OSA + CPAP + booze = ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bavinck

OSA + CPAP + booze = ?

Post by bavinck » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:06 pm

I like to imbibe with some regularity, typically 3-4 drinks a week. Newly diagnosed with OSA and heard a nasty rumor than I should generally refrain from alcohol due to it making obstructions more likely. Any truth to this?
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3

RogerSC

Re: OSA + CPAP + booze = ?

Post by RogerSC » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:10 pm

I think that this is somewhat individual. Once you've gotten to where you can look at your sleep data, you can see what the effect of alcohol is on your sleep. If there is an effect, and there often is, you can also see how long before going to bed (to sleep *smile*) you can tolerate a drink. I'm sure that there others with more information, but I find that a drink or two doesn't affect my sleep data much if I'm done enough before going to bed to sleep...like at least a couple of hours for me.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:20 pm

bavinck wrote:I like to imbibe with some regularity, typically 3-4 drinks a week. Newly diagnosed with OSA and heard a nasty rumor than I should generally refrain from alcohol due to it making obstructions more likely. Any truth to this?
If those drinks are equally spaced during the week, chances are your CPAP will handle any (minor) affect of the one drink on the OSA that particular night.

But if those 3-4 drinks are all on one night, right before bedtime? That's a different story altogether.

SuddenlyWornOut45

Post by SuddenlyWornOut45 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:27 pm

This is a troll? Stupid ass question. Everybody who has had a consultation with a sleep medicine doctor and been dxed with OSA has been told to avoid booze, it is an extremely potent drug that relaxes all the muscles involved with breathing and with the airway.

come on, cant you ask something more intelligent than this?

Eric

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:44 pm

SuddenlyWornOut45 wrote:This is a troll? Stupid ass question. Everybody who has had a consultation with a sleep medicine doctor and been dxed with OSA has been told to avoid booze, it is an extremely potent drug that relaxes all the muscles involved with breathing and with the airway.

Eric
What is wrong with you? People need to relax and enjoy themselves sometimes. It is bad enough that they are stuck on a machine at night without expecting them to change their whole life style overnight. And by the way my doctor never mentioned any such thing.

Totally stupid ass reaction to a very common question. and if you use an auto totally irrelevant.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

bavinck

Post by bavinck » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:44 pm

No, my sleep doc did not mention anything about alcohol use to me yet. Dude, don't jump all over me for asking a legitimate and honest question:( I really did not know to avoid alcohol, and I figured this was a good place to ask. Sorry if I offended.

Thanks for all the responses folks. I will investigate this once I get my cpap hooked up with software I can analyze my alcohol use, like rogersc suggested. For now I will just avoid drinking.
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3

ems

Post by ems » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
SuddenlyWornOut45 wrote:This is a troll? Stupid ass question. Everybody who has had a consultation with a sleep medicine doctor and been dxed with OSA has been told to avoid booze, it is an extremely potent drug that relaxes all the muscles involved with breathing and with the airway.

Eric
What is wrong with you? People need to relax and enjoy themselves sometimes. It is bad enough that they are stuck on a machine at night without expecting them to change their whole life style overnight. And by the way my doctor never mentioned any such thing.

Totally stupid ass reaction to a very common question. and if you use an auto totally irrelevant.
My doctor never mentioned any such thing either. Bavinck, that wasn't a stupid question at all! This is a great place to ask questions and get answers... most of the time anyway.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Maybe just a couple teaspoons of Tattoo in my eggnog.
Merry, merry, merry!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Future question, smoking is bad for you, especially if you are on O2 sst nite. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SuddenlyWornOut45

Post by SuddenlyWornOut45 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Its the most stupid question Ive ever seen on a sleep apnea forum. Its so basic, I do not believe a sleep medicine physician would not warn a patient about avoiding booze and other sedating medications and drugs. Sorry, I dont believe it. TROLL.

Eric

ems

Post by ems » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:13 pm

SuddenlyWornOut45 wrote:Its the most stupid question Ive ever seen on a sleep apnea forum. Its so basic, I do not believe a sleep medicine physician would not warn a patient about avoiding booze and other sedating medications and drugs. Sorry, I dont believe it. TROLL.

Eric

ems... Take your fingers off your key board. Take your fingers off your key board and step back now, NOW I said!

There, there... that's a very good girl.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Disregard Eric. Looks like he is starting to unravel again...seems to be happening sooner than I anticipated.

Common sense and moderation with any drug that might impact the airway tissue patency.
Alcohol may or may not impact your airway tissues all that much. Don't get wasted though...not good for any number of reasons.
Also remember that while we initially seem to think that alcohol helps us get to sleep real quickly (I remember from my party hearty days) it really messes with the normal sleep architecture so we don't get the right stages of sleep in needed amounts.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:46 pm

I think having a glass of booze every now and again while on CPAP isn't a huge problem.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:29 am

Yes, I doubt that 3 or 4 drinks a week is going to be a problem, just not too close to bedtime...3 or 4 drinks a night is a whole other thing.

By the way, my sleep doctor never mentioned alcohol, and my medical records include that I indulge in the odd drink (and I mean odd *smile*)...I think once you're actually using cpap it's a common sense and experimental thing. Or come around the forum here and get some good advice (mostly).

bavinck

Post by bavinck » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:09 am

Now that I am thinking about it, nights I have had a couple before bed resulted in a worse sleep pre-diagnosis.
Auto 9-15cm
SleepyHead v0.9.3