OT: STOP this Thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
VikingGnome

OT: STOP this Thread

Post by VikingGnome » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Our STUPID legislature passed a bill today that would allow teachers (any level) to wear a concealed weapon AT SCHOOL in case a madman like the one in Connecticut invades and endangers the students. The teachers would have to be "certified" but nobody would know who is packing heat and who isn't. Just the thought of a kid's kindergarten teacher having a gun who puts it in a drawer for a short break and another kid finds it. Yikes! Or more likely in inner city high schools, a bunch of thug students jumping a teacher to get his/her gun.

Will we have doctors and nurses carrying guns soon? Our VA hospital had a patient come with a shotgun and killed his doctor and then himself. Reminds of the movie "John Q". A father takes an entire hospital ER hostage because they won't do a heart transplant on his dying son.

Last edited by VikingGnome on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Slartybartfast

Re: OT: Teachers allowed concealed weapon at school

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:48 pm

So just because the legislature passed a bill that doesn't meet with your personal approval, that makes them "stupid?" Really? Sounds sort of narrow-minded to me.

Mississippi is a "right to carry" and a "shall issue" state which means everyone who isn't a felon or crazy, or a bunch of other things can apply for a permit to carry a concealed firearm. Anywhere but perhaps in Federal buildings and a few other places. In such a state, keeping schools gun-free zones invites nut-cases bent on mass murder to attack them because the perp can expect nobody there will shoot back. It's no coincidence that schools are an attractive target. Arming whoever on the school staff wants to be armed, and making sure they have the proper training, and publicizing that fact sort of removes an attractive target from a potential killer's list.

I don't think that's stupid. But then I think water is wet.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:56 pm

VikingGnome wrote:Our STUPID legislature passed a bill today that would allow teachers (any level) to wear a concealed weapon AT SCHOOL in case a madman like the one in Connecticut invades and endangers the students. The teachers would have to be "certified" but nobody would know who is packing heat and who isn't. Just the thought of a kid's kindergarten teacher having a gun who puts it in a drawer for a short break and another kid finds it. Yikes! Or more likely in inner city high schools, a bunch of thug students jumping a teacher to get his/her gun.

Will we have doctors and nurses carrying guns soon? Our VA hospital had a patient come with a shotgun and killed his doctor and then himself. Reminds of the movie "John Q". A father takes an entire hospital ER hostage because they won't do a heart transplant on his dying son.
Well if you really want to scare yourself (or whoever) start talking about the collapse of the US Dollar. School teachers carrying concealed guns ... meh.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

ems

Post by ems » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:06 pm

My God... what's next?! Next they will allow children to carry guns. Parents will tell their children to just conceal their gun in case a mad man comes into their room. Don't people realize where this is headed???
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
VikingGnome wrote:Our STUPID legislature passed a bill today that would allow teachers (any level) to wear a concealed weapon AT SCHOOL in case a madman like the one in Connecticut invades and endangers the students. The teachers would have to be "certified" but nobody would know who is packing heat and who isn't. Just the thought of a kid's kindergarten teacher having a gun who puts it in a drawer for a short break and another kid finds it. Yikes! Or more likely in inner city high schools, a bunch of thug students jumping a teacher to get his/her gun.

Well if you really want to scare yourself (or whoever) start talking about the collapse of the US Dollar. School teachers carrying concealed guns ... meh.

The Sheeples, cant see whats coming. I would say our government and press have mastered mind control, but the Sheeples minds are so far in the sand they cant be controlled.

We think making laws is the answer, when we would be better off repealing 95% of the ones we have. Congress should have to pay a surcharge to pass any law, out of pocket! The cost should be based on the real costs to the public when put in place, the surcharge should be 200% of the real cost. (To help offset the national debt) When the laws cost exceeds the 100% level it shall be repealed.

Outlawing weapons for self protection only makes for a safer work place for bad people. In a country where people arent accountable for their actions, the idea that a victim may be armed levels the playing field, SOMETIMES! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:04 pm

Goofproof wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:

The Sheeples, cant see whats coming. I would say our government and press have mastered mind control, but the Sheeples minds are so far in the sand they cant be controlled.

We think making laws is the answer, when we would be better off repealing 95% of the ones we have. Congress should have to pay a surcharge to pass any law, out of pocket! The cost should be based on the real costs to the public when put in place, the surcharge should be 200% of the real cost. (To help offset the national debt) When the laws cost exceeds the 100% level it shall be repealed.

Outlawing weapons for self protection only makes for a safer work place for bad people. In a country where people arent accountable for their actions, the idea that a victim may be armed levels the playing field, SOMETIMES! Jim
I was into reading Carl Jung about 25 years ago. Last week I came across the following quote and it pretty much defines the sheeple's content :
The psychologist Carl Jung notes in his observations of collectivism in Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia that most citizens of those nations did not necessarily want the formation of a tyrannical oligarchy, but, they went along with it anyway because they feared for their own comfort and livelihoods. 
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm 100 percent for people being allowed to own and carry guns. (I'm getting one this year and plan on getting a concealed carry permit, although don't know that I'll actually carry it anywhere, but just in case I decide to.) Not sure about the teacher thing yet. I agree with it on one hand, but then can see the real possibility of a student being able to get the gun from the teacher (especially a teacher that's not as adequately trained as he/she should be.)

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm

WearyOne wrote:I'm 100 percent for people being allowed to own and carry guns. (I'm getting one this year and plan on getting a concealed carry permit, although don't know that I'll actually carry it anywhere, but just in case I decide to.) Not sure about the teacher thing yet. I agree with it on one hand, but then can see the real possibility of a student being able to get the gun from the teacher (especially a teacher that's not as adequately trained as he/she should be.)
Adequately trained teachers?

Just funin with y'all ... I'm sure there are many good and well trained teachers out there.

But others ... not so much.

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 pm

Goofproof wrote:Outlawing weapons for self protection only makes for a safer work place for bad people. In a country where people arent accountable for their actions, the idea that a victim may be armed levels the playing field, SOMETIMES! Jim
Nothing was said about OUTLAWING weapons. But there are certain places it just doesn't make sense. Schools where the student to teacher ratio is 35:1 is not a safe place for guns. How many grade school teachers have the time to teach, discipline, and guard 35 kids? What good is a handgun against an AK-47? What would be the carnage if an angry teen is able to disarm an ill-trained teacher and now has a weapon he couldn't bring to school. Teachers need to TEACH. Just bring security officers on staff for protection.

What other settings do you think are "appropriate places" for employees to have concealed weapons besides the obvious (court, law enforcement, security personnel).

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 am

VikingGnome wrote:
Goofproof wrote:Outlawing weapons for self protection only makes for a safer work place for bad people. In a country where people arent accountable for their actions, the idea that a victim may be armed levels the playing field, SOMETIMES! Jim
Nothing was said about OUTLAWING weapons. But there are certain places it just doesn't make sense. Schools where the student to teacher ratio is 35:1 is not a safe place for guns. How many grade school teachers have the time to teach, discipline, and guard 35 kids? What good is a handgun against an AK-47? What would be the carnage if an angry teen is able to disarm an ill-trained teacher and now has a weapon he couldn't bring to school. Teachers need to TEACH. Just bring security officers on staff for protection.

What other settings do you think are "appropriate places" for employees to have concealed weapons besides the obvious (court, law enforcement, security personnel).
Have you not heard the "Camel's Nose under the Tent". First registration, then use the data, to tax or disarm the population. The Sheeple wont even be able to tell you the date we sold out our rights.

Even more scarier the failure of the monetary system, and marital law thes is being prepare d for right now. The government took weapons away from law abiding citizens during the floods in New Orleans, with out reciepts at gunpoint. They didnt take them from law breakers, maybe because they tend to shoot back.

I had a carry permit for 10 years, I no longer do. I dont want records to point to me having guns. So presto they have made me into a criminal, but at least I will be on the winning side. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:47 am

Goofproof wrote: Have you not heard the "Camel's Nose under the Tent". First registration, then use the data, to tax or disarm the population. The Sheeple wont even be able to tell you the date we sold out our rights.

Even more scarier the failure of the monetary system, and marital law thes is being prepare d for right now. The government took weapons away from law abiding citizens during the floods in New Orleans, with out reciepts at gunpoint. They didnt take them from law breakers, maybe because they tend to shoot back.

I had a carry permit for 10 years, I no longer do. I dont want records to point to me having guns. So presto they have made me into a criminal, but at least I will be on the winning side. Jim
The sky is falling. The sky is falling. Don't hijack this thread into a gun control versus right to carry arms. The topic is NOT about that.

Christine L

Post by Christine L » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:46 am

Where I live there are plenty of school teachers carrying concealed weapons into the grocery store, the malls, church, restaurants and who knows where else (school is gun free). There are tiny little ladies packing guns.

Many of these people (including male and female teachers) would be comfortable carrying their concealed weapons into the classroom. None of them that I know would be stupid enough to leave a gun where a student (or anyone else) could potentially touch it.

I don't know of any cases of shootings where the shooter was a person with a concealed weapon permit.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:51 am

VikingGnome wrote: Will we have doctors and nurses carrying guns soon? Our VA hospital had a patient come with a shotgun and killed his doctor and then himself. Reminds of the movie "John Q". A father takes an entire hospital ER hostage because they won't do a heart transplant on his dying son.
Did you check the logic of this paragraph?

Your example supports the position you oppose. It calls for doctors and nurses to arm themselves against any nut cases that may show up with shotguns.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:55 am

Well let's get laws against all guns!

"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:04 am

Maybe I can carry a Taser with me to the DME?