Does this sound like aerophagia?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
old dude

Does this sound like aerophagia?

Post by old dude » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:18 am

Two out of the last three nights I've either had aerophagia or a really bad case of indigestion that producing a lot of belching. Basically the symptom is that I awake with my stomach feeling tight, and when I open my mouth the air just seems to come rushing out for quite some time. It's not exactly pleasant smelling either. It can also come in shorter bursts which seem more like a series of just old fashioned burps. The thing that is puzzling is that nothing that I'm aware of has changed in my therapy protocol-nothing at all. I did have some greasy food one of those nights for dinner a little late (around 8:00 pm) but that's not unusual for me. I do take omeprazole 2X/day and a Zantac 150 before bed, so indigestion/gerd isn't normally a problem for me.

My pressures are currently down to Bipap 11/7, but I didn't have this problem when they were 17/13.

If it is aerophagia, any ideas as to the sudden onset with no variables having changed? And is there a way to prevent it? And if it's indigestion, it's a mystery to me as to why it's come about all of a sudden.

Julie

Re: Does this sound like aerophagia?

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:20 am

If you've recently lost even a little weight it could make a diff. to how high your pressure needs to be. Really!

Otherwise I'd see if it continues and then check with your MD if it doesn't subside.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:05 am

old dude wrote:Two out of the last three nights I've either had aerophagia or a really bad case of indigestion that producing a lot of belching. Basically the symptom is that I awake with my stomach feeling tight, and when I open my mouth the air just seems to come rushing out for quite some time. It's not exactly pleasant smelling either. It can also come in shorter bursts which seem more like a series of just old fashioned burps. The thing that is puzzling is that nothing that I'm aware of has changed in my therapy protocol-nothing at all. I did have some greasy food one of those nights for dinner a little late (around 8:00 pm) but that's not unusual for me. I do take omeprazole 2X/day and a Zantac 150 before bed, so indigestion/gerd isn't normally a problem for me.

My pressures are currently down to Bipap 11/7, but I didn't have this problem when they were 17/13.

If it is aerophagia, any ideas as to the sudden onset with no variables having changed? And is there a way to prevent it? And if it's indigestion, it's a mystery to me as to why it's come about all of a sudden.
If you are taking that much meds for acid reflux...you have GERD...not just indigestion. Sounds like that is your problem, not just areophagia.

old dude

Post by old dude » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 am

LSAT wrote:
old dude wrote:Two out of the last three nights I've either had aerophagia or a really bad case of indigestion that producing a lot of belching. Basically the symptom is that I awake with my stomach feeling tight, and when I open my mouth the air just seems to come rushing out for quite some time. It's not exactly pleasant smelling either. It can also come in shorter bursts which seem more like a series of just old fashioned burps. The thing that is puzzling is that nothing that I'm aware of has changed in my therapy protocol-nothing at all. I did have some greasy food one of those nights for dinner a little late (around 8:00 pm) but that's not unusual for me. I do take omeprazole 2X/day and a Zantac 150 before bed, so indigestion/gerd isn't normally a problem for me.

If you are taking that much meds for acid reflux...you have GERD...not just indigestion. Sounds like that is your problem, not just areophagia.
Can the two be related in any sort of a cause/effect relationship?

Rob108

Post by Rob108 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:49 am

I agree with LSAT. Sounds like a visit to a gastroenterologist should expect considered. Taking that much OTC(?) medication without ongoing medical follow up is a recipe for disaster. I get a endoscopy yearly for evaluating my Gerd / Barretts esophagus (Have for years). I take nexium once daily and an occasional tums if I over-indulge. Does your doctor know you're medicating that much daily?

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 am

I recently experienced a change like that. I started CPAP in May and took to it like a fish to water.

Then last month I start waking up with BLUUUUUURP BOOOORP BLUP BLUP fart toot blurp fart. (That's what aerophagia sounds like in my world.)

It seems that when my tummy is active, it happens. The air seems to get in when burps try to get out, and then a vicious cycle begins until the discomfort wakes me.

If you have GI issues, that seems to open the door to air getting in from CPAP. (My theory, anyway)

You are the Zzz's knees!

old dude

Post by old dude » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:53 am

Rob108 wrote:I agree with LSAT. Sounds like a visit to a gastroenterologist should expect considered. Taking that much OTC(?) medication without ongoing medical follow up is a recipe for disaster. I get a endoscopy yearly for evaluating my Gerd / Barretts esophagus (Have for years). I take nexium once daily and an occasional tums if I over-indulge. Does your doctor know you're medicating that much daily?
Yes, the omeprazole is of course Rx and the Zantac was additionally recommended by my doc. I do get ongoing treatment. It was actually ever an issue I was aware of, but rather the doc speculated that silent gerd could be the reason (or one of the reasons) for my vasomotor rhinitis.

old dude

Post by old dude » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:55 am

pootsie wrote:I recently experienced a change like that. I started CPAP in May and took to it like a fish to water.

Then last month I start waking up with BLUUUUUURP BOOOORP BLUP BLUP fart toot blurp fart. (That's what aerophagia sounds like in my world.)

It seems that when my tummy is active, it happens. The air seems to get in when burps try to get out, and then a vicious cycle begins until the discomfort wakes me.

If you have GI issues, that seems to open the door to air getting in from CPAP. (My theory, anyway)
Your last sentence, if accurate, would explain a lot! It makes sense in my case too.

Rob108

Post by Rob108 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:39 am

Yes, the omeprazole is of course Rx and the Zantac was additionally recommended by my doc. I do get ongoing treatment. It was actually ever an issue I was aware of, but rather the doc speculated that silent gerd could be the reason (or one of the reasons) for my vasomotor rhinitis.[/quote]

Omeprazole is also sold OTC, Prilosec... That's why I asked about seeing an Enterologist. Scoping & possible biopsy diagnoses or rules out serious problems. Have you been checked for H Pylori since being on that much medicine? Lowering the stomach PH often promotes the bacteria to take hold & flourish to the detriment of you.