New Z1 travel machine by Human design medical

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
carriesue66

New Z1 travel machine by Human design medical

Post by carriesue66 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Has anyone tried this new machine yet? I'm a new cpap user (3 months) and am looking for a travel machine. I'm a bit concerned about not having a humidity option. Also, would like advise on traveling and not being able to find distilled water (I'm heading to Asia and Indonesia). Thanks!

Julie

Re: New Z1 travel machine by Human design medical

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:30 pm

Don't worry too much about distilled water - they may have it anyway, but if not just find the purest stuff you can in stores, or else if you're not going to be there for many months, just be prepared for a cleaning job when you get home. The distillation is more about crud not building up in the tank than it is about affecting you... don't forget whatever water you (or natives) drink should be ok to use in the machine, at least short term.

levman

Post by levman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:10 pm

There is a good review towards the bottom of page two of this thread:
viewtopic/p869019/New-Z1-cpap-machine-S ... y-too.html

gotwickdotcom

Post by gotwickdotcom » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:42 am

There actually is humidification with the Z1, HME units, it comes with 2 of them. They take the moisture from your breath when you exhale, then return it when you inhale.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Note: It is NEVER considered safe to burn a candle while sleeping-
-just in case the last poster is using their username TO INSERT A LINK.

waudio1

Post by waudio1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:34 am

I bought one. It is very small and the battery option is great. With that said it is super noisy. I was told by Cpap.com that is is noisy because it is a straight pressure machine (and the noise you hear is coming from the mask) which happens with all straight pressure machines. Evidently Auto machines are much quieter. Since I have never had anything other than an Auto machine I didn't know there would be that much of a difference. So if you are used to a straight pressure machine you probably won't notice the noise. If you use an Auto machine I can gaurantee you are going are going to notice it. In fact, I couldn't even get to sleep it was so noisy. And my husband said it sounded like a jet engine next to him (and he never complains about my home machine). I just want people to know what to expect because it is alot of money to spend for something you might not use (if the noise bothers you). If it was quiet I would love it - but sadly I don't like it at all...

Also, the HME (humidifiers) work fine BUT they are $5.00 a piece and they are for one time use. That can really add up on a long trip (not to mention the space to bring lots of them with you).

oldtbone

Post by oldtbone » Thu May 01, 2014 10:27 am

I agree with waudio1 that the Z1 is very noisy. More disappointing, however, is my experience with the power shell battery. The web site at cpapsupplyusa.com says that the battery provides "up to 8 hours of power cord free use" at 14 cm pressure. My battery on my unit runs out between 5 1/2 and 6 hours at this setting, which, technically speaking, is less than 8 hours, but I interpret the web site to mean approximately 8 hours. The ambient temperatures were typical of warm SoCal spring nights. So one cannot get a normal night's sleep with it.

The response of cpapsupplyusa to my complaints were also disappointing (snotty, not at all helpful).

My recommendations: (1) don't buy this if you expect a full night's sleep on the power shell and (2) avoid cpapsupplyusa.

ocarrillo

Post by ocarrillo » Thu May 01, 2014 4:35 pm

waudio1 wrote:With that said it is super noisy. I was told by Cpap.com that is is noisy because it is a straight pressure machine (and the noise you hear is coming from the mask) which happens with all straight pressure machines. Evidently Auto machines are much quieter.
I suspect it's not the lack of pressure relief on exhale (Resmed EPR, Respironics *-Flex) with this new unit. With any machine (altho some can be locked out by clinician), you can disable the pressure relief to test it yourself. I've never noticed a very significant sound level change of pressure relief vs no pressure relief. The other thing, is that the Z1 does seem to have some sort of pressure relief on exhale.

I'm guessing the sound is transmitting down the tube. You could try an insulator around the tubing, but I'm guessing the sound is mostly transmitting through the cavity of the the hosing. This is likely why a filter in between helps with the noise as others reported.

Pinhead

Post by Pinhead » Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm

I have traveled quite bit with my machine. When I do I never have taken my humidifer and do not really notice the difference, You should try it at home without and see if it is a problem for you.

cotten

Post by cotten » Sun May 04, 2014 10:59 am

I bought one and immediately sold it. The sound is completely different than the S9. It sounds a lot like a whiney turbine that spins up and slows down. My belief is that the small diameter blower has to spin much faster to move as much air as the larger S9 blower resulting in the different sound. For me it was too much. Also, the feel of the flow was odd. It didn't ever feel like it was providing enough air.

I ended up with a small CPAP battery and a 3rd party DC adapter that is MUCH smaller than the resmed version.

Battery: http://www.thecpapshop.com/c-100-cpap-b ... er-reviews

DC Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Power-Sol ... B00IDDSM2Y

travel guy

Post by travel guy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:53 pm

I travel a lot so I bought this machine. I LOVE the size and the weight. It is a bit noisier than my RESMED home machine but not enough that it bothered me. Also it has a feature that ramps up the pressure over 15 minutes. So I often fell asleep before the pressure was going full blast. Overall very happy with my purchase but wish it came with a travel bag. Anyone know of a good travel bag that will fit this little unit??

bbf

Post by bbf » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:49 pm

FYI - heard from HDM that they are awaiting FDA approval on an auto version of the Z1.

BryanMsi

Post by BryanMsi » Mon May 11, 2015 6:26 pm

I also bought this machine with high hopes and was incredibly disappointed. It was over $1000 with the included PowerShell so quite a large investment.

Its tiny. Like really tiny. The whole machine with its battery shell is about half the size of just the blower part of my Respironics System One.
The battery shell is nice and compact and integrated into the unit's operation.
It looks nice and the display is easy to read

Dislikes:
It is VERY noisy, and in an annoying way. The sound comes down the tube into the mask. So its technically quiet for everyone except the user.
The sound is very high pitched. it sounds like a mini turbine engine spooling up (distracting)
Its a CPAP, not an APAP and getting used to steady pressure after being on an auto machine is difficult. The ZBreath helps a little but not much.
The battery doesn't last very long, maybe 6 hours at 11PSI.
The battery cannot be in the shell without it powering up the unit. This is a huge design flaw. You cannot put the battery in the shell when travelling. That's the most bone-headed design I have ever seen. So you have to carry the battery separate from the powershell, taking up twice the space. Just build an off-switch guys.
Many reviews commented on the unit not lasting more than 3 weeks (and it seems fragile enough I believe it). I was constantly worried about the unit shutting down leaving me without protection on the road. So I never travelled with just this device, and if my regular machine was with me there was no point in using this noisy Z1.

I really regret the purchase. They made too many compromises in exchange for the size.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Tue May 12, 2015 12:11 pm

BryanMsi wrote:I also bought this machine with high hopes and was incredibly disappointed. It was over $1000 with the included PowerShell so quite a large investment.

Its tiny. Like really tiny. The whole machine with its battery shell is about half the size of just the blower part of my Respironics System One.

Dislikes:
It is VERY noisy, and in an annoying way. The sound comes down the tube into the mask. So its technically quiet for everyone except the user.
The sound is very high pitched. it sounds like a mini turbine engine spooling up (distracting)
Its a CPAP, not an APAP and getting used to steady pressure after being on an auto machine is difficult. The ZBreath helps a little but not much.
The battery cannot be in the shell without it powering up the unit. This is a huge design flaw. You cannot put the battery in the shell when travelling. That's the most bone-headed design I have ever seen. So you have to carry the battery separate from the powershell, taking up twice the space. Just build an off-switch guys.
Many reviews commented on the unit not lasting more than 3 weeks (and it seems fragile enough I believe it). I was constantly worried about the unit shutting down leaving me without protection on the road. So I never travelled with just this device, and if my regular machine was with me there was no point in using this noisy Z1.

I really regret the purchase. They made too many compromises in exchange for the size.
Wait a minute. Are you sure that you have to carry the battery and the unit seperately? I'm a Z1 user but ebill is. I hope he responds to this....very interesting!

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Tue May 12, 2015 1:10 pm

Pesser wrote:
BryanMsi wrote:I also bought this machine with high hopes and was incredibly disappointed. It was over $1000 with the included PowerShell so quite a large investment.

Dislikes:

Wait a minute. Are you sure that you have to carry the battery and the unit seperately? I'm a Z1 user but ebill is. I hope he responds to this....very interesting!
Yes, he is correct. If the battery is left in the powershell it will drain rather quickly and there is a caution to that effect in the HDM literature for the battery and powershell.

The battery holds its charge fairly well when removed from the powershell as you would expect, but if left in the powershell a full battery can be drained within something like 48 hours.

From HDM Powershell Manual:

IMPORTANT: Remove the battery from the PowerShell when the Z1 is not in use, unless the power supply is plugged into the PowerShell to charge the battery. Otherwise the Z1 and PowerShell will drain the
battery completely in 2-3 days.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/