Mask vent waking partner

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NJDav

Mask vent waking partner

Post by NJDav » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi I'm a newbie to all this CPAP lark, getting on ok with it on the whole really.

Just one question, how do you guys get round the mask vent FFM, from waking your bed partner, apart from facing the other way is there anything else that can be done.

Cheers

Dav.

Chikorita

Re: Mask vent waking partner

Post by Chikorita » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Hello there and welcome.
Is it a noise or the air flow that is bothering them?
Also, in the user control panel you can list the equipment you use which will help people answer your questions more accurately.
It's on the top lhs of the screen under cpaptalk.com.

________
Chikorita in Australia :: APAP since 3/8/2012
1 God, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 8 chooks, 5 ducks, 3 budgies and a bee hive
Equipment - ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset :: AirFit P10 Nasal Pillow :: Pressure range 7-12cm :: OSCAR

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:24 pm

My wife has gotten use to it. It also helps to place a floor fan in the room. It helped to drown out the cpap machine and mask venting noise.

Sheriff

Roobin

Post by Roobin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:27 pm

I cut a strip from a spare filter that is used by my APAP machine and taped it loosely over the vent. The vent is important, so you don't want to block it completely, nor do you want to cover the filter completely in tape. But this definitely diffused the torrent of air, which was bothering both my bed partner AND me. Hope this helps.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Roobin wrote:I cut a strip from a spare filter that is used by my APAP machine and taped it loosely over the vent. The vent is important, so you don't want to block it completely, nor do you want to cover the filter completely in tape. But this definitely diffused the torrent of air, which was bothering both my bed partner AND me. Hope this helps.
I'm not sure you should block or obstruct an exhaust vent in any way, lest CO2 levels in your mask rise.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Roobin

Post by Roobin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:12 am

RandyJ wrote:
Roobin wrote:I cut a strip from a spare filter that is used by my APAP machine and taped it loosely over the vent. The vent is important, so you don't want to block it completely, nor do you want to cover the filter completely in tape. But this definitely diffused the torrent of air, which was bothering both my bed partner AND me. Hope this helps.
I'm not sure you should block or obstruct an exhaust vent in any way, lest CO2 levels in your mask rise.
Hopefully others will weigh in on this as you are certainly correct about the CO2 issue. I got this idea from another post I read a while back. It suggested placing a band aid loosely over the exhaust holes but I decided to use the filter instead because it's a lot more porous than the band-aid's pad. I do tape it very loosely, so air is escaping not just through the filter, but also around the sides of it as well.

Roobin

Post by Roobin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:25 am

I did some additional searches through previous posts and I guess the consensus is that it's not a good idea to block the exhaust holes.....even with a porous material. Like me, there are others that have done / are doing this and we're still alive to talk about it! But I'm sure there is a risk involved, depending on the material, how tightly you cover the holes, etc. Bottom line: not a good idea. I stand corrected and am retracting my original suggestion.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:23 pm

I punch the comforter until it forms a little dam between my mask and my sweetie's neck.
I have also stood a thin travel pillow on edge between my pillow and his.

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:50 pm

I use a hose clip (available from our hosts or on ebay) and direct the vent so it doesn't blow on my partner.

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:10 pm

My dear wife and I are both on the hose. I can say is "Don't cross the streams."

Actually, we sometimes prop a pillow up between us to deflect the stream as it hits my back or hits her face. Otherwise we hardly notice.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Roobin wrote:I did some additional searches through previous posts and I guess the consensus is that it's not a good idea to block the exhaust holes.....even with a porous material. Like me, there are others that have done / are doing this and we're still alive to talk about it! But I'm sure there is a risk involved, depending on the material, how tightly you cover the holes, etc. Bottom line: not a good idea. I stand corrected and am retracting my original suggestion.
I'm sort of Mr. "Rebreathing Parnoia" on this board, but I wouldn't have any qualms about wrapping one layer of T-shirt material or something like that around the vent area on the mask. Of course, if you do something like cover it with tape or wrap something non-porous around it, you're on your own. If you can put it over your mouth and nose and still breathe comfortably, you're probably OK.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Roobin

Post by Roobin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:38 pm

archangle wrote:I'm sort of Mr. "Rebreathing Parnoia" on this board, but I wouldn't have any qualms about wrapping one layer of T-shirt material or something like that around the vent area on the mask. Of course, if you do something like cover it with tape or wrap something non-porous around it, you're on your own. If you can put it over your mouth and nose and still breathe comfortably, you're probably OK.
Thanks for the vote of confidence in my system. I really did try to think it through, both by using one layer of air filter material (clearly, a material that lets air get through!) and by taping it very loosely over the vents.

Java Time

Post by Java Time » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:58 pm

If the exhaust is on the part of the hose that swivels, sometimes you can point it a different direction. This was one of the reasons I have my "Aloha" hose go up in front of my face secured to the top of my headgear, rather than routing down toward my chest.

If you are struggling with congestion, it helped me to add Alkalol to my daily sinus rinse. This reduced my congestion and allows me to breathe freely with my CPAP mask. CPAPtalk post about Alkalol use here: viewtopic.php?p=665255#p665255

NJDav

Post by NJDav » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:33 pm

If an air filter lets air in, it stands to reason it will let air out, I think some people are over reacting, I don't think covering the vent with an air filter to diffuse the air flow a little is gonna kill you.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:37 pm

NJDav wrote:If an air filter lets air in, it stands to reason it will let air out, I think some people are over reacting, I don't think covering the vent with an air filter to diffuse the air flow a little is gonna kill you.
On a car, the air filter lets the air in...the exhaust lets it out. I wouldn't want to cover the exhaust pipe.