Any "oldies" ever revisit your "newbie" posts?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kteague

Any "oldies" ever revisit your "newbie" posts?

Post by kteague » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:19 am

I did - just for the fun of it. Actually I was wondering how many elementary questions I asked, how long I kept taking my mask off in my sleep, how long it took me to have a degree of success, and just how much I might have tried people's nerves. and

Yes, I did ask for explanations about my AHI, and if hypopneas matter. What surprised me was it took a very long time (year+) to keep my mask on at night. And I got on my OWN nerves! lol The sweet part was reading of the first time I experienced real sleep - that was long after starting CPAP and must have been a period when my legs were calmer. But how nice to be reminded of how GOOD my first deep sleep was. Felt better than any drug possibly could. Probably had been well over 20 years that I'd felt always on the verge of being awake, even when asleep. Even though the first time lasted only a couple hours, it gave me hope and made everything I'd been through seeking sleep worthwhile.

Just walking down memory lane smiling at the faces of old friends here and feeling especially grateful for the patience I received here as a lost and desperate newbie. May I never be so far removed that I forget how hard it once was, or be impatient with other lost and desperate souls just starting their journey. Now to go enjoy a bit of that hard earned good sleep.

Sheriff Buford

Re: Any "oldies" ever revisit your "newbie" posts?

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:45 am

I have looked back... I have done the same as you did. I can remember the struggles. I am really grateful for the help I received. Cpap is a long journey, its a personal battle. Thanks to this forum... I won!

Sheriff

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:40 pm

I've got nowhere near your longevity, kteague, but looking back at some of my posts from about ten months ago, I find that I was fairly uninformed but willing to learn. I didn't stand for a lot of what I then considered BS, however now I'm a little more mellow, allowing for some give and take. I now also know what some folks 'hot buttons' are and therefore try to not polarize conversations by using those expressions.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

swtsassy65

Post by swtsassy65 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:05 pm

I have looked back and WOW.
The what I know now compared to what i knew then. Big difference.

I know I have come along way.
I tribute that to this form and all the people who I have met along the way and to all the help and advice they gave.

I am still around "learning" as I also read the "newbie" posts. You never know what can help or trigger a flashback of Oh Yeah I did that or can try that again.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:48 pm

K, what a nice idea, I've never done it but will do so later tonight. I don't know if it will make me laugh or cry!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:09 pm

I did this quite some time ago. I found one thread I had started that was so stupid that no one had ever responded to it. So I quietly deleted that post.

Might be fun to check again. I should update my eyemask thread.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Since I worked out many problems in the months I was lurking, I did not actually introduce myself.
Instead, I slipped into ongoing conversations. You guys made me feel so welcome, in spite of my rudeness.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:34 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Since I worked out many problems in the months I was lurking, I did not actually introduce myself.
Instead, I slipped into ongoing conversations. You guys made me feel so welcome, in spite of my rudeness.
I always had you pictured as a lurker....

Sheriff

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:13 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Since I worked out many problems in the months I was lurking, I did not actually introduce myself.
You rude??? Funny, yes! So now I have to go back and look for myself!!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:25 am

Rude to not formally introduce myself;
and just walk into the party as if I had only stepped out moments before.

DaveL

Post by DaveL » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:49 pm

Good exercise.
I find that sometimes things go bad. But they happen slowly. It's hard to figure out what is really bad in my treatment...maybe my "old" mask isn't old enough to show wear...
My sleep doc doesn't care, as long as I wear the gear.
DaveL

kteague wrote:I did - just for the fun of it. Actually I was wondering how many elementary questions I asked, how long I kept taking my mask off in my sleep, how long it took me to have a degree of success, and just how much I might have tried people's nerves. and

Yes, I did ask for explanations about my AHI, and if hypopneas matter. What surprised me was it took a very long time (year+) to keep my mask on at night. And I got on my OWN nerves! lol The sweet part was reading of the first time I experienced real sleep - that was long after starting CPAP and must have been a period when my legs were calmer. But how nice to be reminded of how GOOD my first deep sleep was. Felt better than any drug possibly could. Probably had been well over 20 years that I'd felt always on the verge of being awake, even when asleep. Even though the first time lasted only a couple hours, it gave me hope and made everything I'd been through seeking sleep worthwhile.

Just walking down memory lane smiling at the faces of old friends here and feeling especially grateful for the patience I received here as a lost and desperate newbie. May I never be so far removed that I forget how hard it once was, or be impatient with other lost and desperate souls just starting their journey. Now to go enjoy a bit of that hard earned good sleep.

Regards,
DaveL Toronto

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:35 pm

I haven't but should!! I still have a lot of knowledge that I don't know. The technical stuff is still often times over my head (shhhh -- don't tell hubby I admitted I don't know everything as he so often times says that I claim I do).

I know without this site I would have been so lost and would probably have given up. So very glad I found it early in to have the support and guidance that I needed to get from point a to point b.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm

I just started going back to 2008 and glad I did because I was able to review some answers to my original questions about humidity,. EPR, cpap vs apap, which I still wonder about. It also reminded me of the kindness and patience of the folks here who really took me under their wing. Their guidance made all the difference between success and failure for us as I remember how convinced I was that I'd never be able to overcome all the obstacles involved in my particular situation. I really feel this forum is like a family with some relatives I'm glad I only see at weddings and funerals! Thanks again, kteague!

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:44 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Rude to not formally introduce myself;
and just walk into the party as if I had only stepped out moments before.
Don't be so hard on yourself Froggie -- after all, it's not easy being green.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:12 pm

Looking back....to never forget where we came from,
what we were when we got here,
and how we got where we are today.....
Looking back at the past few months,
these words have never been more clear.

viewtopic/p800463/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46208&p=414612&
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.