Help with humidifier.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NJDav

Help with humidifier.

Post by NJDav » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:00 am

Hi

My details are wrong, I now have a F& P APAP Icon.

It doesn't seem to make any difference what I set the humidifier to, I always wake with a dry mouth.

Any advice for me from you wise souls.

Cheers

Dav

Mary Z

Re: Help with humidifier.

Post by Mary Z » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:07 am

I'm having the same problem with the Quattro FX. I plan to try the Biotene gel tonight. Biotene is a line of oral care products make for dry mouth. They have toothpaste rinse and gel.
Good luck, it's a hassle and can't be good for our teeth.
Mary

kimbo

Post by kimbo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:21 am

Mary Z wrote:I'm having the same problem with the Quattro FX. I plan to try the Biotene gel tonight. Biotene is a line of oral care products make for dry mouth. They have toothpaste rinse and gel.
Good luck, it's a hassle and can't be good for our teeth.
Mary
My dentist said Biotene is fine for the teeth, it's just far less abrasive then a traditional toothpaste/mouthwash (my teeth don't feel as clean when I use it). Beyond dry mouth treatment it's typically used for people that are allergic to traditional toothpastes. I'm worried about the Quattro FX and dry mouth, was thinking of giving it a try -- but sounds like dry mouth comes with the FFM territory?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:29 am

kimbo wrote:but sounds like dry mouth comes with the FFM territory?
Yes, I guess it can come with the territory.
Full face masks are typically for mouth breathers so the therapy just doesn't go flying out the mouth.
Mouth breathing is the biggest culprit for dry mouth. Of course there are other reasons like maybe taking some sort of medicine that dries the mouth out. If someone is using a full face mask they are probably mouth breathing a lot to start with.
The humidifier does add back some additional moisture in the air but often it is not enough to keep the mouth feeling well hydrated. It does a good job with the nasal cavity but not such a good job with the oral cavity in some people. The oral cavity is simply much larger than the nasal cavity and takes more moisture to fight the dry mouth.
One can always try using a higher setting on the humidifier in hopes to counter act the drying effect but sometimes even the highest setting isn't enough to prevent the dry mouth syndrome.

Some people prefer full face masks and will still use a chin strap to help limit the mouth breathing so that their dry mouth is not so bad. Whatever works is fair game.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

kimbo

Post by kimbo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:33 am

Interesting -- do people tape their mouths with FFM's or does that defeat the purpose?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:52 am

kimbo wrote:Interesting -- do people tape their mouths with FFM's or does that defeat the purpose?
I haven't heard of anyone taping their mouth with a FFM. I have heard of the chin strap usage fairly often though.

Taping with a FFM would seem way drastic to me and surely defeat the purpose and also open up a potential safety issue that I don't think I would want to risk.
Might be hard to quickly remove a FFM and tape in the event of trouble requiring quick opening of the mouth.

I did tape for a couple of months when I started therapy but that was because I didn't want to use a FFM.
That's why we tape...so that we don't have to use a FFM because we just don't want to.

I could see using a chin strap though...gives enough support to maybe stop some of the mouth opening but still allow for easy breathing if the nose doesn't want to cooperate and gets stuffy.
I figure any reduction in mouth breathing would also help reduce potential dry mouth.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 am

I tried the Biotene gell last night and it worked pretty well. At The top of the page there is mention of a new product- Xylimelts Oral Adhering discs- they are available on Amazon and will be in Rire Aid stores in March.
Mary