How to deal with air leaks with "Quattro FX"?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
beddersleeper

How to deal with air leaks with "Quattro FX"?

Post by beddersleeper » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:39 am

Have been sleeping with BIPAP (Respironics System 1) for four nights. Mask used is ResMed Quattro FX. I think that I am getting some air leaks when I sleep on my side. I noticed that if I am on my back, I do not hear any air leaks. Turn to my side and I hear air leaving. I think it is leaving at the top of the mask (above my nose) and on the bottom part of my cheek that is on the pillow. Any ideas to help get a better seal? I am wearing a size "M" mask. Do you think I might need a size "Small" mask? Thanks in advance.
I'm all for better sleeping. Aren't you?

MaxDarkside

Re: How to deal with air leaks with "Quattro FX"?

Post by MaxDarkside » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:07 am

beddersleeper wrote:Have been sleeping with BIPAP (Respironics System 1) for four nights. Mask used is ResMed Quattro FX. I think that I am getting some air leaks when I sleep on my side. I noticed that if I am on my back, I do not hear any air leaks. Turn to my side and I hear air leaving. I think it is leaving at the top of the mask (above my nose) and on the bottom part of my cheek that is on the pillow. Any ideas to help get a better seal? I am wearing a size "M" mask. Do you think I might need a size "Small" mask? Thanks in advance.
What you describe is what I experience, exactly. At night, I was getting "face farts" (the silicon seal squeaking / making noise while leaking) and air blown into my eyes which disturbed my sleep. I made a triangular/oval-like liner (soft cloth, like well washed cotton tee shirt material) that goes between the seal and my face and my leak rate went up a bit, but I don't get the distraction, including not getting air blown into my eyes from leaking at the top, and I sleep better. I do I do I do If you are not a seamstress or like me should not be trusted with scissors (OK, that's a joke) then Karen at Pad-a-Cheek makes them for that mask...
http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Maskliners.html

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:13 am

In addition to the Pad A Cheek mask liner, I also have used liners from REMzzzs. And there are also liners from Quiet Us Liners:

http://remzzzs.com/
http://quietusliners.com/

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:52 am

I will also recommend the Padacheek mask liner.

I tried the Quattro FX, but I am a side sleeper as well and could never get the nose bridge area to seal. I switched to the mirage quattro with the head rest as it is much more stable on my face. The mask also has a dial setting to adjust the pressure on the bridge area to get the mask to seal. I use a padacheek liner and I have one of those bead pillows that I can push around and make space for the mask.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

PerryB

Post by PerryB » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 am

Same experience, go back to the quatro mirage, and get the resmed liners. I wanted desperately to stick with the FX and was miserable (padacheek liner and remeds did not fix leaks from sleeping on my side). Instant success and sleep!

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Add me to the padacheek mask liner vote. It works.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:38 am

I have been using the quattro FX for a year and I am pretty happy with it.
I read this thread last night and then paid greater attention to my mask fit.
I checked my ResScan data and for the last month my stats have been 0.0 for median leak and 2.4 for 95% leak. I was surprised to see such good numbers.
I am noticing that the top of the mask is not at my nose bridge, but more at the middle or just above the middle of my nose, and the bottom straps are snugger than the top straps.
Good mask placement and strap fitting could be a factor in leaks, and I'm just offering this as something to check. You might also review the fitting video at the the resmed site.
I was never happy at all with the mirage or the ultra mirage and so even after all the tips to try, it may just be that the quattro FX does not fit your face. The padacheek liner is essential to me for comfort and good fit.
As to side sleeping, I too am a side sleeper and I found an inexpensive "memory foam" pillow at Marshalls that seems to work well. It has an indentation for your neck and I can easily get the mask to "hang over" the edge.
From reading many threads on the quattro FX it seems that people really like it or really dont. I could never get those masks with the forehead screw to sit right.

halchess

Post by halchess » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 pm

I have been using this mask for about 7 months and like it. However, I find that the liner starts leaking on my nasal bridge after about 6 weeks of daily use. Could be that it stretches? Has anyone else had this experience. This is my 2nd QFX mask.

osako

Post by osako » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Based on what I've seen on this board, the Quattro FX is a hit or miss mask. It seems to leak a bit for most people. Some find ways to cope with it, and others don't. Maybe most masks are this way, I don't know since its the only one I've ever used. I have been using the mask for 6 months and I've learned how to make it work for me. In the beginning I often got the leaks that you describe when on my side. Washing the mask liner every morning and washing my face before going to bed seems to help a lot. When that doesn't help I tilt my head slightly into the pillow and the weight of my head seems to keep the mask sealed. I tried a Padacheek liner after reading recommendations on this board. Seems like a nice company and a well made product. The liner did help a bit with nose bridge leaks, however, it was one more moving part that required cleaning so eventually I stopped using it.

sandman19

Post by sandman19 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:27 pm

The size and shape of your face may be the problem. I am a 6 ft 215 pound guy and the bridge of my nose was too narrow to use the FX. I love my Mirage Quattro, and I am using a SMALL size. Did the person at your DME really know how to fit the mask?
Good luck.

osako

Post by osako » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:32 pm

halchess wrote:I have been using this mask for about 7 months and like it. However, I find that the liner starts leaking on my nasal bridge after about 6 weeks of daily use. Could be that it stretches? Has anyone else had this experience. This is my 2nd QFX mask.
I've found the mask liner breaks down quickly, mostly because of skin oils or harsh soaps. Try gently washing the liner every morning with very, very mild soap. And rinse it well. You may get a few weeks more out of it.