1 month and really struggling...............

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Buckhorn dan

1 month and really struggling...............

Post by Buckhorn dan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Before being diagnosed I had no problem at least going to sleep. Since getting my machine I can't sleep with the CPAP and now can't sleep without it... basically I can't sleep at all! I'm asking myself what happened to me??? I know I need to win this battle with the CPAP unit however I'm now facing a whole different issue and that is not sleeping at all.

Anyone else have this issue
?

Thanks,

Dan

BlackSpinner

Re: 1 month and really struggling...............

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Buckhorn dan wrote:Before being diagnosed I had no problem at least going to sleep. Since getting my machine I can't sleep with the CPAP and now can't sleep without it... basically I can't sleep at all! I'm asking myself what happened to me??? I know I need to win this battle with the CPAP unit however I'm now facing a whole different issue and that is not sleeping at all.
So how about detailing the problem? Is it falling asleep? staying asleep? mask? anxiety? insomnia? What happens when you put the mask on?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

jjlady

Post by jjlady » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:52 pm

I am a little over 2 weeks into using the machine. I had the same problem, well it took hours to fall asleep with it, once I fall asleep I am fine. When I went to my doctor about this, he told me to only sleep 7 hours on it, and don't lay in bed with the mask on my face for more than 20 minutes if I can't sleep, he said get up and out of the bedroom and wait until I am sleepy and try again and keep repeating until I can fall asleep with it on within 20 minutes, so far that is working. That is my best advice...don't lay there trying to sleep on it, for more than 20 minutes, yes you might go a few days without sleep or little sleep but it seems to be working.

eaglett1111

Post by eaglett1111 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:55 pm

i've been having the problem of focusing so much on my breathing with the CPAP that I can't fall asleep. It's a new world with the CPAP, and I for one was too aware of the noise of the breathing to let it go.

What is helping lately is to listen to some relaxing music. It takes my mind away from my breathing and helps me to get to sleep. You might try that or any other kind of noise that takes your mind away from the sound of the breathing through the machine.

Sloop

Post by Sloop » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:20 pm

For each of you I suspect some form of claustrophobia is at play. How dark is your room? (I recommend total darkness -- even if you have to cover up your LED display alarm clock.) How cool is your room? (I recommend keeping it cool.) How much airflow circulation do you have? (I recommend keeping a fan blowing over you and then get under covers.) Fan noise is also excellent for masking any CPAP machine noise.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Buckhorn dan,

Problems falling asleep when you are first starting out are NOT uncommon. Some good advice has been given to you.

And as the honorary president of the CPAP&Insomnnia Club, I'll also suggest that you take the time to read through my essay Taming the CPAP Induced Insomnia Monster. While much of what I write about may not apply in your case, you should still find plenty of ideas on what you can do to encourage your body and mind to learn how to (quickly) fall asleep after you first mask up.

barker109

Post by barker109 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Hey Dan,

Your not alone. I've only been on cpap since June 1 of this year. I struggle everynight. I've had three mask now but they still wake me up. You might talk to your Dr. about something to help you sleep until your accustomed to this whole new sleep thing. I'm told it gets better. Have to believe that!

Take care,
Karen

eaglett1111

Post by eaglett1111 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks. Just put dark sheets over my blinds in my bedroom. If it makes a differnce tonight, it's off to the drapery store tomorrow.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:11 pm

eaglett1111 wrote:Thanks. Just put dark sheets over my blinds in my bedroom. If it makes a differnce tonight, it's off to the drapery store tomorrow.
If it doesn't seem to make a difference tonight, give it more than one night -- the darkness encourages your brain to produce melatonin, the sleep hormone. But it may not happen overnight.

Buckhorn dan

Post by Buckhorn dan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:19 pm

robysue wrote:Buckhorn dan,

Problems falling asleep when you are first starting out are NOT uncommon. Some good advice has been given to you.

And as the honorary president of the CPAP&Insomnnia Club, I'll also suggest that you take the time to read through my essay Taming the CPAP Induced Insomnia Monster. While much of what I write about may not apply in your case, you should still find plenty of ideas on what you can do to encourage your body and mind to learn how to (quickly) fall asleep after you first mask up.
Thanks to all who have responded. Thanks robysue for posting your blog I saw myself in many of the topics you discussed.

My primary problem (at the moment) is getting to sleep with or without the CPAP unit. I'm dreading going to bed because I know no matter how tired I am heading up those stairs the moment I get into bed means lying there hour after hour desperately trying to go to sleep. As stated, I never had a problem getting to sleep before the machine and am trying to figure out why I'm suffering now with or without using the machine.

The Sleep Doc gave me Zopiclone 7.5 mg to help me relax for sleep. It does work somehwhat but I'm smart enough to realize that this is not a long-term option. I've just had two cups of Chamomile tea and a pill and I'm not anywhere sleep enough to give this a try yet tonight. Let's hope my luck changes! Thanks to all for your words of wisdom and support.

eaglett1111

Post by eaglett1111 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Buckhorn - I feel your pain.

This is one way where we are our own worst enemy. If I'm reading correctly, your dread of not going to sleep is going to make it that much more difficult, and I can most definitely relate.

Somehow you have got to switch up your mindset. Maybe it is meds at least for awhile. Maybe it's darkened room (I'm trying that tonight). Maybe it is relaxation tapes. Something to take your mind away from the dread of not falling to sleep. You are psyching yourself out. That is something I've done, and sometimes still do, and in the limited time I've been around this new world I don't think we are alone. There is something about the new sound of the machine that focuses attention in a way that keeps us awake. I don't understand it, but there it is. We have to divert our attention.

If you are like me, chamomile tea will just make you pee more.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:29 pm

Buckhorn dan wrote:
robysue wrote:Buckhorn dan,
My primary problem (at the moment) is getting to sleep with or without the CPAP unit. I'm dreading going to bed because I know no matter how tired I am heading up those stairs the moment I get into bed means lying there hour after hour desperately trying to go to sleep. As stated, I never had a problem getting to sleep before the machine and am trying to figure out why I'm suffering now with or without using the machine.

The Sleep Doc gave me Zopiclone 7.5 mg to help me relax for sleep. It does work somehwhat but I'm smart enough to realize that this is not a long-term option. I've just had two cups of Chamomile tea and a pill and I'm not anywhere sleep enough to give this a try yet tonight. Let's hope my luck changes! Thanks to all for your words of wisdom and support.
Sometimes you can build up enough sleep debt that you'll fall asleep fairly quickly at least once, and that could be the end of the insomnia. The thing is that when you first start using a CPAP, you're focused on the CPAP rather than emptying your mind so that you can sleep. I mean, you've been sleeping successfully for years without it, and when you start using it, that's a big change. I remember when I started, I use earplugs for various reasons, and it was like sleeping in Darth Vader's helmet, sort of *smile*. I took Ambien for a week when I started and that seemed to get me over the hump. But everyone's different. I still occasionally take sublingual melatonin if I'm feeling stressed and know that it will be difficult to get to sleep. And I still have problems going back to sleep sometimes, usually mostly when I start to think about things instead of just going back to sleep *smile*.

I think that you've come to the right place to talk about it, though...you'll get some good ideas along the way here.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

SoooTired

Post by SoooTired » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:40 pm

Hello,

I can't tell you how much I can relate to your story. Are you claustrophobic? It sounds as if you are. I haven't read the article referenced above so that may address all the subjects I will, but your post could have been from me three years ago when I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I would feel sleepy until it was almost bedtime and then I'd mysteriously get this boost of energy just when I was supposed to go to bed. Foolishly, it took me quite a whle to realize I was subconsciously keeping myself awake because I absolutely dreaded going to bed and using the mask.

I was always an insomniac but it hadn't been so bad for the few years before I was diagnosed but now I was right back where I'd been back in the days of high school. I don't know if you were an insomniac but if you are, you must know all the tricks. Keep the room dark, cool, turn the clock so you can't see it, don't lie there if you don't fall asleep within what seems to be twenty minutes or so. Grab a book; watch TV; do anything you find restful and try to go to bed later.

Now, if you're like I was and sometimes still can be, it can be as late as 3:30AM and you're still wandering the house. Prior to that, you should have taken a sleeping aid. Everyone thinks sleeping pills aren't addictive. Any drug you need is not addictive. You may need to take a sleeping pill for as long as six months or a year. You'll be just fine when you stop taking it. In the meantime, stop looking into the future and live from today until tomorrow.

Does your mask hurt? Do you think it's the right fit My problem was that they just couldn't find a mask small enough for me. It finally got to the point where I was told, by my doctor and my DME therapist, that I had to try the fabric mask because the mask I had been using was hurting both my skin and was actually causing a divot in my nose. That mask changed my life! It's so much lighter, so much less like wearing a mask. It's extraordinary.

When I stil have nights I can't go to sleep, I take a sleeping pill (Ambien) and I fall asleep so much easier.

The main thing you should do is reach out to your doctor. Choose either your Pulmonologist, your respiration therapist or your PCP. Choose the person with whom you have the best rapport. You'll be amazed at how many times they've heard your story and they really want to help. Don't beat yourself up over this; it's so much more common than you think.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

NAT85

Post by NAT85 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:21 pm

Do you have trouble breathing when you first put the mask on ? I did so I used the ramp function on my machine starts at a low pressure and gradually increases I have no probs falling asleep now

chearyshe

Post by chearyshe » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 am

hi Eaglett1111. I had the very same problem and used the very same solution. nice classical music on the radio all night, playing softly. I was really frustrated at first but that problem was solved.

cheary!!

btw, I'm an Eaglet_Momster!