Sleeping with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mjohn

Sleeping with CPAP

Post by mjohn » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:41 pm

I feel like it takes forever for the night to pass. I will wake up thinking it is 6:00AM and it is only 2:00 AM. I don't object to the mask or airflow. I don't beleive I am entering a level of deep sleep at all. Another problem is the mask rises above my mouth during sleep.

LSAT

Re: Sleeping with CPAP

Post by LSAT » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm

You may have the wrong size mask. Please register and post your equipment.

Otter

Post by Otter » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:57 pm

mjohn wrote:I feel like it takes forever for the night to pass. I will wake up thinking it is 6:00AM and it is only 2:00 AM. I don't object to the mask or airflow. I don't beleive I am entering a level of deep sleep at all. Another problem is the mask rises above my mouth during sleep.
How long have you been on CPAP? It takes some people a while to get used to having something on their face. What is your leak line like? It's possible your mask starts to leak every time you relax, and that bumps you back into a shallower state of sleep.

Does it take long to get to sleep? If you sleep four hours and wake up thinking you've slept eight, that may be because you're getting actual rest instead of fighting for breath all night.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:07 pm

I always get the same feeling when I wake up as well. I thought I made it through the night and its wakey wakey time. Then I look at the screen and I've only been asleep for 1 or 2 hours

tye

Post by tye » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Stick with it. I have been on cpap for about a month. It takes some getting used to. It you feel your mask is not fitting properly call your DME ASAP. Let us know how you are doing

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 pm

You want to correct an improper mask size or fit ASAP. I know it sounds simplistic, but review sleep hygiene. If you're not getting into REM and the deep stages of sleep your body does not repair the damages from the day.
Good luck,
Mary