Newbies thread - eaglett

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eaglett1111

Newbies thread - eaglett

Post by eaglett1111 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi all. After posting a few times I thought I'd also post the results of my sleep study, which may help in the future if I come up with problems that I need your help with.

My symptoms before sleep study:
high blood pressure, weight gain (need 40 lbs at least off), stress/anxiety/depression, sleepy all day, cranky (just ask my staff!), osteoporosis, back pain, asthma.

In other words, a wreck.

Here is some stuff I don't understand: Stanford sleepiness score: 4, BMI 22.4, Epworth score: 8;

During sleep study:without CPAP: sleep efficiency of 78%, AHI 48.7-52.3; increased stage 1 at 11%, generous stage 2 at 52%, and slow wave sleep at 32%. O2 mean was 87%; No REM sleep . Arousal was 63, with 158 arousals and 24 because of limb movements.

After the CPAP, i got 53% REM. arousal index was 24. Normal sinus rhythm; breathing rate 14 to 16;AHI of 6.8.

Okay. That's me. Soon I'll understand everything I just told you!

Sloop

Re: Newbies thread - eaglett

Post by Sloop » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Given that sleep labs are what I call "the little shop of horrors", I think your results are good. You should expect to see much better results once you get your own machine and settle in with it. You'll quickly learn here how to download Sleephead sw and evaluate your therapy.

See my "lecture" from another thread:

viewtopic/t80577/Hey-all-yet-another-nOOb.html

eaglett1111

Post by eaglett1111 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:49 pm

I read that thread, Sloop.

I do relate. The other night I couldn't WAIT to get to sleep. I really like the machine, as weird as that sounds. I seem to have gone through the stages really quickly. I've had it for 9 days now, and have been through extreme hopefulness, embarrassment, guilt, anger, depression and now I'm hopeful again. Last night was a bit tougher than the nights before - but I'll figure it out. I am most definitely starting to feel better. And I have lost 4 pounds without even trying.

I haven't downloaded the software yet. Have to understand it a bit more. My machine doesn't seem to be on the drop down list provided by this forum. Don't really understand that. But there is time.

I just am so excited to get better! I can see myself more lively, off of many of my meds, and just a happier person. I'm impatient, but if I'm reading right my results are already promising. I looked at my machine readout today and it said the AHI is 1.5. I don't know how accurate this is.... but I think its a good thing? Okay I had better look up what AHI is right now! LOL

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:12 pm

AHI of 1.5, after what you had in your sleep study is indeed a good thing. When you can, download the data off your memory card into a program like sleepyhead (or if your machine has it's own software to install for data analysis that could be even better *smile*), and take a look at the AHI graph. You'll see (most likely) that some nights your AHI is below 1, and some it's higher than 1.5, the machine itself is giving you an average. There's several interesting graphs that you can look at that display what's happening over time, like usage, pressure, leaks, etc., and you'll see how things are going. But the AHI of 1.5 is a good place to be, what I've heard is that lower than 5 is considered "normal" and healthy.

It sounds like you're on the right track, and taking care of business. Keep it up *smile*.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

Sloop

Post by Sloop » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Eaglett

I am suspicious that your machine is in fact a PR System One, since you mentioned the humidifier is a System One. They only mate to like devices. The System One often goes by the name RemStar Pro C-Flex Plus. If your machine looks like this one ...
http://www.directhomemedical.com/pr-sys ... 4AodqX8AxA
Then you should be able to use the SleepyHead sw. One of members here has all the sw linked in her signature line. You'll simply download that to your computer. On your machine, you'll find an SD memory card spring-loaded right up under the square overhang. You remove that, plug it into your computer, download the data to a file setup by you, and then you access the SleepHead program (Import) and retrieve the data. Your first retreival will take a few minutes because of so many days worth of data. After that, you can check it whenever you want and it will be quick.

Last edited by Sloop on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
................21+ years of restorative, apnea-free sleep.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Your equipment machine and humidifier are listed in the equipment list in the drop down menu.
Look for the grouping of equipment that starts with PR System One Remstar.....for your machine (Pro with CFlex) and your humidifier is simply the PR System One Heated Humidifier.

Check my signature line for software information.
Does your machine say 60 series on it anywhere? If it does not then you can use SleepyHead software.
If it does say 60 series it means you have the recently released 60 series with the heated hose and SleepyHead won't work with it yet but if you will drop me a private message I will get you some information on software that will work.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:32 pm

Please see my Newbie Guide to Respironics machines. I've included lots of pictures to help you figure out exactly which REMstar you have.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Please see my Newbie Guide to Respironics machines. I've included lots of pictures to help you figure out exactly which REMstar you have.

eaglett1111

Post by eaglett1111 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:19 pm

Sloop wrote:Eaglett

I am suspicious that your machine is in fact a PR System One, since you mentioned the humidifier is a System One. They only mate to like devices. The System One often goes by the name RemStar Pro C-Flex Plus. If your machine looks like this one ...
http://www.directhomemedical.com/pr-sys ... 4AodqX8AxA
Then you should be able to use the SleepyHead sw. One of members here has all the sw linked in her signature line. You'll simply download that to your computer. On your machine, you'll find an SD memory card spring-loaded right up under the square overhang. You remove that, plug it into your computer, download the data to a file setup by you, and then you access the SleepHead program (Import) and retrieve the data. Your first retreival will take a few minutes because of so many days worth of data. After that, you can check it whenever you want and it will be quick.
Yes it looks like that is what I have. I'll search for the software link on Monday. I don't have the device to upload the info to my computer at home, but I can get one from work.

Thank you!

Sloop

Post by Sloop » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:27 pm

eaglett1111 wrote: Yes it looks like that is what I have. I'll search for the software link on Monday. I don't have the device to upload the info to my computer at home, but I can get one from work.

Thank you!

Do you mean your computer does not have a slot for an SD memory card?

eaglett1111

Post by eaglett1111 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:40 am

Yes. What I have at work is a device that can fit in any number of sizes of cards in it and then connect to the computer on the USB port.

Sloop

Post by Sloop » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:43 am

eaglett1111 wrote:Yes. What I have at work is a device that can fit in any number of sizes of cards in it and then connect to the computer on the USB port.

Got it.

eaglett1111

Post by eaglett1111 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:34 am

Just an update (hope its okay to use this forum this way).

yesterday was the first day in 3 months that I was able to stay at work all day. I have turned a corner. A big one. I am thrilled that I had the energy to stick with it yesterday. Thank God I have a job that allowed me to talk work home when I needed, but I am so glad that I didn't feel the need yesterday.

Still have dry nose, but will get that worked out. The CPAP does work.

eaglett1111

Post by eaglett1111 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:51 am

This is a roller coaster.

I have had some problems with the mask the past couple of nights, and I'm frustrated that I wake up at all at night. Last night I tightened the mask and was able to get back to sleep, but I'm still frustrated. The honeymoon feels over.

I still have more energy during the day, so i know I am getting more sleep than I used to. But this is so weird. I mean, last night my nose itched. I instinctively reached to scratch it and when my hand hit the mask I felt like there was a parasite on my face for an instant. Ick. Ick. Tell me this is all a part of it - that this phase will go away!!!!!!