Nose surgery

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
terence999

Nose surgery

Post by terence999 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:43 pm

I have a deviated septum and some other problems that make nose breathing difficult at night. Is it worth the trouble to get my nose fixed to make my basic breathing better? I think if I could breath well through my nose I could use nose pillow instead of the full face mask. The full masks leave my face red and sore and always leak and make a racket. I know that this surgery will not cure apnea but I have tried full mask, provent and dental device for the OSA. I still am sleepy all the time and feel awful in the morning. My wife jumps up at 7am ready to go. I am ready to go back to bed.

Terence999

patrick_a

Re: Nose surgery

Post by patrick_a » Thu May 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Hell no!!!

Many of us you had the surgery experienced complications. My constant sinus infections are now a thing of the past, but I've had bloody noses everyday since ~25 yrs ago. My left side is constantly closing up from the scab and/or scar tissue. Spent years using Flonase spray but never addressed the real problem.

Btw, did mention, don't do it!

tooter

Post by tooter » Thu May 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Listen to your doctor...get a second opinion if necessary. DON'T take advise from a message board....by the way, my deviated septum surgery was a complete success with no complications.
Fixed pressure at 11

terence999

Post by terence999 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:25 pm

How do I modify my profile to include facts about the machine and mask I am attempting to use? I can't figure out everything on this board.

Terence

pianokay

Post by pianokay » Thu May 16, 2013 5:49 pm

My husband had surgery 2x (20 years apart) and neither had good long lasting effect. He will not be going back a 3rd time.

patrick_a

Post by patrick_a » Thu May 16, 2013 6:00 pm

terence999 wrote:How do I modify my profile to include facts about the machine and mask I am attempting to use? I can't figure out everything on this board.

Terence
viewtopic/t89433/faq.php

Kate M

Post by Kate M » Thu May 16, 2013 6:16 pm

terence999 wrote:I have a deviated septum and some other problems that make nose breathing difficult at night. Is it worth the trouble to get my nose fixed to make my basic breathing better?
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I would encourage you to talk to a (really good) ENT/plastic surgeon about it. I had a similar problem that made it hard for me to breathe through my nose. I used breathe right strips at night, but it only helped marginally. My septum was crooked from facial paralysis, so I had the surgery that not only fixed the septum, but sort of put an internal breathe right strip inside my face -- I know, I don't get it either, but that's the way the doc described it! I am very pleased I had the surgery.

Obviously, you need to discuss this with your trusted health professionals, but if you want encouragement to do that, I'm raising my hand!

Blessings,

Kate

On Waking by John O'Donohue
I give thanks for arriving/ Safely in a new dawn/ for the gift of eyes/ To see the world/ The gift of mind/ To feel at home/ In my life...

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu May 16, 2013 8:27 pm

I had nasal surgery for deviated septum and polyp removal prior to starting cpap, only because I did not know I needed cpap and because the polyp was making breathing difficult. I have not suffered any gross detrimental effects, but I had a gifted ENT. It was a little rough for the first couple weeks because it felt like a gap the size of an airplane hangar was in my head, but that resolved. I agree with Kate. Find a great ENT and get some education about what the options are. Good luck.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Thu May 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Surgery techniques/proceedures have changed greatly over the years, so what didn't work 20 years ago would have changed by now.

Get a second opinion, do research.

patrick_a

Post by patrick_a » Thu May 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Good point.... and advice.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Fri May 17, 2013 4:22 am

just be aware that many folks have had successful surgery and still have sleep apnea.

More than likely, it is not going to eliminate the need for using the machine and mask every night.

So don't go into it thinking it's going to cure your OSA

just sayin

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

49er

Post by 49er » Fri May 17, 2013 4:53 am

Denial Dave wrote:just be aware that many folks have had successful surgery and still have sleep apnea.

More than likely, it is not going to eliminate the need for using the machine and mask every night.

So don't go into it thinking it's going to cure your OSA

just sayin
Dave,

The OP said he realized that nasal surgery wouldn't cure apnea as an FYI.

49er

terence999

Post by terence999 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks for all the replies. The nose pillow looks so easy to use compared to my full face mask. If I could breath well through my nose maybe I could use one of those nose pillows. I really have had a miserable time getting consistent help and direction from my doctor. He is a top sleep doctor but probably suffers from ADHD. I find coordination between the doc, lab and provider awful. The so-called system breaks down at every step. I found out how to deal with the VA by going online. I guess my I will have to use the net for my OSA real help.

Terence999