Shipping charges to Canada Using cpap.com

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Justin Case

Shipping charges to Canada Using cpap.com

Post by Justin Case » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Does anyone know if Canada post charges any handling fee if cpap parts totalling say over $100 are mailed from USA to Canada? I know generally, if you receive an item from outside Canada, typically less than $20 then Canada Post usually doesn't add a handling fee.
Last edited by Justin Case on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC

BlackSpinner

Re: Shipping charges to Canada Using cpap.com

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:06 pm

Justin Case wrote:Does anyone know if Canada post charges any handling fee if cpap parts totalling say over $100 are mailed from USA to Canada?
Shipping depends size and weight not cost of the item. Except for insurance coverage. There is not custom fee or gst for medical products

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Justin Case

Post by Justin Case » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks, but in general, Canada Post add's it's own fee just like shipping brokers often due too. There is a custom declaration on the value of the item. If the shipper says $100 then you can pretty much count on getting dinged taxes unless it says medical exempt. The Canada Post fee is separate: http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus ... omsfee.jsf

CBSA doesnt typically collect on amounts $20 or less: http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manua ... sp#1382741

I've also had to pay taxes before the HST came in at the border because they miscategorized the items and I had to go through a lengthy appeal process. CPAP supplies is still considered grey as far as CBSA is concerned and errors I believe are likely to occur as a result. Just surious if these errors would occur via mail or if it's better to just to ship to a US Border town.
Last edited by Justin Case on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:23 pm

None of that happened when I bought my Hybrid mask from cpap.com.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Justin Case

Post by Justin Case » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:27 pm

My order is going to have several items, 6 to be exact and it'll be well over $100. I know even with regular items, say, electronics some people get dinged with importing fees and others don't. It can be hit or miss, Not sure which is a better option for me to go with. For me, it'll work out to be about the same if I get the items shipped to Canada after I pay the pickup fees and fuel to travel to the US Shipping Redirect store. In both cases, there can be hassles.
JC

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Your order should come by courier as all mine have over the years, with no extra charges including border or brokerage or CP fees.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:46 pm

There are good chances you wont have any problem if you ship it at your address. I have been doing it for 2 years or more and I have had only once to pay taxes (for my first cpap machine two years ago), for another machine I paid $0.0, masks and other items at least 8 times all OK no problem.

Once I toke the time to call and make a complain about the customs classification they made to a CPAP mask, they wrote " fantasy mask ''. I told them it was no fantasy about that mask, it was a medical item. They told they didn't have a different code to give to it, but at the same time they didn't charge anything.

If I was you I would make it arrives at my home, but that's me. The border for me is at 1 hour so calculate gaz for 2 hours drive + the amount for the place where the box will arrive and you will have more trouble than economies. By the way I have never paid brokerage with Canada Post on my CPAP items.

If you don't declare at the border and you get caught you will be stopped each time you cross it and deep examined for years, so the moral of the story is '' it's good to say the true''

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:29 am

I bought an aloha mask lately and didn't pay any other fee. What cpap.com charged me for shipping was it, nothing further........and I don't have house delivery, I have to pick up my mail at the post office in my town. Medical equipment is exempt of customs charges.
Edit to say.....I have received from the U.S. a machine from one member and a humidifier from another plus plenty of masks and pillows.....have NEVER paid anything extra....as long as it is written medical equipment on the customs declaration there is NO fee.
Last edited by nanwilson on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:59 am

I forgot to tell you if you use Fedex or UPS (I don't remember which of them maybe both) you will be charged for brokerage. The best is to use USPS, no problem with that, no brokerage because it comes by Canada Post at the end and not one of those private companies.

headbored

Post by headbored » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:38 pm

BUMP

tschultz

Post by tschultz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:15 pm

FedEx International Priority is supposed to have brokerage fees included, other methods will have additional brokerage or clearing fees added, often invoiced later.

Adjusting to life with OSA and being pressurized each night ...