OT - Cubital Tunnel Syndrome

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
retrodave15

OT - Cubital Tunnel Syndrome

Post by retrodave15 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:53 pm

In the process of getting my neck fixed, I had to undergo an EMG, wich also showed I have Cubital Tunnel Syndrome in my elbow. It is aggravated by sleeping with a bent elbow. Has anyone tried one of the night splints or any other therapy to help this out?

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

ughwhatname

Re: OT - Cubital Tunnel Syndrome

Post by ughwhatname » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Years ago,I had to stop sleeping with bent elbows and this is what I did. Take lightly padded elbow pads and wear them backwards, so the padding is in the crook of your elbow. It works really well, is inexpensive, and easily obtained without a prescription.
retrodave15 wrote:In the process of getting my neck fixed, I had to undergo an EMG, wich also showed I have Cubital Tunnel Syndrome in my elbow. It is aggravated by sleeping with a bent elbow. Has anyone tried one of the night splints or any other therapy to help this out?

Last edited by ughwhatname on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Cubital tunnel syndrome is an impingement of the ulnar nerve at the elbow. The pressure on the nerve is increased with elbow flexion. Certified hand therapists (specialized physical and occupation therapists) are trained to treat upper extremity conditions such as cubital tunnel syndrome. Your physician can give you a prescription to see a CHT. You can locate a CHT through this website. http://www.htcc.org/locate/index.cfm

kutastha

Post by kutastha » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:28 pm

retrodave15 wrote:In the process of getting my neck fixed, I had to undergo an EMG, wich also showed I have Cubital Tunnel Syndrome in my elbow. It is aggravated by sleeping with a bent elbow. Has anyone tried one of the night splints or any other therapy to help this out?
Does it bother you?

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 pm

ughwhatname wrote:Years ago,I had to stop sleeping with bent elbows and this is what I did. Take lightly padded elbow pads and wear them backwards, so the padding is in the crook of your elbow. It works really well, is inexpensive, and easily obtained without a prescription.
Wow, what an excellent idea, I will have to remember that!
Before I started PAP therapy, I used to sleep with my hand put up by my head underneath my pillow (I would alternate through the night between left and right hands) and would often wake up with severe pain in my elbows, but I don't know if it was the start of Cubital Tunnel Syndrome or not. Since being on the hose, I sleep on my back almost the whole night (my Sleep Apnea is not positional, current 30 day AHI - 0.2), so I don't pull my hand up like I used to when I would sleep most often on my side.

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:27 pm

I had this due to resting my left arm on a table when I was working on the computer. My left little finger was feeling this odd numb /tingling . I ended up putting a little pillow on the table for my elbow and it went away in a week. But I do have to watch when I am sleeping on my left how I put that arm.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:30 am

When I follow up with the neurosurgeon who did my neck on the 3rd of December; he will be writing me a script for PT on therapy for the neck, I am going to see if he can refer me to someone about my elbow.

I looked at the night splints on ebay, but if I can get the insurance to pay for it I am going to go for it.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Very often the 'cure' for it is a transposition (little relocation a bit sideways from where it is into the natural groove where it's meant to go). It's a quick day surgery thing, small scar, couple of weeks of taking it easy, etc... but your doctor would have to be sure that's the problem, usually with an EMG (electromyography).