Smoke smell

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ahamilton0927

Smoke smell

Post by ahamilton0927 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:23 am

Hi I have have my CPAP machine for the past 8 years Respid with the water Chamber. I have run it out of weather before about 2 weeks ago I ran It out again and now It has a smoke smell we are a smoke free home any Ideas I have always kept I clean.

Pugsy

Re: Smoke smell

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 am

The plastic tank probably got overheated due to no water being in the tank and the machine kept supplying heat.
Normally the odor fades within a day or so.
Remove the tank and run the machine briefly to see if the odor is still present.
There's a good chance that it is the tank that is stinky and if it is you may want to buy a new tank or if your insurance covers it..let insurance help with buying it. It's something that is normally covered anyway as replacement.

They aren't horribly expensive though. What machine do you use? Is the humidifier separate or built in?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nakedjaxx

Post by nakedjaxx » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Last edited by nakedjaxx on Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:21 pm

As suggested previously, removing the humidifier from the machine to isolate just the machine is a great first step.

The post indicates you have had that machine for 8 years. If that's the case, ResMed had a recall in 2006 due to issues with burnt odor. If the serial number on the bottom of your unit starts with 2006, I would contact your initial provider or any ResMed dealer and see if your machine is under the recall. If so, you'll be receiving a brand new S9 with an H5i and they might even throw in a climate tube for you.

Good luck!
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers