Can I get by without a humidifier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cherylann

Can I get by without a humidifier?

Post by cherylann » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:24 pm

I have two machines - a CPAP and a BIPAP - that's a long story. But, I am going to have the BIPAP programmed to use as a CPAP for when I travel which is a lot. I'm tired of having unplug and pack everything up. Both machines are RESMED S9.

What exactly does the humidifier do?

Goofproof

Re: Can I get by without a humidifier?

Post by Goofproof » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:37 pm

If you don't mouthbreath, you can probably do without, I haven't put water in mine for 2 years, I leave it on the machine to act as a noize muffler, probably not necessary. I do keep ice water for sips at night.

A Hh ad's moisture to the xpap air stream, many like it, for me I like it better without, seems cooler. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:30 am

Humidification is so individualized. In years past if I took a short trip I carried my old ResMed S7 with no humidifier with no problems. A couple years ago my visit was closer to 2 weeks and something was very different. Toward the end of my trip the turbinate area inside my nose first just felt dry and a bit uncomfortable but progressed to searing pain exacerbated by even normal breathing. No way I could use the machine and had to resort to sleeping sitting upright till it healed. Took a trip recently and decided I'd rather make the extra effort and avoid a possible replay. Maybe you could do some trial runs at home for the length of time you usually travel. Still no guarantees, just depends on how much of a risk taker you are. You may do just fine.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:59 am

Kteague suggestion is good,.

I know the Fisher & Paykel Icons aren't popular on this board, but I like mine because the humidifer is built in and its quite a compact machine

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:32 am

Hello cherylann,

The reason humidity is important to many people who use pressure therapy, is because your upper airway not only warms the air you breathe, but also moistens it. When you add pressure to keep a person's airway open, you also increase the volume of air processed. People with lower pressures in my experience have done better acclimating to a circuit without a humidifier, but just like kteague says, everyone is different. Even slight flow limitation caused by over secreting sinuses can cause a person's sleep to feel nonrestorative.

Hope that helps.

Jim
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:01 am

My troubled sinuses have responded so well to having humidified CPAP I would never go without it.

I have had two cures in one!

You are the Zzz's knees!

PST

Post by PST » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:08 am

I use mine in the winter when the air is dry and don't bother in the summer when the air is usually humid.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 am

SleepWellCPAP wrote:Hello cherylann,

The reason humidity is important to many people who use pressure therapy, is because your upper airway not only warms the air you breathe, but also moistens it. When you add pressure to keep a person's airway open, you also increase the volume of air processed. People with lower pressures in my experience have done better acclimating to a circuit without a humidifier, but just like kteague says, everyone is different. Even slight flow limitation caused by over secreting sinuses can cause a person's sleep to feel nonrestorative.

Hope that helps.

Jim
The amount of added "volume of air processed" is insignificant relative to changes in ambient humidity during the day or going in and/or out of doors. Your reason for CPAP humidity being important is found very much lacking.

Sure humidified air is an individual comfort thing but if you don't have to walk around during the day with added humidity, you probably don't have to sleep with added humidity.

I used a nice H&P HC150 for several years following the sleep industry dogma that it was needed ... but weaned myself off of all humidification at the beginning of this year and have suffered no ill effects or declines in my CPAP efficacy.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:11 am

As you can see from the previous responses, some folks need humidification for nasal relief or nasal issues. Some use it for comfort. I realised a few years back that I can get along without it. It has saved me from a lot of unneeded hassle. It's your choice.

Sheriff

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:37 am

cherylann wrote:I have two machines - a CPAP and a BIPAP - that's a long story. But, I am going to have the BIPAP programmed to use as a CPAP for when I travel which is a lot. I'm tired of having unplug and pack everything up. Both machines are RESMED S9.

What exactly does the humidifier do?
Cherylann,

As several have pointed out, humidity is a personal thing. We all have different needs, but most of us need humidity under some conditions.

For myself, any night without the humidifier means cracked nasal tissues and a throat so dry I can't swallow by morning. That said, sometimes when the weather is warm enough, the humidifier doesn't have to be powered. It can just act as a pass over humidifier.

But hey, you have options. Why not experiment? Try it at home without the humidifier for one or two nights. If that works, try traveling with the humidifier in your bag a few nights but not using it. If that works, you may be able to lighten your travel load.

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:54 am

A lot of it may depend on where you live. We are in a high desert area where average humidity is about 10 percent winter or summer. A humidifier is almost a must. My wife and I have also learned that if you come down with a cold and a cough, if you have the humidifier on you seldom cough at night. I run my Icon Auto at a 4 humidity setting year round.

cherylann

Post by cherylann » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks, everybody. I'm going to try it without it this week and see what happens. I am a mouth breather, but even with the humidifier I wake up (for lack of a better term since I never really sleep) with an extremely dry mouth. But, that as only been recently.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:37 am

cherylann wrote:Thanks, everybody. I'm going to try it without it this week and see what happens. I am a mouth breather, but even with the humidifier I wake up (for lack of a better term since I never really sleep) with an extremely dry mouth. But, that as only been recently.
If you are breathing through your mouth, you should remedy that issue before going off the humidification.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Snuffle-nose

Post by Snuffle-nose » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:47 am

I do not use a humidifier on my cpap and it has been like that for few year, I think I got used not using one because I have been thru few different cpap machines and they didn't have that option so I got used to going to sleep without it. I have only tried it once, but I couldn't use and adjust to it when I sleep study and they had make go without it. I see humidifier as luxury on the machines, as they ones with more features cost a packet!!!
Been on CPAP for a while.....I had moderate apenoa

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:50 am

Even without mouth breathing, I find CPAP dries out my nose and throat. Or maybe I've just gotten used to humidification. I'm uncomfortable CPAPing without it.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.