Possible Fix for Moving Chin Straps?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
-SWS

Possible Fix for Moving Chin Straps?

Post by -SWS » Sat May 05, 2012 2:23 pm

We currently have a couple threads that mention difficulty keeping chin straps in place. Over the years we have had many threads complaining about wandering chin straps.

Does anyone have opinions or experience using medical adhesive to keep a chin strap in place? Some of the user reviews for this product praise the ability for medical adhesive to keep clothes in place:
http://www.amazon.com/IT-Stays-Body-Adh ... 948&sr=8-1

So I'm wondering if that same technique will work to keep chin straps in place... Or are migrating chin straps fixed with a better technique?

Suzjohnson

Re: Possible Fix for Moving Chin Straps?

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat May 05, 2012 2:38 pm

The first night I used my chinstrap, it wanted to creep forward, toward my face, off the top of my head so if the goal with this sticky product is to anchor something in place, I think I would rather not use it in my hair. The Deluxe chinstrap comes with two separate narrow straps that have velcro on the ends. I took one of these and attached it around the back of my head which kept the chinstrap from it's inexorable journey toward my face. I'm assuming that the second strap could be used across the forehead to prevent a backward journey. If I had any other sort of chinstrap, think I would use this supplemental strap idea and try to duplicate it. My hair is frightening enough in the morning without adding stickum to the mess! LOL!!

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

-SWS

Post by -SWS » Sat May 05, 2012 2:42 pm

Suzjohnson wrote:The first night I used my chinstrap, it wanted to creep forward, toward my face, off the top of my head so if the goal with this sticky product is to anchor something in place, I think I would rather not use it in my hair. The Deluxe chinstrap comes with two separate narrow straps that have velcro on the ends. I took one of these and attached it around the back of my head which kept the chinstrap from it's inexorable journey toward my face. I'm assuming that the second strap could be used across the forehead to prevent a backward journey. If I had any other sort of chinstrap, think I would use this supplemental strap idea and try to duplicate it. My hair is frightening enough in the morning without adding stickum to the mess! LOL!!

Suz
I wouldn't use it in my hair either. I wonder if applying the adhesive to the face and chin can help anchor the chin strap? Dunno...

sol

Post by sol » Sat May 05, 2012 2:43 pm

my chinstrap with adjustable top and back straps doesn't move and does a good job in keeping mask in place
http://www.cpapaustralia.com.au/shoppin ... strap.html

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat May 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes, that one looks like it work well. This is the one I have and like a lot. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/deluxe ... hleak.html. The small straps come completely off and can be placed anywhere you prefer plus the whole thing is adjustable and would accommodate any sized head. Price isn't bad either.

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat May 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat May 05, 2012 4:19 pm

LSAT wrote:PapCap....PapCap...PapCap.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pursle ... otton.html
Do you mean PapCap? (sorry) Isn't it a bit warm? I could probably really like that during the Winter but I might run screaming into the night during the heat of summer. Work hard at not sleeping in A/C.

Suz

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Sat May 05, 2012 5:45 pm

I took about a 2 inch piece of the gripper part of velcro and sewed it on the under side of the headband part. It sticks into your hair, grips great, and is not painful.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 05, 2012 5:57 pm

I 'd rather skip the strap and just use the tape.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat May 05, 2012 6:03 pm

-SWS,

I find that if I put my chin strap on first, and then my mask/head gear, that I have virtually no problem with the chin strap slipping. It might be a matter of which chin strap you are using, as just like masks, chin straps seem to work/fit either very good or very bad depending on the individual user.

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright