Travel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
john320

Travel

Post by john320 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:12 am

I am planning a trip to Italy by plane. Is it safe to pack my CPAP in my checked (not carry-on) luggage, or is it likely that it will be stolen by luggage handlers for resale?
John320

Bobby269

Re: Travel

Post by Bobby269 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:29 am

I always hand carry mine. That's one sure way to know that it will be there that night. I have had bags get there a day later.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue May 29, 2012 8:31 am

Never...never check your cpap equipment in your luggage. It is considered medical equipment and since it is you carry it on WITH YOU...and not in your carry on luggage either...separate, by itself in its own bag.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Tue May 29, 2012 9:57 am

It's not likely it will be stolen, but I personally wouldn't want their grubby hands all over my CPAP stuff if you check it separately from your luggage, nor would I trust them not to use it as a football.

XPAP is medical equipment, so doesn't count towards carry-on, so IMHO it's a no-brainer for peace of mind to have it always where I can see it when travelling. Just make sure you don't put anything other than XPAP equipment and supplies in the XPAP bag.

Happy Travels!

xenablue

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 am

ALWAYS!!! Carry on any medical/drugs that you will need.. NEVER!! check your CPAP.

I know, you are probably saying...but the plane is a non-stop.. your CPAP may never even get loaded, OR it won't get un-loaded, and if it gets unloaded will it be in the same condition that it was when you gave it to the agent.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Tue May 29, 2012 11:00 pm

I agree,its not likely anyone will steal it. I always carry on the plane because i dont want it tossed around.Just imagine if it were busted and you were in a
country without any CPAP supplies.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Wed May 30, 2012 2:05 am

Hi,

I have put my CPAP machine in my checked luggage a few times, and didn't have any issues. Of course, it only takes one time to mess up a trip. I have also put my CPAP inside of my carry on. On those occasions, they didn't open my carry on or handle my machine in any way. The first two times I traveled, I had my CPAP in its own carry case. In both cases, I got pulled aside and was and searched. They opened it up and swabbed it down. On future trips, I will put it inside of my carry on bag. I also do that with my camera equipment--it keeps me from having to take it out, assemble it, and prove that it works.

-john-

Ticman

Post by Ticman » Wed May 30, 2012 8:49 am

I always carry my CPAP in the travel case it came with. It also has a medical tag hanging on it. I have been ask to open it once. They just looked at it and said I was good. I put it under the seat in front of me that way no one will try smashing it flat trying to get their "way to big for the overhead" bag stuffed in the bin.

I do put the machine, humidifier and mask in separate plastic bags just in case they want me to take it out. Most TSA agents already know what it is. At least the ones I have encountered.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Wed May 30, 2012 9:48 am

Some research for the OP to answer the question: "Is it okay to check my xPAP device?"

Go to Google Images:

https://images.google.com/

And enter "damaged luggage" into the search box. Then you tell me how you would feel if you were not able to sleep your entire trip. It would tend to ruin your travel, wouldn't it.

Like the others, I *never* check my xPAP device.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

pats

Post by pats » Wed May 30, 2012 10:17 am

Ticman wrote:I do put the machine, humidifier and mask in separate plastic bags just in case they want me to take it out. Most TSA agents already know what it is. At least the ones I have encountered.
The original message was about travel to Italy. That means at least one flight will leave from a non-TSA airport. Depending on itinerary, there may one or more flights that neither depart from nor arrive in the USA. For those flights, USA FAA rules are completely inapplicable.

What is the general experience with international XPAP travel?

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Wed May 30, 2012 1:22 pm

pats wrote:What is the general experience with international XPAP travel?
In PacRim, it's a breeze. Security is familiar with machines and no problems in Korea, Taiwan, HK, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand and Indonesia.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 30, 2012 1:28 pm

Italy is a civilized country. I'm sure they've heard of CPAP.
Of course with their economy the way it is, I wouldn't let that sucker out of my sight!

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed May 30, 2012 1:36 pm

errr.. chunkyfrog... wouldn't that be a 'blower' not a sucker?

cheers,
xena

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Wed May 30, 2012 2:47 pm

john320 wrote:I am planning a trip to Italy by plane. Is it safe to pack my CPAP in my checked (not carry-on) luggage, or is it likely that it will be stolen by luggage handlers for resale?
John320
Ewww. I wouldn't think about being stolen although I guess that is a concern. But I would think they would open it and check it out with their grubby hands. That could be gross. I have put my CPAP in my checked luggage on domestic flights but yeah it might be sketchy doing it internationally.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:00 pm

pats wrote:The original message was about travel to Italy. That means at least one flight will leave from a non-TSA airport.
There are non stop flights to Italy from Atlanta, I just checked and Delta has non stop flights to Italy. From what I understand if you fly an American carrier our TSA rules apply.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV