Hiding cpap a from family members

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eeckel

Hiding cpap a from family members

Post by eeckel » Mon May 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Do you hide cpap from any of your family? Perhaps you just don't mention it?

This upcoming memorial day weekend I'm taking my frail elderly aunt on an extended weekend getaway. She is a worrier, has poor hearing and has experienced several deaths of people she loved. I know it will be hard to explain pap without alarming her so I'll be using Provent. But this doesn't feel right either. But I want to show her a good time and not cause her any stress.

Have any of you had similar experiences and how did you make he decision about revealing your use of pap?

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Hiding cpap a from family members

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon May 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Sorry, I don't think hiding CPAP from anybody makes any sense at all.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon May 20, 2013 7:31 pm

eeckel wrote:Do you hide cpap from any of your family? Perhaps you just don't mention it?

This upcoming memorial day weekend I'm taking my frail elderly aunt on an extended weekend getaway. She is a worrier, has poor hearing and has experienced several deaths of people she loved. I know it will be hard to explain pap without alarming her so I'll be using Provent. But this doesn't feel right either. But I want to show her a good time and not cause her any stress.

Have any of you had similar experiences and how did you make he decision about revealing your use of pap?
Little old ladies are tougher than you think. Just show it to her and let her see what it does.

It is very kind of you to take her on a getaway. Have fun.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon May 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Does your aunt hide her meds? Its a no brainer, you are worrying about something that doesnt mean anything to anyone. If you are worrying about hiding cpap, how much worry is involved in hiding a coffin. Wake up! Jim

We all have lives and little problems, live the life and deal with the small problems, and pray we arent given bigger problems.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Since OSA tends to run in families, it actually might reassure her to know you are taking care of yourself.
For all you know, she might be hiding HERS.

grapeshly

Post by grapeshly » Mon May 20, 2013 8:33 pm

My aunt and and mother were like this. ANYTHING at all would set them worrying, and worse yet, they would obsess about it ceaselessly. If I so much as coughed, or sniffed, I'd get an earful, and for days! If your aunt is like this, I know exactly what you mean. And NO science based explanation would shake them out of it.

I think with my mom and my aunt, it was almost as if they got some kind of kick out of being so worried. In the end, it was useless trying to walk on eggshells around them. I dealt with it by repeating that there was no medical basis for their claims, and then if they continued obsessing, I'd make a little wisecrack (but a light one, and admittedly not something everyone can do), and change the topic. They were who they were and I couldn't change them, nor would I want to.

Not sure how much this helps, but I would say that if you want to carry out this deception, think carefully if this is truly to protect her, and not to just save yourself the bother of dealing with her possible reaction. I'm not judging. Your aunt really could get worried and obsessed to the point of mental anguish. Only you know your aunt, and I don't think there's a wrong answer.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon May 20, 2013 8:51 pm

Or you could drop a stray cat on their porch until the fotget the cpap. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon May 20, 2013 9:06 pm

Living honestly means that you be yourself in the fullest capacity you are capable of - and letting those who are around you choose for themselves how they will respond. The fact that you are on cpap is not going to change whether your aunt knows it or not. What WILL change is the respect you have for yourself in being true to who you are. When you compromise the truth of who you are to someone, then you cease to be the real true you.

Let the chips fall where they may. No, you can't control her reaction, but you can make choice as to what you want to do in response to her reactions. Choose to control the situation instead of letting it control you.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Mon May 20, 2013 9:20 pm

eeckel wrote:Do you hide cpap from any of your family? Perhaps you just don't mention it?

I wouldn't try to hide it. Its no good for you to do so. Instead, I think I would explain it in very light terms. "Yep, I do this to protect my health... and I feel so much better since I started." Something along those lines.

BrandonB

Post by BrandonB » Mon May 20, 2013 10:26 pm

quietmorning wrote:Living honestly means that you be yourself in the fullest capacity you are capable of - and letting those who are around you choose for themselves how they will respond. The fact that you are on cpap is not going to change whether your aunt knows it or not. What WILL change is the respect you have for yourself in being true to who you are. When you compromise the truth of who you are to someone, then you cease to be the real true you.

Let the chips fall where they may. No, you can't control her reaction, but you can make choice as to what you want to do in response to her reactions. Choose to control the situation instead of letting it control you.
This is a great way to put it. And these words can apply to so many more things in life than simply being a hose head. My mom worried about it, but I simply said "as long as I wear this each night, I'm healthy and you don't have to worry about me." Not a peep since!
Life before my CPAP was really no life at all!

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon May 20, 2013 10:58 pm

How much and what we say is naturally going to be catered to the listener and the relationship. Your aunt's limited hearing makes it a bit more difficult to have a full conversation about it. If it were me, I think I'd keep it simple and tell her she will be glad to know you won't be keeping her awake with your loud snoring since you've got a machine that helps you with that. Then just give her whatever other information she wants to know. Maybe you'll get lucky and that litlle bit will suffice. It is very considerate of you to not want to worry her. Just would hope you don't have to compromise your own well being to accomplish that. She's blessed to have you.

Last edited by kteague on Wed May 22, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John from Brookston

Post by John from Brookston » Mon May 20, 2013 11:14 pm

I'd just say "It helps me sleep better" and leave it at that.

Big fat guy who's diabetic, on HRT, and now a heart attack survivor as well as having OSA (boy, I sure won the genetic rodeo, din't I?). Ham Radio operator and I have a black tomcat named "Bart" who looks like an old prize fighter.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 am

CPAP not scary,
I'll be using Provent
but THAT IS scary.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue May 21, 2013 8:34 am

Tell them it's a high tech hookah.

Or maybe tell them it's some sort of holistic crystal homeopathic kharma generator.

Mostly joking, but as George Carlin said, "Tell people there’s an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure."

It's sort of sad that many people would accept a holistic crystal homeopathic khama generator, but they'd be skeptical of a CPAP machine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

letsride

Post by letsride » Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 pm

I feel great after using my Cpap!
Nothing to be embarrassed about!