First time mouth taping and I have questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Maryb

First time mouth taping and I have questions

Post by Maryb » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:13 am

First of all, I am extremely grateful to the people on his message board because it has been really helpful as I have been getting use to my CPAP treatment (nearly one month now!).
I have a breeze (I love it) and I have been having trouble with air escaping from my mouth. I have been using two headbands -- one as a chin strap and the other across my lower lip. (Note, I can't use neoprene chin straps since I am allergic to neoprene.) But I was still having problems with air leaking out my mouth and those headbands are just too hot. So....last night I tried mouth taping! I used the paper surgical tape suggested on this site and at first it was just a relief, it worked so well. But I had two problems with it:
1) I am worried about what long term use is going to do to my skin since it kind of hurts when you pull it off and my skin has gotten more fragile as I get older.
2) More importantly, I woke up maybe 3-4 times with my cheeks all puffed out (but the tape was holding) and I had to blow that air out my nose or swallow it.
I have been trying to train my tongue to fall back and block the entrance to my mouth but this will take time to learn. I see from the boards that another option is some kind of dental appliance (which I could try). Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to deal with this?
once again, thanks for the support of you all.

Maryb

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:52 am

Hi, MaryB
I'm glad the tape is working somewhat. I'm also curious as to why your cheeks are billowing. Does your nose get stuffy at night? I had a major problem with that, then read about 'nasal cleansing' - it really works, and is helping me. I too have your sensitive skin predicament, but try to use that pain as a 'wake-up' device, ha ha. Although my strip is only, say, 3/8" wide, it still hurts due to necessary length - which you can play around w/and adjust. I haven't had any prolonged pain nor signs of having my lips ripped off, even with blonde fuzz on upper lip. Maybe I'm starting to enjoy the pain, who knows? Just kidding...I take it pretty slow when removing. I'm not worried about skin condition anymore, as I've been doing this for a month. You might try using baby oil or something "kind" to help remove the tape. Good luck, and let us know what works for you. Funny, I thought that taping ones mouth shut was an extreme measure, but now that it is necessary and I've tried it, the vision I had of a 4x8 piece of duct tape makes me laugh.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:03 pm

the Johnson & Johnson 1" wide hypoallergenic paper medical tape I use doesn't stick all that well, easy to remove and doesn't leave behind any kind of adhesive residue. I've used it for more than 6 months or longer without any irritation.

as for your tongue, you need to plant your tongue into the hard palate and keep it there as that is what actually maintains the seal. The tape keeps your lips closed and prevents the mandible from dropping.

if you are using any kind of chin strap it needs to only apply pressure vertically and not pull the mandible back. The goal of the tape is to keep the lips together and prevent parting when you hit REM, once the lips part (even as little as 1/8") it allows the mandible to drop where the tongue falls into the back of the throat. Like anything if you want it to become habit you have to do it for 21 days or more.

taping, using straps, still getting mixed results get old over time, at some point you realize a FF mask is the only way to go. While it has its own problems (mainly controlling leaks) it is best for long term use. With a FF mask you learn to position your head on the pillow and route the hose so that it doesn't leak. Once you learn that leaks are not really a problem.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:02 pm

Maryb, I do like offerocker does...remove the tape slowwwwly. That's a little kinder to the skin than trying to rip it off fast.

You mentioned this:
"2) More importantly, I woke up maybe 3-4 times with my cheeks all puffed out (but the tape was holding) and I had to blow that air out my nose or swallow it."

Actually, it's possible to kind of work the cheek-puff air back toward the back of the throat and let it get whisked along by the incoming air or by your exhalation. Either way works.

Hard to describe how to work the puffy air back, but I do it with a suction motion somewhat like you'd use for drinking through a straw. Suck the air out of your cheeks, work it backward with your tongue and let the incoming or outgoing air whisk it away.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:41 pm

Offerocker wrote: Funny, I thought that taping ones mouth shut was an extreme measure, but now that it is necessary and I've tried it, the vision I had of a 4x8 piece of duct tape makes me laugh.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:55 pm

Offerocker wrote: Funny, I thought that taping ones mouth shut was an extreme measure, but now that it is necessary and I've tried it, the vision I had of a 4x8 piece of duct tape makes me laugh.

Darth Vader Look

Post by Darth Vader Look » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:57 pm

Hi Maryb,

I have the exact same problem with the air puffing out my cheeks. That is what wakes me up. Placing the tongue back into position though usually takes care of any air caught in my mouth. I don't see a resolution to this problem though. As we fall asleep our muscles tend to relax including the tongues. If we could stop from removing the tongue from the top of our mouths during sleep then this OSA thing would be cured. There is a post on making your own dental appliance to hold your tongue in place but I wonder how good it really is and how many people use it all the time?

I'm seriously thinking of going back to the UMFF mask and buying an extra cushion to lay on top it like Severeena's husband did. That helped stop the mask leaks according to her. If you do find an answer please post it. I sure a lot of people could benefit from it. .

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:54 pm

Darth Vader Look wrote:There is a post on making your own dental appliance to hold your tongue in place but I wonder how good it really is and how many people use it all the time?
mouth leak solution, cheap DIY oral appliance Topic started by frequenseeker

I've made several "DIY"s and use one occasionally just for a change of pace from tape, or if I want to take a short nap (always using my machine no matter how brief a nap.) Works very well.

I think snork1 uses his DIY most of the time, unless he's trained that unruly tongue by now.

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:17 pm

I reuse the strip of tape several times, which reduces the stickiness and makes it easier on the skin. Before using a new strip of tape, I sometimes place it on my forehead and pull it off a time or two--seriously--to pick up a bit of skin oil and reduce stickiness. I've also noticed differences between rolls. Some are just right at the beginning (i.e., will stick, but not too much), and others are too sticky. Getting it right is an art.

BTW, I use 3M Micropore surgical tape, 2" wide.

inacpapfog

Post by inacpapfog » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:09 pm

I have been taping for about a year and a half now, and I have not had any skin problems with the process. (I use 2" Durapore w/ folded end tabs.)
I have tried the DIY mouthpiece with some success. I also have the Nose Breathe Mouthpiece that works for me , except my teeth feel "sore" after 2-3 nights. Taping has been consistantly reliable, for me!
Now, as for the cheek puffs......the solution for me is the Deluxe Chin Strap. Once on, this strap keeps the cheeks from bellowing out with air. Certainly, I can keep a tongue seal on this escaping air up to a point. But, I guess after awhile, I just relax into a deep sleep and the tongue falls down on its job! (Pardon the pun!) (Don't forget the added benefit of sleeping with such a chin strap! Helps delay "Turkey Neck"!!!)
I have also learned that there is an ideal body/head position for me to fall asleep in that seems to keep the cpap air channeling in the desired direction! (I found this in one of frequentseekers threads, I think)

DaveMunson

Post by DaveMunson » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:48 am

I have tried many different types of duct tape. I still like it for the low cost & it works for me.

Two different blue low stick tapes. The multi colored medium tape. A few different types of high stick tapes.

Maryb

the taping saga continues

Post by Maryb » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:48 am

thanks to all for their suggestions and ideas.
I think I'll stick with the surgical tape. It works for me and duct tape sounds like it would really hurt when you pull it off.
I now have logged 3 nights with the tape. I was using 2 inch wide tape and then tried cutting it in half and also taping lip corners. So I am twiddling to find the right tape size right now. I deal with the cheek billowing problem using RG's suggestions of just siphoning the air to the back of my throat and the cheek billowing seemed less of a problem on nights 2 and 3. Actually last night I had a little leak in the tape that allowed me to vent the billowing cheeks but wasn't enough to permit air from pouring out of mouth. But my chances of hitting that combination again are probably nil!
Anyway, it's just fiddle, fiddle, fiddle until I hit it right.
thanks again all!
Maryb

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:25 pm

..'way to go, MaryB........think like a cat.......everything is meant to be played with......Best of luck.........Gidgie

Gidgie

Post by Gidgie » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:27 pm

Oops! Forgot to log in....

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:46 pm

Anyway, it's just fiddle, fiddle, fiddle until I hit it right
And also tweak, tweak, tweak... for the sake of variety.

(A weary old bear at the zoo
When it bored him to go
In his cage to and fro
He reversed it
And walked fro and to.)
O.