Terrific Sleep Therapy Book

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DEXSUZ

Terrific Sleep Therapy Book

Post by DEXSUZ » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:26 am

Have just finished reading an outstanding book that deals with sleeping problems. "Sound Sleep Sound Mind" was written by sleep therapist Dr. Barry Krakow. I read it in Kindle form and found much of the first third of the book to be rather dull but once he got to apnea, CPAP, and sleep studies he was hitting on all cylinders. Many who have doubts, concerns, or fears about submitting themselves to a 'slumber party' can gain a sledge of information from this book. For me, a three-month grizzled veteran of the Quattro FX mask after decades of downright - I must say it - shitty sleep, Krakow's work has convinced me that I did the right thing and that many others can also benefit from our experiences and wisdom.

Even if you've been on CPAP for years, you'll learn much from "Sound Sleep Sound Mind".

God bless and happy reading.

MyIdaho

Re: Terrific Sleep Therapy Book

Post by MyIdaho » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:21 am

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Book ordered!

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Hey "My":

The book goes slowly at the beginning when the author hashes over the mental and psychological side of sleep. I joked with my wife that the book was the cure for poor sleep because it was putting ME to sleep. Perhaps that's because I've learned so much about the not-so-simple act of sleeping since I had my study on January 17.

The further I went into the book, however, I kept hearing myself say, "I wish I'd known this 1) years ago, 2) before my titration night, and 3) in the ensuing days when my CPAP outfit was driving me crazy.

Best of luck but again, be patient with the early part of the book before Krakow really revs up.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Yes its a great book. If you search the forum you will find many posts with positive comments on it.

ZolliStar

Post by ZolliStar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:31 pm

I learned a great deal from Dr. Krakow's book. Indeed, I just gifted a copy to a friend who is having sleep apnea problems and also disordered breathing problems.

Another good book is SLEEP INTERRUPTED by Steven Y. Park. Definitely worth adding to your bookshelf, right next to your copy of SOUND SLEEP, SOUND MIND.

pandatx

Post by pandatx » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:36 am

Thank you for the review. I started the book and just couldn't get into it. You've convinced me to give it another try. I didn't stick with it long enough. I was still in the boring part, lol.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:46 am

DEXSUZ wrote:Krakow's work has convinced me that I did the right thing
Just curious......What did it convince you of?
Do you practice the tools presented in the book?
If so, how do they help?
pandatx wrote:I was still in the boring part, lol.
The tools are presented in the “boring” part of the book.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

ellen1159

Post by ellen1159 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:57 am

Thanks for the recommendation and for the tips about the book. I am going to order it for my Kindle.

Humidifier: Respironics heated humidifier
Mask: F&P Eson Nasal mask
(previous tries with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal and Mirage Quattro Full Face...still looking for my holy grail mask)

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:04 am

We just got back from NM. My GF had a sleep study done with Dr. Krakow. He is the most thorough sleep doc I've ever found. I went to him a couple of years ago and he really helped me.

I also was having sleep issues and read his book. After following his recommendations, I slept better. I still sleep better but I also do the simple exercises he outlines in his book every night when falling asleep. They work. For anyone having sleep problems of any kind I highly recommend his book.

JeffH