aerophagia new after 8 months on bipap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jen4700

aerophagia new after 8 months on bipap

Post by jen4700 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:13 am

The last week has been pretty terrible. I've been suffering from aerophagia and didn't even realize it until today.

I started xpap therapy in April 2012. I've been on a bipap the whole time. I already take prilosec for GERD and the head of my bead is raised. I've been doing all the GERD stuff since way before I was diagnosed with OSA.

I've been using the same mask since July. I haven't changed my pressures (12/8) in several months. Why all of a sudden am I having this problem?

If I'm already doing all the "regular" suggestions, what else do you recommend? Do you take Gas-X before you go to bed or when you get up? How many do you take?

Slinky

Re: aerophagia new after 8 months on bipap

Post by Slinky » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Yep, yep. I was started on CPAP October 2005 and switched to bi-level PAP (Resmed VPAP Auto) March 2008. Went thru some pressure changes and fluctuations along w/mask changes, including mask styles. Spring 2010 developed severe gastric sufflation problems: bloating, nausea, burps rolling outta my mouth like firing an AK-47, dry heaving ....

I actually had to STOP using my VPAP for a month, then re-start it at low pressures and re-build up GRADUALLY, plus 2 months of Prevacid and Pepcid AC when needed, raise the head of the bed 4 inches (6 inches had hubby and I scrunched down at the foot of the bed every morning).

Did fine until summer 2012. My 02 was upped to 4L around the clock but 4L w/the VPAP was too too much. BURNING in mouth, throat, esophagus, tummy felt like it had a fire pit built in it. By the time it occurred to me what was going on, backing down to 2L at night didn't help. Had to quit VPAP entirely again. *sigh* 2 months of Prevacid, etc., etc., etc.

My gastro suggested Mylanta or Maalox. It sounded to me like Gavascon better fit my symptoms. If it is mostly lower gas I've seen many recommend Beano.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.