changing Swift FX pillow size = aerophagia?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Iowamv

changing Swift FX pillow size = aerophagia?

Post by Iowamv » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:40 am

23 days into my cpap adventure, and my nose was still sore, even after putting Lanisoh on it daily. So I decided to try a different size pillow. I was at M before, this time I tried a large. I don't know why that hadn't occurred to me before. I hadn't tried the large on since my overnight stay in the sleep lab, and had tried it on only briefly.

I also read in a thread in the last couple of days that those pillows are meant to inflate (who'd have thunk it?), and so the straps should be very loose. I, on the other hand, had been lashing those suckers on my head like I was preparing for a hurricane. So last night, I let the mask float on my face.

First the good news: another 0.0 AHI night, and I woke up with my nose feeling much better. It was extremely comfortable. And I had virtually no leaks.

But the bad news: I woke up with pretty bad aerophagia. I was mighty uncomfortable, and I would very much not like to repeat that ever again.

Advice?

Iowamv

Re: changing Swift FX pillow size = aerophagia?

Post by Iowamv » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:41 am

Well, never mind. Might have found this answer in the archives by accident. Robysue posted last week in another thread:
Don't eat supper too late. Track what you eat for supper on the nights when aerophagia is a serious problem; it could be you'll need to limit or eliminate certain foods or drinks from your "after 6 pm" diet.
I did eat a couple pieces of fruit before going to bed. Will give it another go tonight then and see what happens.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:40 am

You know it's funny but we tend to put all the blame for anything that goes wrong with us either on sleep apnea or the sleep apnea treatment. It's human nature.

I saw your post this morning but didn't have time to compose a reply but I see you have already found a possible explanation.
I don't think it was related to the nasal pillow size change at all. Most likely a coincidence or maybe food related.
I have nights where I don't have any aerophagia issues at all the next day but on occasion I will have a day where I am a world class burping and farting machine and I have not changed a thing from my normal routine.

Sleeping position may be one of my culprits but I don't know for sure and it's hard to isolate. Some positions allow for the air to sneak past the LES junction into the stomach more so than other positions. So you might keep that in mind if it happens again.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:14 pm

I just recently experienced a pattern of swallowing tons of air, although I do not think I altered my might-time habits much. Perhaps I have, as I've had a lot of early mornings lately.

Boy is it getting annoying. Bluurrarrrppp! My wife is annoyed by it, too
I will try moving my evening cutoff for oral intake to an earlier time.

I notice it happens most flat on my back, which is the position that my new friend, the CPAP machine I've had since May, seems to make me want to adopt. It's easiest to keep the mask in place flat on my back

You are the Zzz's knees!