Distilled Water Shortage

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
VikingGnome

Distilled Water Shortage

Post by VikingGnome » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:58 pm

Went to get a few gallons of distilled water (I use a gallon a week) at WalMart and they didn't have any, nada, zippo, not even a place on the selves for it. So I went to Kroger's and again, no distilled water. What is going on? Is this shortage limited to just my neck of the woods? I finally went to Walgreens and bought the last 3 gallons they had ($1.39 versus 88 cents at WalMart and 89 cents at Kroger's). Hope WalMart or Kroger's gets in a new shipment soon. I talked with the Kroger stockboy and he said they hadn't had a shipment of distilled water for quite some time and didn't know when they would be getting any.

chunkyfrog

Re: Distilled Water Shortage

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:04 pm

Hoarding. This could be funny when people try to drink it.

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:15 pm

I was trying to think of other uses of distilled water to explain the sudden shortage. Room and home humidifiers use distilled water unless you want white dust everywhere or buy expensive mineral filters frequently. Can't imagine a sudden increased in use of room humidifiers right now. Those are usually blowing mist 24/7 during dry winter with central heating. Also popular for people, kids and babies with colds, flu, coughing, etc. But no big epidemic that I know of.

Is everyone suddenly pressing their slacks and shirts at home with "steam irons" that use distilled water.

Maybe some fanatic freakazoid proclaimed city water to not be suitable for bathing and washing clothes. Now that could get expensive FAST.

msla

Post by msla » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:16 pm

Got 2 gallons for nasal rinse yesterday at Wallyworld. It is steam distilled. For my CPAP I use RO from Wally world.

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Most co-ops and some grocery stores have purified water stations (you bring your own containers). Where I shop the co-op water station has reverse osmosis as well as deionized water spouts. I get my deionized water for my humidifier there.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:13 pm

I bought a Countertop water distiller from craigslist for about $30. I use that to make my distilled water for my humidifier. Works really well for me because I hate schlepping water.

archangle

Distilled Water Shortage

Post by archangle » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:28 am

It's all Obama's fault.

Maybe more people are using distilled water for certain things like neti after hearing about the brain eating Naegleria fowleri amoeba in some tap water. Maybe some of the big water processors are sending bottled water to the flooded areas out west.

However, I suspect it's just one of those unexplainable supply variations. My local stores seem to vary widely between none to full stock with no obvious rhyme or reason.

Don't worry too much about using tap water in CPAP if needed for a few nights. Just dump the water in the morning, and wash the tank. Be sure to not overfill the tank.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm

They must have shipped them all to my Wal*Mart.

I bought 2 just yesterday from there.

The shelf was FULL with distilled water.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:32 pm

archangle wrote:Don't worry too much about using tap water in CPAP if needed for a few nights. Just dump the water in the morning, and wash the tank. Be sure to not overfill the tank.
I use Aqua-Pod bottles for my distilled water. They are just the right size for the Respironics water tank without the chance of over-flow. I drank the water, refilled with distilled and was ready to go.

For ResMed water tanks, the smallest Fiji bottles are just right. You fill them up to the ridge-line at the bottom of the threads. Then they fill the tank perfectly.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

vwayland

Post by vwayland » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:11 pm

Well, here it is two years later and the same situation here. It's been this way for 6 months at least. My Safeway always has empty shelf-space and the local Kroger brand is sparse. I also try the Target grocery center.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Sounds like it may be time to buy your own distiller and make your own...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:29 pm

I suspect the U.S. bottlers, lost the recipe, and the Chinese are trying to reverse engineer the formulation. If it was rocket science, anyone could make it. Jim

I tried to make it at home once, but it didn't come our right. It tasted like Jack Daniels, so I flushed it down the toilet.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:23 am

vwayland wrote:Well, here it is two years later and the same situation here. It's been this way for 6 months at least. My Safeway always has empty shelf-space and the local Kroger brand is sparse. I also try the Target grocery center.
You don't have a Walmart in your area?
I've usually kept several gallons in reserve, but it takes me almost three months to go through a gallon of distilled.
The last time I walked through that area of our local Walmart (a week or two ago), they had a number of gallons on the shelves, but not an overabundance.
I wouldn't hesitate to use filtered water (like Brita)......and have on a number of occasions. Nothing is going to get out of the HH tank anyway, but it may require a little extra cleaning now and then.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:36 am

Yes, no problem here in California, in the land of extended drought. Both our local supermarket and pharmacy/variety store have lots distilled water. Probably just a temporary regional thing when shortages crop up. They'll very likely catch up their inventory in a while. There have been times when various places are out of stock on it, but they catch up again fairly soon after. We have RO water that we buy and use for drinking water that could also be used in a cpap humidifier, so I could always use that if I needed to. We keep a couple of extra jugs of that around for water in case of an earthquake.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Walmart...Target...Walgreens...CVS...Most Grocery Chains