New to the CPAP world

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ldgalaxy

New to the CPAP world

Post by ldgalaxy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:35 pm

I have been using my CPAP for about a month now and I am having a pretty good experience with it so far. Some ups and downs over the last few weeks, but I am getting used to the process. The mask (and later added a chin strap) seem pretty comfortable most of the time. And I have gotten used to slightly adjusting the mask during the night to lessen the leaks. My AHI numbers the last few days have been averaging under 2 so I think I am doing OK. (for the month under 5)

My CPAP has the C-Flex+ and I understand that it is a comfort setting to relieve push-back pressure when I exhale. For a week or so I would wake up about 2:30am and it felt like the pressure level had dropped considerably at that time of the night. I would get up (do the restroom thing) and go back and start the ramp and it never seemed to get back to my prescribed pressure of 13cm. I would lay there for an hour or so and I noticed no change.

I decided to disable the C-Flex+ and just use the CPAP during the night for the past five days. I immediately noticed I slept a little longer before waking during the night and I had a much easier time going back to sleep after ramping again. I have set my ramp from 6cm to 13cm for 20mins. 4cm was too low without the C-Flex+ enabled. But I still feel that the pressure drops sometime during the night and it doesn't feel as strong as when I go to bed in the evening. Is this normal behavior for my type of CPAP? (I did create an equipment profile so I hope it shows up on my post)

Sleepyhead is not compatible with S1 Series60 so I haven't been able to look at my graphs and other numbers. I guess I should take my card to my DME and have them check it out to see how I have been doing. I also never received (I should have asked for) my sleep study results and prescription. I'm definitely going to do this next week so I have that info to compare my current progress.

What a great forum and I was pleased to find it and the one thing I have noticed from reading other posts is that I really need to be proactive in my therapy.

Thanks to you all.

Xney

Re: New to the CPAP world

Post by Xney » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:20 pm

You need Encore Basic (I think it's called now) for your machine - then you can view your graphs

You get used to the pressure - that may be what you're experiencing. If you feel better without C-Flex, keep it off! It just means you have a constant pressure rather than it dipping a bit when you breathe out.

C-flex only drops the pressure on breaths. Unless you have an APAP, it won't drop below your prescribed pressure once the ramp finishes. (Excepting the C-Flex drops on each breath)