Maybe we need a "purge"

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
herefishy

Maybe we need a "purge"

Post by herefishy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:21 am

Do we really need all those old posts - maybe the moderators could remove the ones over 2 or 3 years old? That might speed up our access time.

49er

Re: Maybe we need a "purge"

Post by 49er » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 am

herefishy wrote:Do we really need all those old posts - maybe the moderators could remove the ones over 2 or 3 years old? That might speed up our access time.
Actually, I have found many of them quite useful. But I understand where you are coming from.

49er

ems

Post by ems » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:34 am

That's not going to happen. Many people think that old posts, as in 5-6 years back, are relevant. I don't. I prefer reading new research and what people are dealing with today. If I really want to know what mask was used years ago, I can always google. And those polls... the majority are so silly.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Just keep "triple dog dare"!

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:41 pm

I'm not sure how old the forum posts are, but maybe take the oldest 2-3 years & purge those. I also agree with purging the 'polls' - these keep coming back to 'haunt???' us. I've gotten so much info from searching the forum, I would hate to see all the old info gone, but as things change & get newer, I think setting a reasonable time for a purge would be good.

If not going back X number of years, maybe go back to a time when most of the posts are about masks that are now discontinued? We really don't need posts about discontinued masks, except for those folks looking for newer solutions. Those folks can still post they are looking for a solution when their beloved mask has been discontinued & we will help with current info.

Has someone contacted the forum administrator about this? I would think someone needs to, since she can't possible read every post. I still think its great of our hosts, cpap.com to provide this forum space for us. I get so much great info here for both myself and now my hubby, I will always be grateful for this & I refer friends to their site every chance I get. I know this forum takes up space that they are paying for, and I would think it would be better for them if a purge of some type is done.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:09 pm

herefishy wrote:Do we really need all those old posts - maybe the moderators could remove the ones over 2 or 3 years old? That might speed up our access time.
I'm going to be "kind" and suggest you didn't give this subject much thought before you posted that suggestion.
SOMEBODY (many somebodies) made those posts. Think about the number of posts you would remove from forum members' post counts.
That would, in effect, wipe out all of the collective links that "rested gal" has put together.

The other thing is that there is virtually NOTHING that is "NEW" on this forum. EVERY subject has been discussed THOUSANDS of times before. All you have to do is search and look.

Den

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:34 pm

I doubt it is the database because sometimes the access is fast and sometimes it is like molasses. It smells more like a server issue or denial of access attack.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:03 pm

Wulfman, thanks so much for your kindness, i apologize for my thoughtlessness.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Every now and then I find a real gem in the old posts, not too often but occasionally. I say keep them around... if the OP doesn't like them then the OP can just not read them. Pretty simple, really. EDIT: on the other hand, I'm sure glad the 'poll troll' has taken a hiatus

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:45 pm

I'm pretty "nostalgic" about the old posts. Many of these "old timers" were the experts here and the glue that kept this forum alive and well. I miss them. I still review some of them occasionally to remind me of what they taught me and a lot of what I've forgotten but should remember.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

OboeVet

Post by OboeVet » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:50 pm

I am new, too; what's old to you is new to me. What's new to me helps. You see? But, slow is bad, and makes some people mad. Might miss what I could'a had. Good night.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:43 am

You misunderstood me, I have no issue with the old posts other than trying to speed up access.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
I'm going to be "kind" and suggest you didn't give this subject much thought before you posted that suggestion.
SOMEBODY (many somebodies) made those posts. Think about the number of posts you would remove from forum members' post counts.
That would, in effect, wipe out all of the collective links that "rested gal" has put together.

The other thing is that there is virtually NOTHING that is "NEW" on this forum. EVERY subject has been discussed THOUSANDS of times before. All you have to do is search and look.

Den

My thoughts, and welcome to them.

Gotta agree w Den, here. The older posts contain the "institutional memory" of this fine forum, and much of the formative groundwork that went into much of what we consider "facts" today.

Many, if not most, of the success stories are golden oldies.

Also, a range of topics that used to appear with greater frequency is that of symptoms. The self-reported symptoms reports need to be archived, at least in some form.

Polls? Most are (please forgive) chatter. However some are not replaceable.

And, some of our venerable senior members no longer post, and some as we know, are no longer with us. These are legacy posts, and should stay right where they are.

When in doubt, do not throw it out. (You should see my garage.)

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:51 pm

Perhaps we could lock the older posts so that they can't be brought to the front page again, but would still be searchable and viewable. That would get rid of the problem with the troll who keeps bringing back the old polls and still allow them to be there for people to read.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

HerbM

Post by HerbM » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Keep everything PLEASE.

Everyone is free to ignore the old stuff if they don't want to see it.

If it is deleted it is lost forever.

This forum is NOT slow at all - anyone who sees it as slow is dealing with either browser or network issues of their own.

I have only been here a short time, but when my posts (at least the good ones) on other forums have been lost it has always been a disappointment.

It really does no one any harm and might help so many.

Just keep everything.

--
Sweet Dreams,
HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-14 w/AHI: 0.2 avg for 7-days

"We can all breath together or we will all suffocate alone."