Need help with my newly-acquired Resmed VPAPII ST-A

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
phearly

Need help with my newly-acquired Resmed VPAPII ST-A

Post by phearly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 am

I'm new to CPAP's in general. I recently acquired a used Resmed Sullivan VPAP II. I am needing to set it up for my personal needs and am needing some advice to do it. My prescription says that I need a pressure of 16. I found the manual online and it tells how to get into the clinical menus but from there I am kind of lost as to what to set the options to. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it, since I am really wanting to get started using it as soon as possible. Thanks

jdm2857

Re: Need help with my newly-acquired Resmed VPAPII ST-A

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Your machine is very complex and has many more settings that a straight CPAP.

I think I would start out in straight CPAP (CP) Mode. Set IPAP (inspiratory pressure) to 16. In CPAP
mode this will be the pressure all of the time.

If you would like the pressure to start out lower than 16 and increase over a period of time
(called Ramp on newer machines) you should set Start Pressure to the pressure at which you
want to start out. I wouldn't go lower than 6. Set the Delay Timer to the number of minutes
over which you would like the pressure increase to occur. At the end of this time period, the
pressure will be 16. Note that Clinical Mode must be locked from the Patient Menu for the
Delay Timer to work.

If you set SmartStart/Stop to on, the machine will automatically start when you start breathing with
the mask on. It will also automatically stop a few seconds after you take the mask off.

If you set Mask Alarm to on, an alarm will sound if you take the mask off during the night.

Set Humidifier to on if you have the humidifier attached.

You may be able to increase comfort by using the Spontaneous (S) mode. I'll leave
discussion of this to users with experience using this type of machine.
jeff