braces and invisalign

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
justacpapuser

braces and invisalign

Post by justacpapuser » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:45 am

I've recently started giving thought to having the invisaligntreatment.
To those who don't know, it is the same idea as braces (correct teeth alignment) though different mechanism to achieve it.
From what I understand, after finishing the treatment (8-16 months), one has to continuously were them at night.

I just wanted to know whether anybody had any experience with this an CPAP and if there might be any issues.

beautifuldreamer

Re: braces and invisalign

Post by beautifuldreamer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:58 am

I wear Invisalign and have not experienced problems wearing them at night while using the CPAP.
(Only been using CPAP for one month). Once or twice I forgot to wear the Invisalign and there was not a noticeable difference.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

justacpapuser

Post by justacpapuser » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35 am

beautifuldreamer wrote:I wear Invisalign and have not experienced problems wearing them at night while using the CPAP.
(Only been using CPAP for one month). Once or twice I forgot to wear the Invisalign and there was not a noticeable difference.
Thanks. I was fairly certain there wouldn't be a difference but just wanted to verify before spending big bucks on it.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:56 pm

justacpapuser wrote: Thanks. I was fairly certain there wouldn't be a difference but just wanted to verify before spending big bucks on it.
Hi,

Thanks for asking that question. I hit the pavement when riding bicycle last summer, and am going to need to get braces to fix the mess that I created. I was curious about how it would affect CPAP.

-john-

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:13 am

My mask is causing my lower teeth to shift and sucks in my cheeks so my teeth dig into my inner lips. I was thinking that Invisaligns might stabilize my teeth and provide a more rounded surface for my teeth so that they don't cut into my inner lips.

My daughter's orthodontist is really wanting to "do" my mouth, but we can't afford me too (daughter's mouth is the million dollar mouth!). But if I could have one set of invisalign just for stabilization it might really help. I might ask.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:40 am

I have worn an invisalign=like mouth guard on my lower teeth for over eight years, only the last year and a half on CPAP without any problems. The guard was made to prevent chipped teeth (bruxism d/t OSA), but I can see that it would stabilize any shifting of teeth for much less ($600) than the full invisalign braces.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 am

I am seeing the orthodonist tomorrow. For quite a while I wore the FitLife Total Face Mask without problems, but before this six month dental check up I noted my bottom teeth/jaw had been pushed about 1/4 inch. There is a gap between my bottom teeth and my top teeth that had not been there before. My bottom teeth (in the front) have crowded together so badly I can feel the pressure. The mask is very heavy and had started creeping up into my mouth. I know that's what caused the damage. My profile has changed, too. My partner says I now have a slightly recessed chin.. Some type of mouth guard would have probably prevented this "smashed face syndrome. Also if I had been smarter I would have changed masks when it started to fit poorly.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:15 am

Janknitz, I saw the dentist yesterday and he recommended an Invisilign retainer to be sure my teetyh didn't shift anymore. He looked at my quattro ffm and thought it was too light to cause any more shifting of my bottom teeth. The alternative is to go full out with braces and pulling one tooth to make room. Since my bite is good I asked for the retainer. I wouldn't sacrifice the health of my teeth because of expense, but my partner and I live very simply trying to pay off the house so she can retire. Also I cannot bear to have a perfectly good tooth pulled. The thought of getting a tooth pulled scares me.
Mary