Ramping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HMR

Ramping

Post by HMR » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:20 am

What is the purpose of ramping on start-up? My Resmed S 7 Lightweight is now set for a 5 Minutes of ramping and a set pressure of 7lb h20(?). It was originally set by the technicians for a 45 minute ramp-up. I changed the ramp-up time myself since it is one of the items on the menu. Any help would be appreciated.

Big Snore

Post by Big Snore » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:27 am

Ramping is there for the people that dont like the breeze on their faces....The idea is that the machine starts at a lower pressure then ramps up to your prescribed pressure over a set period of time, so that one could fall asleep at the lighter pressure.

Corey
Its always breezy in here....

UKnowWhatInSeattle

Post by UKnowWhatInSeattle » Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:57 pm

For people with higher pressure requirements, I think ramping helps by allowing your system to get used the the pressure gradually. For noise-sensitive people (like me) the ramp is useful because the machine is quieter at lower pressure. I think some folks think that "ramps is for sissies", but I sure find it helps me get to sleep before the roaring starts. I think it gives my wife a head start with sleep also. I've been "on the hose" for close to a year and I still use the ramp feature every night.

bilbo60

ramping

Post by bilbo60 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:41 pm

I have been using my cpap for a year now and I do not use ramping. I start off with full pressure. I have a humidifier on my cpap and I use deep breathing to fall asleep. This method also relaxes me so I do not feel Iam suffocating. If you can not do this while the cpap is on try deep breayhing before you use your cpap machine.

53now

Post by 53now » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:26 pm

My (Bipap) pressure is 15/11. I tried the ramp feature but found myself just waiting around for the "blower" to kick on. So...it's much better for me to go full bore.

MegansMum

Post by MegansMum » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:17 am

My respratory therapist told me that ramping is good for people trying to get used to there machine, it starts at a lower pressure and builds up to full pressure over a period of a few minutes mine takes 10 minutes to build up to full pressure, I'm going to try it tonight for the first time. Last night in the hopsital at my sleep study, my time first on a CPAP, I started at full pressure and felt like I was getting to much air in and could not get any out. She told me that ramping would help alleviate this feeling.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:19 am

I've never used ramp. My autopap pressure range is set for 10 - 16. I have no problem breathing at the 10 it starts out using. I've tried dropping the lower pressure down just to see, and found out quickly that I feel like I "want more air" if it's down at 4 or 5. Six is "ok", but I really prefer more for the lowest pressure. I go to sleep fairly quickly, and I sure don't want a machine hanging back on lower pressures, even if I did use ramp and had shortened it to just a few minutes. I simply prefer to have my treatment pressure right from the git-go, and luckily have no problem with it. But, I can certainly understand why some do like having ramp available.

As Megansmum mentioned, what her therapist said is true for many people...they are more comfortable with a low pressure to start out with.

However, a complaint I've read over and over again from people who are given machines with "ramp" enabled is that they feel like they are suffocating for quite a time when they first turn their machines on. Often the DME (home health care people) think they are doing the new user a favor by setting the ramp to start out at the very lowest pressure possible - 4. Most people do need more than 4 to breathe easily with a mask on.

Megansmum, I'd suggest that you make sure the therapist sets the ramp pressure at 5 or 6 for you. You might be one of the few who does ok starting at the very lowest possible; but 5 or 6 might be a lot more comfortable while still giving you a low, easy "start".

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:14 am

Some machines default to a starting pressure of 4, 20 minutes. Luckily the newer ones are able to be set to your preference.

Whenever I set a new patient up on CPAP, I explain to them that if they fall asleep very quickly, the ramp may not be for them, because 4 is a pretty low pressure to have with the mask on and they may feel like they're suffocating. Then again, I also explain that the ramp is an option, and you may feel like using it some nights and not on others- it's totally up to the patient.

Janelle

Post by Janelle » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:54 am

Question: If someone does fall asleep during the set ramp time, and they have a need for higher pressure, will the machine override the ramp pressure?

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:02 pm

I don't think so, Janelle. It's my understanding (shaky at best! lol) that "ramp" is gonna have to run its course (the amount of time the ramp is set to be in use) no matter what happens if you go to sleep. That's one of the main reasons I don't bother with ramp.

Guest, are you Christine? Whoever you are, you're so right about ramp being something the patient should be in control of. I know you understand that ramp starting down at 4 is a notch or two too low for many people, but I wonder how many average DME employees know that? Wonder how many "setter-uppers" even have the new user try out ramp with the mask on to find out if they might need a bit higher pressure set for the start of ramp, or explain clearly what to do should they feel suffocated when they try it again later.

Apnatic

To Ramp Or Not ToRamp, That is the...

Post by Apnatic » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:59 pm

I have used my ramp since I have had a cpap, 6 yrs.

I am now at 17cm, and the air is too blasting and too noisy, this is good for me to go to sleep, helps me relax while the pressure is low, I have never found I need more air during the ramp time, I used to have a ramp of only 10 min and I was always hitting the button to reset, now my ramp is 30 min., I am slow to doze off, and it is perfect for me.

I guess it is a presonal preference...

Good Luck!

Apnatic

garym053

Post by garym053 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:10 pm

I am at a pressure of 16, and have been at that pressure and on CPAP for 2 years now! (Time flies when you are getting sleep!)
My machine came with the ramp set for something like 20 minutes or whatever. I turned the ramp off after a couple days because I found myself laying there waiting for the CPAP to "Kick" in. Also, I found that I felt that I wasn't getting enough air during the ramp time.
Like masks, CPAP's, and everything else, it's a matter of personal choice. I heartily agree that this feature (I actually believe that ALL Features) should be able to be changed by the patient.
Gary