Is there a mask that allows the wearer to read in bed?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nwyant

Is there a mask that allows the wearer to read in bed?

Post by nwyant » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Can anyone recommend a nasal mask that will allow me to read in bed before I go to sleep. I was thinking of the sleepweaver Elan or Advanced. I've just been diagnosed and am now waiting to get my prescription. Are the masks universal...fitting any machine or do they have to be matched up with certain machines?
Machine Remstar Pro C-flex+
Mask P-S-M GoLife Women nasal pillow
Humidifier Heated system one 60 series

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Is there a mask that allows the wearer to read in bed?

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:32 pm

The best glasses-friendly mask for me is Swift nasal pillows.
My elan is great for sleeping, but the tiny puffs of air into my eyes makes me want to keep them closed.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Masks are pretty much universal now. There used to be a high end specialty machine that had some mask limitations but even the newer models of that machine don't have any restrictions.
You can use whatever mask you want.

Also there are a number of masks that allow for reading in bed, watching TV or even wearing glasses. It all depends on where the mask fits on the nose or where the mask or cushion might rest on the nose....like blocking line of sight.
The cloth mask like the various SleepWeaver models...it all depends on if the inflation of the mask happens to block line of sight.
I have never used one. I did try one of the earlier models briefly but didn't care for it but it would have inflated and blocked my line of sight for sure..it almost did with no inflation.
We have several members here using the newer models and they can tell you if they can read easily while using it.

The mask that I use is a nasal pillow mask. I can easily read with it. Even where my glasses if I wanted to. There's not much to it either with the Loops or the traditional head gear.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:55 pm

A lot depends on where you route your hose - I could have with the Wisp except I routed my hose up between my eyes.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:38 pm

I use Swift FX nasal pillows and can read with my headgear on if I want to. However I generally avoid doing that because once a person has gotten into bed, the first rule of general sleep hygiene is: 'You are there to sleep'. None-the-less, you are a free individual and if reading in bed helps you get to sleep then by all means continue to give it a try.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:22 pm

You didn't mention whether you wear glasses or not. Obviously, what works for us glasses wearers should work even better if you don't wear glasses.

I can wear my ComfortGel Blue nasal mask over my glasses, but there's some interference. Depending on your glasses or face shape and size, it might or might not work for you. I bought some single vision reading glasses for use while reading/computing/TV watching while masked because it's a pain to get the right head angle with the CPAP mask on. I also bought frames with smaller lenses to fit better. You can get glasses really cheap online at zenni optical.

My Swift FX nasal pillow mask is really easy to use with glasses.

Most of the full face masks I've tried don't really work with glasses.

Many masks obscure part of your visual field. You might find you have to hold the book up or tilt your head at an uncomfortable angle to be able to see over the mask.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

tomjax

Post by tomjax » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:43 pm

I use a breeze and cannot imagine ever using anything else.

I can read in bed with my glasses and talk on the phone.
I can drink water with no problem with mask on.
not everyone can adapt and adjust the breeze though.

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:35 pm

I read in bed for an hour or two each night. After much trial and error I've settled on the aloha nasal pillow mask. The swift fx is almost as good but fussier to adjust.

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:49 pm

If you're a full face user you might look at the Hybrid or Resmed's Liberty.

Randy

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:14 pm

If you want a nasal mask, and not pillows, etc., there is the Vista, and the new PR Wisp. http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirag ... c=patients

Neither have the center support brace and are ideal for wearing glasses before bed.

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 am

Randyp1234 wrote:If you're a full face user you might look at the Hybrid or Resmed's Liberty.

Randy
+1

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

MidnightOwl

Post by MidnightOwl » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 pm

I mostly use the Fisher and Paykel HC 407 nasal mask supplemented now and then by their HC 431 full face mask. I read every night wearing one or the other. Both have a center support but I found it doesn't interfere with reading. You could not easily wear glasses with either one. When I started using CPAP I found that I could read without glasses. My glasses last much longer now that I am never falling asleep with them on.

n0hardmask

Post by n0hardmask » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:45 am

MidnightOwl wrote:I mostly use the Fisher and Paykel HC 407 nasal mask supplemented now and then by their HC 431 full face mask. I read every night wearing one or the other. Both have a center support but I found it doesn't interfere with reading. You could not easily wear glasses with either one. When I started using CPAP I found that I could read without glasses. My glasses last much longer now that I am never falling asleep with them on.
Love that last comment! I've tried the ComfortLite2; it will go on over the glasses, but I didn't find the CL2 easy to sleep with.. It's my nap mask now. I'm only recently using the FitLife FFM, and actually tried to put on my glasses, then the ffm; I got it on, but was concerned that if I fell asleep, I might damage the glasses, since they did pinch a bit. I don't wear the itsy-bitty glasses.. guess if I got a single vision pair for TV/video watching, I could choose a smaller frame. Maybe someone else will chime in on the FitLife and if it works for them with glasses. I hate not being able to see clearly when getting up briefly.

Don't know what I did to hide the Equipment?! new SleepWeaver Anew-NOT hard!, Quattro ffm, S9 VPAP ADAPT. Sobakawa bead pillow
Sleepyhead, Rescan4; ZEO Bedside -not used
Serenity
Newbies:Log in; then please input your equipment 2 your profile.