Finally!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
slickwil

Finally!!

Post by slickwil » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm

I finally got a call from my sleep center to come and get my machine this Friday. Does anybody have any suggestions on what
questions I should ask them? I had my sleep test a couple of months ago and have been waiting since then to get this started. I was told my ahi was 68.2. I am really hoping the cpap helps me.

Thanks

jencat824

Re: Finally!!

Post by jencat824 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Here is a link to some great info:

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/what-y ... me-part-i/

Also a link about selecting your machine:

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/

Good luck & let us know how it goes.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

slickwil

Post by slickwil » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 pm

I was thinking they already have selected a machine for me since they told me how much my part of the payment is. Do I get to select what machine I want?

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 pm

slickwil wrote: Do I get to select what machine I want?

Are you a man or a sheep?

If you are a man, start reading the links provided and asking questions.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Seconded. Read the links, and you will know what your rights are.
Let them push you around, but understand they would push you into traffic if it meant more money for them.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Hello Fellow Okie. Welcome. Who is your DME?

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:44 pm

They likely have a particular machine that is standard issue for their business. Sometimes this will be a quality machine that reports the treatment data that I believe should be available to every patient without exception, but too often the machines only report hours of use. Call the provider and ask them the exact and full name of the machine they are dispensing then check it out on prior mentioned link. If it turns out to be an issue then get some more suggestions here. Even if they say it is a particular model, be sure what you have been told is what you actually get.

slickwil

Post by slickwil » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:56 pm

[quote="Stormynights"]Hello Fellow Okie. Welcome. Who is your DME?[/quote
Hello back.
I do not know. I guess I will find out Friday

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:36 pm

I'd suggest that you do a little reading and find out what machines people are using and why...it is very important to get full sleep data so that you can improve your therapy and find problems and then their solutions *smile*. Being prepared when they lay on you what they think that they're giving you is a good thing, waiting just delays the inevitable confrontation (if they try to get you to take a machine with just compliance information, or just partial sleep data).

Anyways, I'd recommend that you be informed and stay strong about not accepting what isn't going to provide you with acceptable therapy. Using the right machine for you (not that there's only one good one out there, it's that there's a bunch of not-so-good ones) is really important.

I don't have a bad story there personally, I was supplied with a ResMed S9 AutoSet, which pretty nice in terms of capabilities and the sleep data that it gives you. But I've read plenty of postings by people who have come home with a ResMed S9 Escape, or similar machine that doesn't give you full sleep data.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:43 pm

slickwil wrote:
Stormynights wrote:Hello Fellow Okie. Welcome. Who is your DME?[/quote
Hello back.
I do not know. I guess I will find out Friday
Read the information in the links before Friday. You will need information before you get there. There are some good ones in Ok. But I am not sure about all of them.

slickwil

Post by slickwil » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks for all the post. I am new to all of this. I will do some studying.

KenH

Post by KenH » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:56 am

Welcome almost HoseHead. I am just across the stateline ( where the air is clear,and smells like Hogs). When I went to get my machine they set one down and said here it is. I told them what I wanted and they changed it. If you study up and figure out what you want they usually will give it to you. They just assume you dont have a clue and give whatever they can make the best deal for them is.

steeve

Post by steeve » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:56 am

Welcome slickwil, and here's hoping your experience-treatment comes off without a hitch; but that would definitely be the exception not the rule.
As others have said you need to continue reading here, you will gain more knowledge than you ever will from those 15 mins. with your DME or sleep Dr. 15 MINUTES???? Who am I kidding?
Being new to this, you have lots of questions, worries - Plus you can't even speak the language, at least that is how I was and still am to a huge degree. Information is Power!
From my personal experience when I went in to get my equipment I was unprepared. I would suggest writing down your questions, they will have things they're telling you and while you are still trying to remember what that code stands for that he just rattled off He's gone on to something else. As I say, that was me. I thought I knew what machine I should get and thinking they would pawn off on me some inferior machine. So surprised and happy when they removed that shiny new resmed from the box. Wow, Yeah I didn't write down the model #'s of the ones I wanted. Now what???? Oh yeah, Does this machine collect data? OH Yes
So I get home and look up what data a ResMed escape machine collects. It will keep record of how many nights use and how many hours. Very useful to the insurance Co. but you will want much more data than that Plus I think you will know if you are using the machine or not. It being Fri. evening I had to wait til Mon. morning to exchange machine. Didn't have a problem with that as I didn't use it at all. But my start of treatment was held up 3 days.
As one suggested I would contact my sleep center and get the name and # of the DME, give them a call and be polite but insistent on the equipment you are getting. After all it is your money. If they don't like what the insurance pays they should take that up with them not you.
It's very easy to see what machines everyone on this site prefers,, just look at their equip. listed on every post.
As I'm sure you have already learned this is a good bunch of people, willing to share what they have learned thru trial and error mostly. The ones with letters after their name are few, and some of the info. will be worth exactly what you are paying for it. But some of it is priceless!!! Read and apply common sense.
Again Welcome Steve

John from Brookston

Post by John from Brookston » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:30 am

I lucked out, they handed me a Respironics System One model 760 with heated tube humidifier. Pretty much top shelf, I think... It puts full info on the SD card, and hopefully some day I'll be able to figure out what all that data means.

Oh- Make sure they use a measuring template on you when they fit you for a mask, the RT who "fitted" me relied on his practiced eye and I got a large mask when what I needed was a medium. Made a whole world of difference in the leak department.

Big fat guy who's diabetic, on HRT, and now a heart attack survivor as well as having OSA (boy, I sure won the genetic rodeo, din't I?). Ham Radio operator and I have a black tomcat named "Bart" who looks like an old prize fighter.

ughwhatname

Post by ughwhatname » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:38 am

slickwil wrote:I finally got a call from my sleep center to come and get my machine this Friday. Does anybody have any suggestions on what
questions I should ask them? I had my sleep test a couple of months ago and have been waiting since then to get this started. I was told my ahi was 68.2. I am really hoping the cpap helps me.

Thanks
My prescription detailed what machine. What does yours say? If it doesn't specify, you'll need to negotiate/stand your ground on getting what you need.