respond to someone else's message on another topic? SW??

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Wed May 14, 2014 8:40 pm

robysue wrote:
I meant that when I altered my user profile and saved it, when I returned to the program, the old values were there, not the new ones I had entered.
I just downloaded the newest version of the program (I was on 0.9.1). This seems to have solved most of the problems. And yes, I do see the "Leak profiles currently does not work yet' is still there. What I don't understand is the difference between Mask Profile and Statistical Model for computing leaks.
And this is what I am doing... subtracting.
But is it using the 25L/s rate that is the default that is built in to SH, or something else. Just curious as to how it is calculating the final leak numbers.

Thanks for your help!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Bookbear wrote:But is it using the 25L/s rate that is the default that is built in to SH, or something else.
Do you have some version of Encore? Use it to compare SleepyHead's reported total leak numbers with what Encore says.
I just did.
Encore Basic default reporting only reports an average total leak...don't know what kind of average but I assume overall average.
Median average reported by Sleepyhead is withing 1 L/min of what Encore reports as average.
Same night...I compared side by side.
Encore reports average of 33 L/min
SleepyHead median average is 32 L/min....overall average (that's something that can be changed in preferences) is 32.09 L/min.
I can change Encore Basic to report unintentional leak only...that same night the average is 3.5 L/min per Encore
Essentially no leaks to speak of for that night.

I was using the Tap Pap nasal pillow mask that night. Bilevel pressures but very stable so not much variation.
The intended vent/intentional leak rate for the Tap Pap at 10 cm pressure is 30 L/min and there is always a little room for minor variations (usually around 5 L/min). It's hard to get an exact expected vent rate when using bilevel pressures but my 33 reported by Encore and the leak line being nearly flat sure points to that being real close with my pressures of 10/14.

I think you can rest assured that SleepyHead's calculations are real close but if it bugs you too much...use Encore for verification and reassurance. SleepyHead isn't using that generic 25 L/min since that feature in SH isn't functioning...instead it is using whatever the PR S1 uses since that is where it is pulling the data from.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Sat May 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Pugsy wrote:Do you have some version of Encore? Use it to compare SleepyHead's reported total leak numbers with what Encore says.
I just did.
I don't have Encore, just Sleepyhead.
I think you can rest assured that SleepyHead's calculations are real close but if it bugs you too much...use Encore for verification and reassurance. SleepyHead isn't using that generic 25 L/min since that feature in SH isn't functioning...instead it is using whatever the PR S1 uses since that is where it is pulling the data from.
I thank your for your time in responding. I am not overly concerned, since my leak numbers were consistently low when I was using the Breeze (they shot up with other masks I tried over the years). They seem to be as low, or very nearly as low, with the AirFit P10, and the P10 doesn't leave dents at the back of my skull or a flat spot on the top of my head!