dry mouth with full face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoocrewphoto

dry mouth with full face mask

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun May 06, 2012 2:49 pm

I am a new apap user. Just started last Monday. I've been sleeping most of the night with a few interuptions. Not too bad. But I have been waking up with a dry mouth. I am using the heated humidifier. I took it off auto and moved it up in levels. At 6, I had some water in my mask, so I took it back to 5. I have the temp set at 75 right now. Everything seems comfortable, but I am still having a dry mouth. Any suggestions? I am using the Resmed S9 auto with heated humidifier and climateline tubing.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Sheriff Buford

Re: dry mouth with full face mask

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun May 06, 2012 3:19 pm

If you are a mouth breather and you have your humidifier maxed-out, there's really not much you can do. I also have dry mouth, but is not unbearable. There's not much you can do about it.

Please place your equipment in your profile.

Eureka

Post by Eureka » Sun May 06, 2012 6:01 pm

I am using a Hybrid mask and having some problem with dry mouth. When I used the F&P 431, I didn't have that problem. The Hybrid uses pillows so a lot of air is going into the nose-- so it's almost like using a nasal mask in that the air will come out the mouth, thus the dry mouth thing. I like the Hybrid and the dry mouth issue is getting better, so maybe I am adapting. I changed from the FFM 431 because of soreness on the bridge of the nose. I remember when I started this journey I used a nasal mask, and really experienced dry mouth. Hopefully you will adjust, keep the mouth closed and avoid the issue of dry mouth.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:32 pm

You can mouth breath within a full face mask. As long as you don't have leaks from the mask's seal the machine is happy and can deliver good treatment. You could use a nasal mask with a chinstrap (like me, see below) to stop air flowing thru your mouth and thus stop the dry mouth.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun May 06, 2012 6:35 pm

Try to learn ( by practicing all day) to sleep with your tongue on the roof of your mouth. That will reduce airflow in your mouth and reduce the drying effect.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon May 07, 2012 3:26 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:If you are a mouth breather and you have your humidifier maxed-out, there's really not much you can do. I also have dry mouth, but is not unbearable. There's not much you can do about it.

Please place your equipment in your profile.

Am I likely to get used to it? The problem is that it is the dryness that is waking me up. And it only seems to happen during the last couple hours. I am fin until then.

Not sure why you can't see my equipment listed. I added them to my profile the same day I signed up, and I see them in every post on my computer screen.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon May 07, 2012 3:35 am

Just to be clear.

I HAVE to sleep with my mouth open!!! This is not an option.

I cannot get enough air if I try to breathe through my nose only. This is why I am using a full face mask. Using a nasal mask or holding my tongue in place will cause me to suffocate. I am a mouth breather all night and most of the day. I simply do not have enough air flow through my nose to get sufficient oxygen if I am active or lying down. I also have asthma due to my low air capacity and allergies.

I have done a lot of searching on this website as well as others, and most examples of dry mouth are dealing with nasal masks. I am using a full face mask, but I am still having dry mouth in the later hours of my sleep. I have turned the humidifier up, and it seems to work for awhile, as it the dry mouth arrives later. But it is waking me up because it is so dry. And I can't drink any water without getting up and taking off my mask.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 07, 2012 6:12 am

This is the very reason I had to return the Silkgel full face.
The bottom edge barely cleared my lower lip--and then only when my mouth was closed.
Odd sizing paradigm. I may have been able to go for a medium it I had a really wide face.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 am

Biotene mouth wash helps some. My mouth gets very dry when I sleep deep.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:54 am

I have always been a mouth breather as well due to a deviated septum so I use a full face mask. I also use Biotene spray wich does help but I still wake up two or tree times a night with a dry mouth. The only medical solution I have found is ti have a surgical procedure to correct the partial blockage. I looked into that and have some reservations as to if it would be worth the trouble. If your under 40 it might be a little more attractive to seriously consider a surgical option but your ear-nose and throat doctor would be the best place to seek advice on the procedure.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon May 07, 2012 10:56 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:

Am I likely to get used to it? The problem is that it is the dryness that is waking me up. And it only seems to happen during the last couple hours. I am fin until then.
Many of us tend to do more mouthbreathing during REM when the muscles do a maximum relax. We are having more REM sleep during the latter part of the night so then is when the dry mouth is most noticeable.

About the Biotene mouthwash and Biotene spray, these are the wrong products. You should try Biotene gel. Somewhere in the forum is a nice post that taught me how to use it. It is very helpful (but not a perfect solution). I put it between my gums and teeth before masking up. It helps for quite a few hours and there is some still remaining at wake up time.

Also be sure to brush your teeth and floss before going to bed. Dry mouth can contribute to tooth decay and gum disease so hygiene is important. Biotene gel also helps to neutralize acids and has enzymes that kill harmful bacteria.

Have you looked into surgery to open up your nasal passages? Many people here have had it and report good results. Search for deviated septum and turbinate reduction.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Post by Guest » Mon May 07, 2012 11:20 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:Just to be clear.

I HAVE to sleep with my mouth open!!! This is not an option.

I cannot get enough air if I try to breathe through my nose only. This is why I am using a full face mask. Using a nasal mask or holding my tongue in place will cause me to suffocate. I am a mouth breather all night and most of the day. I simply do not have enough air flow through my nose to get sufficient oxygen if I am active or lying down. I also have asthma due to my low air capacity and allergies.

I have done a lot of searching on this website as well as others, and most examples of dry mouth are dealing with nasal masks. I am using a full face mask, but I am still having dry mouth in the later hours of my sleep. I have turned the humidifier up, and it seems to work for awhile, as it the dry mouth arrives later. But it is waking me up because it is so dry. And I can't drink any water without getting up and taking off my mask.
Are you aware that the heated humidity can actually make nasal breathing worse? It can cause swelling of the tissue in the nasal passages and closes them off.
Have you tried turning your humidifier heat setting to "OFF" and using "passover" humidification (water in tank but no heat)? In the area you live, there should already be a decent amount of relative humidity in the air.

Do you do nasal cleansing before bedtime? (netipot or whatever works) If not, try that, too.

Mouth-breathing, even with a full face mask is going to result in a dry mouth. Anything you can do to minimize or eliminate it is what you need to shoot for. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box and do things that may not sound logical or what other people do.

Also, make sure the area of the mask that seals the upper area of your nose is not too tight. Sometimes too much pressure in that area may restrict nasal air intake.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Mon May 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Are you aware that the heated humidity can actually make nasal breathing worse? It can cause swelling of the tissue in the nasal passages and closes them off.
Have you tried turning your humidifier heat setting to "OFF" and using "passover" humidification (water in tank but no heat)? In the area you live, there should already be a decent amount of relative humidity in the air.
Good point Guest.
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon May 07, 2012 2:49 pm

One other trick is to hydrate as well as you can during the day (stopping soon enough to avoid having to wake to urinate at night). The more hydrated you are to begin with, the less your mouth will dry out at night.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Jaknitz, Rested Gal is (was) a mouth brether. She used a mask on her mouth and blocked her nose. Didn't she?