I need to change masks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nwyant

I need to change masks

Post by nwyant » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:40 am

I really don't like these nasal pillows. My nose is sore this morning and I'm not sure I'm getting a good seal most of the time. I need one that covers my nose, so I will be calling the doctor on Monday morning to get a soft Sleepweaver mask.

Pugsy

Re: I need to change masks

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:48 am

While waiting for a different mask...loosen the straps a little on the nasal pillow mask. I know it sounds counter productive but these masks shouldn't cause pain and the most common reason for pain is people tend to tighten the straps too much.
Also try a different size of nasal pillow if you have one...go up or down a size if available.
The pillows have to be fully inflated to seal and often when straps are too tight they can't inflate.

Add some ointment/gel/moisturizer of some sort to your nose to help with soreness. Normally I would suggest Lansinoh lanolin ointment because it works great and won't hurt the nasal pillows but if you don't like the nasal pillows a couple of nights using something else won't be a huge problem. No sense in spending money on something to use for only a couple of nights.

Not all nasal pillow masks are created equal though. If you want to revisit it later...maybe try a different model.
Some are more comfortable than others. It's that way with any mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nwyant

Post by nwyant » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:33 am

I have the medium sized inserts right now but I have a set of small ones. The technician said the small ones were too small, so I haven't gone back to them, but the medium feels too big because they don't seem to want to go in.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 am

Make sure only the little tips of the cones are going into the nostrils...and not the outer rim of the nasal pillows...don't laugh, we have known people trying to shove the whole darn pillow in the nostril.

Try the smaller size. Take it out of the package but don't hook it up to the hose yet. Gently place it against the nostrils...does the nasal pillow rim (fat part below the cone) rest against the nostrils or does it want to get sucked up into the nostril?

Wouldn't be the first time the tech got the sizing wrong.

Gently resting against the nostrils is all that is needed to maintain a good seal.
I have a Go Life...I have not tested it...was saving it to give to someone but I will briefly test it to see if I spot any potential issues or maybe a special trick to make it better.
My first impression....so much headgear available and the more headgear presence there is...then the more potential for too tight or wrong fit.
That's the reason I like my Swift FX so much...minimal headgear so not nearly as much chance to screw up the adjustments.

I will report back in a little while. The GoLife was packaged up to go out to someone who wanted to try it.
I have used the Respironics OptiLife...headgear way to big for my head so never could get a good fit overall.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:03 am

Okay, I briefly tested a GoLife for women with the Petite nasal pillow.
I would hate that plastic part on my face. It's hard and uncomfortable if someone lays on it. Definitely would need a Padacheek fleece cover on it.
The nasal pillows are running really small. The Petite would pretty much totally go into the nostril with inhale of any force...I can wear XSmall in the Swift FX with ease. The whole pillow is smaller with the GoLife. The rim portion is way smaller.
Headgear fit...the side strap was maxed to velcro position where I couldn't tighten it anymore to give a good halfway secure seal.
My head isn't all that tiny.
I could see where some people might have good luck with this mask BUT I can sure see where there would be lots of potential problems.

So my opinion of this mask...please don't judge all the nasal pillow masks on this mask. It's not easy to adjust and the headgear is going to potentially be too large for a woman . Nasal pillows are very small compared to the sizing of other nasal pillows and not nearly as forgiving. The least little movement or too much tension is going to result with the whole nasal pillow entering the nostril and that will cause a lot of pain.
Not what I would recommend for a newbie...not very forgiving if the sizing and fit is not really optimal. Get it just perfect and it likely would do well but most newbies won't have a clue what optimal fit would be.
A better choice for a newbie would be the Aloha or Swift FX in my opinion.

The hard plastic part that rests on the cheeks...definitely need some good fleece covers like from Padacheeks.

Venting is very quiet though...

nwyant

Post by nwyant » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 pm

The plastic on my face all night is uncomfortable. I am going to see about the small nasal pillows. I have both sets. I think I have the top of the headgear adjusted right, but its hot as hell. Makes me sweat. I didn't try to stuff the whole think up my nose...LOL, but I just didn't feel like it was sealing. I'm just thinking I'd be more comfortable with the full nasal mask...either the soft SleepWeaver or even a hard plastic mask (which I really don't want)....

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Try the SleepWeaver since it interests you.
If no success...consider a different nasal pillow mask. I have tried a whole bunch of them and that hard plastic would be a deal breaker for me for sure. I have tried enough nasal pillow masks to know that there are a whole lot more nasal pillow masks out there that don't have that potential issue and are a whole lot more comfortable.
The Go Life would go on the very bottom of my list...I know some people do well with them but please don't judge all nasal pillow masks by this one.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:20 pm

I just bought ResMed Soft Gel nasal mask. It's convertable and comes with an Activa LT cushion. It's a great mask, very comfortable and I have very little problem with leaks and no sore places in the morning. I alternate with my Quattro FX FFM when my nose is stopped up.
Good luck,
Mary