Reverse CPAP? Yea or Nay?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
locust78

Reverse CPAP? Yea or Nay?

Post by locust78 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:27 am

Someone just pointed me to this website promoting a new approach for dealing with OSA. It looks interesting: Using vacuum instead of positive airway pressure to keep the tongue, etc. from falling inward. It seems to me that you'd need an awful lot of vacuum to allow this system to work. And what about those with acid reflux? Nonetheless, I'm interested in knowing if anyone has experience with this gadget, & what you all think about its concept...
http://apnicure.com

nanwilson

Re: Reverse CPAP? Yea or Nay?

Post by nanwilson » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:30 am

locust78 wrote:Someone just pointed me to this website promoting a new approach for dealing with OSA. It looks interesting: Using vacuum instead of positive airway pressure to keep the tongue, etc. from falling inward. It seems to me that you'd need an awful lot of vacuum to allow this system to work. And what about those with acid reflux? Nonetheless, I'm interested in knowing if anyone has experience with this gadget, & what you all think about its concept...
http://apnicure.com
Try by putting your vac system hose in your mouth and turning it on If you have to sleep with a machine I think I would very much prefer the one I have now.
Someone here has already tried this device out and posted his results. do a search on the word winx in the above search box and see what you get
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

locust78

Post by locust78 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks Nan. I should have checked the postings first. (I sort of thought that this thing was so new that nobody actually tried it yet.)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:50 am

For people not using the search function and wondering about the Winx...there are several threads about it but this one probably has the greatest amount of actual user experience described. It has not been tried by many forum members. This guy and maybe one other.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85470&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=winx

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:56 am

What about someone with a strong gag reflex?

What about someone who sleeps with their mouth open?

SMenasco

Post by SMenasco » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:23 am

If I have to use one, I would like a self-propelled model.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 pm

It would be easier just to pull your tongue out, put it on your lower jaw, staple it in place, no vacume needed.

Nope the Gold Standard is good enough for me.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:29 am

There's is a tongue device that simply sits over your tongue to pull it forward to prevent it from falling back into your throat.

Has it been shown to "work"? Yes.
Will it in your case? No idea.

Something you should speak to your doctor about.

The device is cheap however ( <$50 USD) so you aren't terribly out of pocket if it's not for you.