OT: Nostalgic newbies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jedimark

OT: Nostalgic newbies

Post by jedimark » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:25 am

I was digging around cleaning up my emails and found a copy of SleepyHead v0.02 python script, which I started on March 9th, 2011.
It got me all nostalgic, thinking back to what it felt like when CPAP was all new and scary.. then I realized CPAPTalk has a pretty long archive history.

So just for fun.. I dare you to post a link to your first ever post on CPAPTalk, in all it's embarrasing newbie cringeworthy glory, tell us who first welcomed you to CPAPTalk, and how your doing now (treatment wise) verses when you first started.

To start things off, here's mine...
viewtopic.php?p=569556#p569556 (I did have a couple of nerd posts before that, but that was my introduction post)

Pugsy was the first one to welcome me to the forum.. Thanks Pugsy!

My original CPAP titration pressure was absolute rubbish and back then I could barely function, CPAP initially made me more tired, and it took me two years and quite a few tweaks to become less of a foggy mess. Until I went and switched to a new VPAP machine 3 days ago, the green bar in the RX change list (indicating optimal settings) was right at the top, for 180 days straight, showing my average AHI for that period of 2.86 (which is pretty good for me). It's gonna take me a while to get my green bar back at the top :-}

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Last edited by jedimark on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

Madalot

Re: OT: Nostalgic newbies

Post by Madalot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:29 am

viewtopic/t93176/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48 ... 71#p445871

jnk was the first to respond. He was so sweet and kind. Still is as a matter of fact.

Lazer1234

Post by Lazer1234 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:28 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91968&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Julie was the first one to comment on my post where I wondered link between sleep residence and tick bites. She 'did not quite understand what I was asking, because I'm from Sweden and translate with Google translate. I've had APAP for 2 years but then Pugsy helped me find Sleepyhead, I have gone to almost 0.0 AHI per night. Now I'm working on translating Sleepyhead to Swedish too. I have been a farmer before but after a heart attack last year, so my company went to hell. I soon go out of business, but what does it do? I'll spend the rest of m life to helping others with sleep problems. Here in Sweden, no one is trying to understand why they have sleep apnea, all trust in their sleep doctor. I'll try to help Sweden to better sleep. And this is thanks to CpapTalk.com. Thanks to all who enter here, it is a fantastic forum.

Everything I write I translate through Google Translate.
Hope you have patience with that, sometimes it can get a little crazy.
/Lazer1234

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:37 am

viewtopic/t93176/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35 ... 88#p305688

Rested Gal was the first to respond. I have always been fond of her ever since. She is probably the main reason I was successful with my bipap early on. I ow Rested Gal a lot!

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:51 am

I guess I never really introduced myself, This is my first post (a response to someone else's thread)
viewtopic/t93118/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53 ... 84#p498984
One might say I just hopped in and made myself at home. It just felt right.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:54 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41998&p=369252#p369252

Looks like a gentleman from England was the first but he apparently didn't stick around. Some of the others still pop in from time to time. Ozij was a big help to me getting my pressures tweaked. My titration study was the night from hell and I didn't come out of it with the best settings but that's another story. Ozij still drops by here but not as much as she did back then.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:58 am

It looks like I never wrote a "Hello, I'm new here and this is my story post."

On Sept. 18, 2010, I apparently overwhelmed people with too much detail on my very first post, questions about AHI vs. RDI and NO stage 3 sleep? since there were NO replies to it at the time I posted it. (But in fairness to the group -SWS resurrected this post about 6 or 7 months later when -SWS and NotMuffy were both looking intensely at my data to help sort out just why I was having such a difficult time.)

I stumped the group again on my second post (9/19/2010) by asking about Hypopneas w/Arousal and my AHI: question! which also got no responses.

My third post was asking for Suggestions about software for data tracking? GumbyCT answered my questions. So I guess that counts as my first "welcome."

The next set of posts: are pretty much self explanatory. Got lots of "Good For You" responses for keeping them mask on all night in The good, the bad, and the ugly and more skin care tips that I realized in skin care product ingredients ....

But the thread that seems to work best as an introductory thread for me is Dreading bedtime on night 4 of CPAP. DreamDiver was the first to respond to this post. Lots of other warm responses came from a whole gang of people, including Breathe Jimbo, Slartybarfast, jdm2857, JanKnitz, and BlackSpinner among others ...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:05 am

Not only were most of my questions answered in 3 months of searching and lurking;
also answered were a great many others I never thought to ask.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:07 am

Dumb question: how would I insert my first post?

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:08 am

Mark I had a chuckle when I read your post.... I could not for the life of me remember my very first post, so had to go digging and find it. It started out with "newbie Canuck here".... I had been using my brick for 6 days when the power went out here for 15 hours and then 11 hours the next night . I was set on the right road to getting my backup battery system by several of the guys here helping out this dumb old lady I said it then and Ill say it again...... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Nan
Last edited by nanwilson on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:10 am

I was helped by robysue and Pugsy at the outset. I was in good hands.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83090&p=753792#p753792

Just passed my one year anniversary, and doing well. I recently had surgery to overhaul my shoulder, and sleep has been elusive, but my compliance remains 100%.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:12 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:Dumb question: how would I insert my first post?
Go to the very first post you made and copy the url addy in the url addy line then paste it in the body of your post.
Just highlight the url addy line, right click mouse..copy...then come to the body of the post here and right click again and choose paste this time. We used to have to use the url boxes in the forum editor but something seems to have changed and I no longer have to do that step.

For those who don't know how to get to their first post. Go to your profile and click on "search posts" and go to the oldest page and your first post will be down at the bottom. That's assuming you have things set to show newest/most recent posts first which is the system default.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:15 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50075&p=459742#p459742

BleepingBeauty was on the spot to get me started out.

Mgsnorer

Post by Mgsnorer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:26 am

I am still a relative newbie here. Proud to say my first post was responding to a call for Sleepyhead donations, but my second post was a request about what I was later to learn was a most controversial subject: cleaning, who knew?

viewtopic/t93176/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=91 ... 51#p839151

Julie was first to respond

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:28 am

Nostalgia? Ah, I remember it like it was just last May

The usual suspects welcomed me. Thanks, suspects!

You are the Zzz's knees!