How often does ResMed update machines?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fredr500

How often does ResMed update machines?

Post by fredr500 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:01 am

I'm about to get my titration results and hopefully cpap machine. I'm sold on the ResMed S9 auto set but it appears to have been in production for a while.

How often do they release new models? When do we expect the S10? I know there is a site that tracks Apple releases and recommends buy now, buy only if you have to, and don't buy for each product they sell. I'm sure there is nothing similar for cpap devices, but maybe someone has a guess?

I know I will be living with whatever I get for several years. Might as well start with the newest device since it will be an antique by the time I replace it.

archangle

Re: How often does ResMed update machines?

Post by archangle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:08 am

The way big business designs equipment these days, you don't want a brand new design unless there's some great new feature. Wait for version 1.1 or some such to get the bugs out.

I think it's unlikely that the hypothetical S10 will be a big improvement over the S9 like the S9 was over the S8. There's just not a lot of quantum leaps to be made in CPAP.

I haven't heard any rumors, and I don't think they'd really keep things under wraps that well. There would probably be a long wait between announcement and availability, too.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

xyz

Post by xyz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:16 pm

> you don't want a brand new design unless there's some great new feature.
> Wait for version 1.1

That's certainly true for computer software.

But if you use that rule for computer hardware, you'll never buy _anything_. Becaue there is _always_ something better coming out in the future.

What to do? When something new comes out, wait for the reviews. Let reviews and user forums (like this one) guide you.

> There's just not a lot of quantum leaps to be made in CPAP.

Cellphones and PAP products are approxximately the same age (within two years). Think how cellphones have evolved, especially recently.

Good developers come up with products with new features that most customers _never thought of_ before.

Which is why I disagree with your hypothesis.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:25 pm

fredr500 wrote:I'm about to get my titration results and hopefully cpap machine. I'm sold on the ResMed S9 auto set but it appears to have been in production for a while.

How often do they release new models? When do we expect the S10? I know there is a site that tracks Apple releases and recommends buy now, buy only if you have to, and don't buy for each product they sell. I'm sure there is nothing similar for cpap devices, but maybe someone has a guess?

I know I will be living with whatever I get for several years. Might as well start with the newest device since it will be an antique by the time I replace it.
You could always buy other, newer ones one out-of-pocket (like many of the rest of us). You're going to definitely WANT to have a backup machine for unforeseen situations when they arise.

What makes you think that the "latest & greatest" models will be more desirable or "better" than any previous models?

Den

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:10 pm

xyz wrote:> you don't want a brand new design unless there's some great new feature.
> Wait for version 1.1

That's certainly true for computer software.

But if you use that rule for computer hardware, you'll never buy _anything_. Becaue there is _always_ something better coming out in the future.
No, there's plenty of computer hardware that is in what I'd consider version 1.1 or even version 1.4 or higher.

However, version 1.0 after it's been out in quantity for several months and found reasonably bug free is OK.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

greg-g

Post by greg-g » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:06 pm

The Resmed S8 was out for about 5 years and I think it may have been the same for the S7.
The S9 is just about up to year 3 so I'd give it another 2 years.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:27 pm

The Resmed S8s came out in 2006 in the USA. The S8 IIs came out in 2008. The S9s came out in late 2010.

Keep in mind, assuming the USA, that the Medicare cuts (the bidding process going on) is not encouraging for new, innovative PAPs, nor is the manufacturer tax recently enacted. Resmed manufactured their PAPs in Australia, then began outsourcing more and more of their components to other countries - and moved their "headquarters" to the USA several years ago. They learned a few things from the USA's business "climate" and just a year ago or so greatly increased their upper echelon's and Board of Directors' compensation to attract

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Otter

Post by Otter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:32 am

archangle wrote:The way big business designs equipment these days, you don't want a brand new design unless there's some great new feature. Wait for version 1.1 or some such to get the bugs out.
I agree. And since ResMed's firmware tends to be buggy and they refuse to distribute upgrades, you don't want the first version on the software side either.

Also, there is no guarantee that the S10 will actually be better for your purposes. The S9 did introduce some very good features the S8 didn't have, but with the S9 we also went from being able to see the leak rate in real time to seeing only Mr Smile and Mr Frown. If the S10 doesn't not introduce any significant improvements, it's really a crap shoot whether or not the ergonomics will be superior to the S9. ResMed doesn't seem to be paying much attention to end users, and who knows what they'll decide is best for us.