Self Analysis of Sleep Patterns,etc

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Doovid

Self Analysis of Sleep Patterns,etc

Post by Doovid » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:23 am

I'm a newbie, so have a few questions.... Some of the CPAP machines have the capability to generate various reports of positive/negative air pressures, mask leaks, snoring intervals, etc., While this may be useful to a sleep apnea trained medical technician, can the average user (such as myself) be able to evaluate and use the data properly? I read on this forum where many users are changing pressure settings, etc., without discussing these changes with their doctor or DME.

I am leary of the results of a patient incorrectly making changes to his/her treatment based on limited knowledge of this dangerous disease. Is there a "users manual" on how to interpret and apply data gathered by the various CPAP machines? Are there any easily understood clinical/medical reports that discuss the data and it's use?

Believe me, I am very interested in being able to do a self-analysis of my sleeping patterns, apnea incidents, etc., and modifying my treatment, but I don't want to make things worse by experimenting where I shouldn't, as a patient, not a clinician. . As it is often said, "... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!"

I'm not submitting this message to cause a flame-up, but only to be sure that I do the right thing. I want to make this treatment I'm beginning the best I can....

ehusen

Post by ehusen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:37 am

Well there are a lot of opinions on this board but I think that in many cases you the patient will do a better job in your treatment than many of the Doctor's and DMEs out there.

Yes, there are potential issues with it. But at it's core you are merely adjusting a pressure setting on a mechanical device to minimize your AHI. That's it, there aren't really any other variables. Find the lowest possible pressure setting that is comfortable and still removes most of your events.

Okay, so yes there might be some other settings like C-flex and such but those are more for comfort than anything. They aren't life threatening if they are on or off.

I don't think there is a manual out there but there is a lot of information to be searched for on this board.

Just to be clear, you should get an initial sleep study to verify things. But from there, I feel tweaking your xPAP settings is invaluable.

The real issue is what you feel comfortable doing. But adjusting xPAP settings is a lot less serious than adjusting medications and such.

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:59 pm

Hi Doovid,
You're right to be careful, and obviously no one should make changes to their treatment before they've taken the time to read about both disease and its therapy. You can find lots of interesting and important info on this site, in the FAQs, both here and at https://www.cpap.com - the kind hosts of this site; in http://www.talkaboutsleep.com, and in various medical journals.

Diabetes is a dangerous disease, and people have been know to die from too much insulin. And yet they are taught to self titrate their insulin, using sophisticated insulin pumps. As one of our members wrote - her 12 year old daughter does that.

You shouldn't, ever, make changes to your treatment if you don't know what you're doing, and if you trust your doctror or DME - it is always better to consult with knowledgeable.

Some of us have come to doubt how knowledgeable their doctors really are.

The decision whether to trust one's doctor is a personal one - and while some of us do get on the soap box every now and then to complain about the medical industry, that does not mean that others can't go on feeling good about the people who treat them.

So - happy reading, browsing and learning, and if you have specific questions, go ahead an ask - many will be glad to share their knowledge and tips with you.

O.

rested gal

Re: Self Analysis of Sleep Patterns,etc

Post by rested gal » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:04 pm

Doovid wrote:can the average user (such as myself) be able to evaluate and use the data properly?
Yes.

Average new CPAP users who were given a brief amount of instruction in how, why, when to adjust the pressure on their machines were able to handle their titrations at home. And they were doing it without benefit of autopaps or software. Handling their own CPAP treatment successfully "by feel" for the most part.

Can Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea Titrate Their Own Continuous Positive Airway Pressure? Published: American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine Vol 167. pp. 716-722, (2003)

ehusen and ozij are exactly right, imho.