Possible red mark solution?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nedi

Post by nedi » Sat May 26, 2012 9:53 am

Hi there, I've been searching through the forums for a solution to red marks on the face due to cpap masks. I read several posts and see that many are are having a real hard time dealing with red marks that last the whole day. After thinking about it, I thought that what was needed is a topical vasoconstrictor (Im in med school ). that's just a fancy term for something that constricts blood vessels. This may sound silly, but has anyone tried preparation H? One active ingredient is phenylephrine, a vasoconstrictor. It seems it may be a readily available, easy solution. Let me know!

ChicagoGranny

Re: Possible red mark solution?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat May 26, 2012 10:49 am

"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sat May 26, 2012 10:53 am

The red marks are caused by the mask being over tightened. If the marks are lasting all day I would think it is more than just being severely over tightened, if it was just that, they would probably get brusing also.
I would not suggest using a vasoconstrictor for something like this. A vasoconstrictor is not designed to be used consistantly rather it is to be used occasionally for a flair up.

Ask your instructors what they think about using preparation H on ones face on a daily basis and let us know what they think.

No trying to slam you those are just my two cents, but let us know what you find out from your instructors.

nedi

Post by nedi » Sat May 26, 2012 11:02 am

Will do! I'll let you know what the Pharm prof says.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:49 am

People get Haemophilia Spots either as hereditary or from taking drugs that weaken the the blood vessels. Taking Actos for Diabetes can cause it.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Sat May 26, 2012 11:57 am

An alternative non-pharama, natural, and non-toxic topical vasoconstrictor is to splash ice cold water on you face in the morning. May also be used to substitute morning caffeine addiction.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Sleep2Die4

Post by Sleep2Die4 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:59 am

Petroleum H contains petrolatum which will cause rapid deterioration of mask materials.

Eton

Post by Eton » Sat May 26, 2012 8:06 pm

I had the same problem with a red mark on the bridge of my nose until I changed to a different mask. I now do not have any kind of a mark on my face, even with 8 hours use. i now use a nasal mask, Resmed mirage fx for her. It is soft and pliable and does not leave marks. Hope this helps...

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat May 26, 2012 8:32 pm

The idea of using a drug (every night for the rest of your life) just to reduce a slight red mark on the face (that fades in an hour) is truly dumb. If it really really bothers you, get some make up.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Sat May 26, 2012 10:02 pm

All my problems associated with mask marks and pressure were solved when I was supplied with my first Res-Med Mirage Activa Nasal mask nearly six years ago. Before that fitting I had used a variety of different masks for about 18 years with decidedly poor results. The bubble construction of the mask has been by far the best mask I have used, and I will not likely even try any other mask again.

TheDuke

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Sat May 26, 2012 11:22 pm

nedi,

To clarify, do you mean to apply a small amount of Prep H to the red spots in the morning? Or before masking up to avoid the red spots occurring altogether?

As for the latter, as was mentioned above, there may be an ingredient in the Prep H that is incompatible with silicone. You would need to check that.

As for the former, I have heard of models applying Prep H under the eyes to get rid of bags, since it reduces swelling. I don't know whether it would quickly get rid of redness due to contact pressure or not.

I get a red mark on one side of my nose, even though I don't wear my mask very tightly, but up to now I've never bothered much about it.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

jillj

Post by jillj » Sun May 27, 2012 11:38 am

This is what I came looking to find, I have strap marks that are quite visible for at least 2 hours. I don't splash ice cold water on it, maybe that would help some. I also get marks all around the contact spots where the nasal mask touches the face, as well as a lasting bump across the bridge of my nose. Any helpful solutions for me?

nedi

Post by nedi » Wed May 30, 2012 6:10 am

BlackSpinner wrote:The idea of using a drug (every night for the rest of your life) just to reduce a slight red mark on the face (that fades in an hour) is truly dumb. If it really really bothers you, get some make up.
Many have the red marks for the entire day!

nedi

Post by nedi » Wed May 30, 2012 6:15 am

Thanks for the posts, folks.
Well, it was my mistake to think the red patched were from vasodilation. The Dr. said the red mark is from the interstitial fluid being driven out of the area due to excess pressure. Conclusion: Prep H a no-go. The only recommendations received were to try and massage the area around the marks, or hang upside-down! Oh well.

notyorz

Post by notyorz » Wed May 30, 2012 6:36 am

... or find a mask that fits your face correctly, even if means switching from ffm to nasal, or vise versa... or loosen up the headgear. Two other recommendations for those with red marks.

Additional Comments: Severe OSA. AHI:56 & O2:72%. Longest Apnea: 77 secs. Avg: 39 secs. 1st Study: 5/3/12. Titration: 5/17/12. Therapy: 5/24/12. Pressure 10/17