mask versus pillows for snoring

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
YDNAM

mask versus pillows for snoring

Post by YDNAM » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi, I am a newbie and on week 3 of my treatment. I am on my second mask as i was given one which was too large, but i have a small face and appart from the callous i am getting on my nose i now wake up feeling like my face is bruised where i have to adjust the mask too tight to stop leaks. My sleep nurse has told me i can go and try some nasal pillows, but i'm a bit confused - do people still snore with these? How does it stop the snoring (if it does) and will i ever get to the stage where i can fall asleep not feeling like an android (i have used up my supply of sleeping tablets which i had stored from a bout of depression, so wondering what else i can do to help me sleep through the discomfort). I really want to stick at the treatment as it has taken so long for a diagnosis and after just 2 weeks I have noticed a massive difference - I havent fallen asleep at my desk now for 10 days and my activity levels are soaring. Ithink i just need some inspiring words that i will find the mask for me (or at least get used to feeling rubbish when i go to sleep!)

LSAT

Re: mask versus pillows for snoring

Post by LSAT » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Your CPAP along with a properly fitted mask (Either type) should eliminate most snoring.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:01 pm

If you're getting a callus from the mask, it is too tight.
If it leaks too badly when worn comfortably inflated (air supports the mask) you may have the wrong mask.
Nasal pillows are easier to fit, because the contact area is much smaller.
If you are wearing a full face mask because of open mouth sleeping, you could try a hybrid mask, like:
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/hybrid-cpap-mask.php
Otherwise your mouth needs control, like a chin strap, tape, or chin-up strips.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:21 pm

You may be confused by the terminology - the nasal mask follows a rough triangle around your nose and upper lip, while the nasal pillow mask runs roughly across your face with the nasal part lying gently on your upper lip and blowing into your nasal passages. Both kinds put the air into your nose, just the nasal pillows are a little less of a nuisance on your face, but can get the inside of your nose irritated. You will probably search the rest of your life for the "perfect" mask, as I have for 9 years.

YDNAM

Post by YDNAM » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:02 am

Thanks for all of this! I wait with trepidation to see what the sleep nurse pulls out of the hat tomorrow!

Mattbnr

Post by Mattbnr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:50 pm

I love my nasal pillows (swift lt). I had a mirage face mask and couldn't get it to ever fit right.

Swift LT nasal pillows

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:22 am

YDNAM wrote:Hi, I am a newbie and on week 3 of my treatment. I am on my second mask as i was given one which was too large, but i have a small face and appart from the callous i am getting on my nose i now wake up feeling like my face is bruised where i have to adjust the mask too tight to stop leaks. My sleep nurse has told me i can go and try some nasal pillows, but i'm a bit confused - do people still snore with these? How does it stop the snoring (if it does) and will i ever get to the stage where i can fall asleep not feeling like an android (i have used up my supply of sleeping tablets which i had stored from a bout of depression, so wondering what else i can do to help me sleep through the discomfort). I really want to stick at the treatment as it has taken so long for a diagnosis and after just 2 weeks I have noticed a massive difference - I havent fallen asleep at my desk now for 10 days and my activity levels are soaring. Ithink i just need some inspiring words that i will find the mask for me (or at least get used to feeling rubbish when i go to sleep!)
CPAP should be eliminating your snoring, and it can do this through any mask. So nasal pillow masks, nasal masks, full face masks - all are doing the same thing. Basically just blowing air to keep your throat open.

You might be more comfortable with the nasal pillow mask because they are smaller and don't sit on the nose, so it won't be rubbing and causing pressure sores on your nose. It's doing exactly the same thing as the other mask you've been using, the interface is just different.