New hose head here

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Viperdave

New hose head here

Post by Viperdave » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:21 am

So i have been lurking in the dark here as I anxiously awaited my new machine.

27 year old male here. overweight (blah blah blah). until VERY recently, I had lacked any daytime drowsiness, and even recently it was only when sitting at my windowless cube, bored out of my mind that i had problems. but i snore diesel truck pulling a trailer up a hill with 2 pistons hanging out of the block... Anyway, decided to fix my problem before i ended up in A-fib like my dad.

so i went and had my split night sleep study, 120 AHI... longest episode was 53 seconds, oxygen level down to 45%... NOT GOOD. they were surprised i was functioning as well as i was/am. but the sleep study was done on my back which makes my OSA 10x worse.

but anyway, last night was my first night on my machine. 7.4 AHI, woke up several times to fix leaks/ makes adjustments, which i am sure i will get used to and get the mask fitted to me better over the next week.

so thats my story. feeling pretty good this morning, will see how the day goes.

Dave

Mary Z

Re: New hose head here

Post by Mary Z » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:29 am

Dave, welcome to the forum. You got a good machine.
Sometimes it takes a couple of months to feel better, sometimes it happens overnight. You're off to a good start. Keep us posted on your progress.
Mary

Bons

Post by Bons » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:31 am

Welcome. And wow! That's some oxygen dsat. Good thing you got that sleep study done.

Sounds like you had a pretty good first night. With some tweaking and adjustments you should be able to get your AHI lower; often the first couple of nights are higher than 5 due to tossing and turning or being awake with the mask on triggering false events, or leaks, and stuff like that.

Viperdave

Post by Viperdave » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:37 am

i should say, even though i woke up several times in the night, for the first time in probably 2 years, i didnt need to go to the bathroom.... consider that a success right away. I also was half conscious of the dog all night, he is a well trained german shepherd, but everytime he walked to that side of the bed, i was making sure he didnt feel the need to investigate the new toy i got.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:20 am

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you are doing great so far. As for the dog, he hopefully will just sniff & investigate the foreign object then leave it alone. If he starts to chew, then you have a problem & for that I'd suggest Tobsico Sauce (prob spelled that wrong), that makes animals leave anything alone.

As questions arise, just post here. I found this forum last Oct, but have been on CPAP 13 yrs. I've learned more since finding this forum than I've learned in all the the previous years combined. There are some great folks here ready & willing to help with any problems you may have.

Again, welcome,
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Viperdave

Post by Viperdave » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 am

thanks guys,

I am actually very familiar with the equipment and what to expect, most of my male relatives are users, my dad since early 90s. and my uncle works for the DME...

and the dog is good with the machine, although he gave me strange looks when the mask leaks...

As a midday update, been at work for 4 hours now, and feel GREAT. haven't had to get up and walk around, and havent opened the snack drawer. although i am craving a peanut butter cup, but that is because i am fat, not because i need something to keep me up.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:21 am

Last edited by cosmo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SusieG

Post by SusieG » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:57 am

It sounds like you are off the a great start! I am another of the lucky ones who took to being a hose head fairly well although the tweaking and adjusting is still ongoing. Some nights I have no problems and others, like last night, I am bothered by leaks but even with those nights I know that I am getting so much healthier with CPAP.
Any questions or issues that you have can usually be helped here by the great people on this forum.
My cat would not come near me for a week after she saw me with the mask on!

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:15 pm

jencat824 wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you are doing great so far. As for the dog, he hopefully will just sniff & investigate the foreign object then leave it alone. If he starts to chew, then you have a problem & for that I'd suggest Tobsico Sauce (prob spelled that wrong), that makes animals leave anything alone.

As questions arise, just post here. I found this forum last Oct, but have been on CPAP 13 yrs. I've learned more since finding this forum than I've learned in all the the previous years combined. There are some great folks here ready & willing to help with any problems you may have.

Again, welcome,
Jen
Jen: My dog Molly, has been eyeballing my mask also. Where would I put the Tobasco sauce? She thinks she rules the house, and she does, but that's not the point....

Sheriff

domedog316

Post by domedog316 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Great news Man! You are in the right place I cannot tell you the wisdom I've gleaned reading the posts on this forum. I don't post a lot, but I read daily! Keep it up!