Wisp Clear vs Fabric frame

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shimon

Wisp Clear vs Fabric frame

Post by shimon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:27 pm

I ordered a Wisp nasal mask with the clear silicone frame. The frame is somewhat uncomfortable on my cheeks as the silicone frame presses on my cheekbones...not very tightly...just in an annoying, sticky kind of way. I was wondering if anyone has compared the fabric frame to the clear silicone frame? Is it better? Is it more comfortable? I have time to exchange it but I don't really want to make things worse.

I originally tried on the clear silicone frame at my DME but opted for the Eson mask instead of the Wisp at the time. But, in the never ending search for the perfect mask, I thought I would order the Wisp since it was virtually a tie when I tried them on at the DME's office. After wearing each of them for a week, the Wisp is a lot more comfortable on the nose (Eson really bruises/irritates the bridge of my nose). But the Eson has a more comfortable frame/headgear. I wish I could combine the best elements of each mask.

In any event, if people claim the fabric mask for the Wisp is overall more comfortable than the silicone, I will be one step closer to mask nirvana. These nasal masks are infinitely more comfortable and have no leaks compared to the five FF masks I have used over the past year.

Thanks!

Stormynights

Re: Wisp Clear vs Fabric frame

Post by Stormynights » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:06 pm

I have both and I think the fabric is more comfortable but the thing where it latches is stretched out so it isn't as durable but I could have the one that was discontinued.

papman857

Post by papman857 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 pm

I have heard many different testimonials from many different people some people like the silicone head gear because the silicone sort of sticks to the face reducing slippage and the fabric head gear just the opposite. it really is just a form of preference.

shimon

Post by shimon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Are the cushions the same for the two different frames? Can you use a cushion from the clear silicone frame on a fabric frame model?

papman857

Post by papman857 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 pm

Yes...cushions are the same on the silicone and the fabric headgear....works with all 3 sizes of cushions that come in the fit pack. The base of the cushion is universal.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:01 am

Everything is interchangeable; except the little button clips.
I couldn't use them on the fabric frame, so I just ran the straps through.
I much prefer the silicone frame, and have used the fabric frame only twice.

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:13 am

It really is a preference thing. We seem to put out about equal amounts of fabric vs clear frames with maybe a little more of the fabric frames going out. We have had good success with the Wisp mask overall though-good solid mask.
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com

jwerley

Post by jwerley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:35 am

Karen at Pad-A-Cheek sells fabric liners for the Wisp.
http://padacheek.com/

"He who understands you is greater kin to you than your own brother. For even your own kindred may neither understand you nor know your true worth."
Kahlil Gibran

oak

Post by oak » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:29 am

shimon i tried the wisp with silicone frame during my sleep study, and i got the wisp with fabric frame from the DME as my first mask. you could accomplish the softer feeling with your silicone mask with pad a cheek accessories. i just got a pillows "barrel" cover from them for my swift fx for her thanks to the recommendation of someone here, and I am in heaven. it makes it really really soft and comfortable.

http://padacheek.com/Wisp.html

shimon

Post by shimon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks again for all the replies.

The pad-a-cheek Wisp side strap liners look like a good solution. Although, having an extra mask is always nice as a backup. Plus, I think I'm developing a mask fetish. Can't get enough of them.

papman857

Post by papman857 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:56 pm

I have heard of some weird fetishes but a mask fetish???

doylestownhoppie

Post by doylestownhoppie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:57 am

The fabric frame keeps breaking so I am trying the silicone one.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:13 am

I think we need to start a contest to see who has had the most masks.
Probably have to put a time limit on it. Maybe five years, or the old timers would win just because of longevity.

djp

Post by djp » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:04 am

fabric keeps braking. it appears to me to be a design flaw that was put in to get you to buy more when they break. mine always brakes at the bottom where the notches are in and the fabric it is smaller or not as thick. . there is no real reason I can see for this. it is the same thickness at the top and could be designed to have the same thickness at the bottom. however if they did that it would last longer an you would not have to buy a new frame as often. I am trying the silicone 1 today to see if it is stronger.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:39 pm

chunkyfrog wrote: I couldn't use them on the fabric frame, so I just ran the straps through.
I much prefer the silicone frame, and have used the fabric frame only twice.
I agree. I also tried the trick of sliding the strap thru the loops/slots but it was too tedious. (this was a few years ago, now I use an FFM)

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.